Recommended (preferrably) combo-amps to use with an RG7321? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Recommended (preferrably) combo-amps to use with an RG7321?

Hey there... The newb's at it again! Since supply and variation of good amps here in Sweden is pretty scarce if you wanna fool around and find yourself a suitable amp, I found it to be a better idea to ask y'all instead. And also because I know jack-crap about electric guitar-gear in general. :P The styles I'm currently playing are rock, funk, metal and also a bit of ballads. I'm thinking that I'll keep to those styles.
I'm getting an RG7321 (Well, actually, my parents are gonna buy it since I've put up such a kickass effort in school this year. ), and I've only tried it with two rigs: a Roland Cube-30, which has a nasty sound for its size, but the downside being its maximum output and that it's ****ING EXPENSIVE if you consider the fact that you could get an amp with 3 times the maximum output if you just add 50% to the price of the Cube, so that pretty much rules this amp out.
The second rig I've had the fortune to put this guitar to the test with was a, more or less monstrous, Line6 Spider-II Head/Cab. This rig itself is also out of the question since I don't have the dinero to get this for myself, but soundwise - I loved it. I digged the "dirty-yet-chrystal-clear" sound of the Metal-distorsion, as well as the beautiful and slightly eerie sound of the Clean channel. All in all, these thingies made the best out of the standard AH7-1 and AH7-2 pups that comes with the Ibanez RG7321.
Now, the thing is, I've got a lock set on the Spider-II 212 Combo amp and here's where the beef comes into play: I haven't tried out the amp with the guitar, and I have to make a downpayment if I want the store with the best prices to buy in a few o' those amps: Something which I'm not ready to do without some third party counselling. And that's where you guys come into play.
What I'd want you to do (If you'd be so kind as to help me out in this situation) would be to comment a bit on the Spider-II 212, as well as recommend some other amps. Mind, I want the amps that you'd eventually recommend me to have lots of distorsion channels to minimize the cost of the gear I'd eventually have to buy in addition of the amp. The Spider-II 212 looks great because it has 12 different amp-models and some effects too. The only thing really missing would be a wah-wah-pedal.
So, to cut things short: Along with the amp that you recommend, add some info about the price, the availible distorsion-modes, maintenance requirements, eventual flaws and drawbacks and describe the sound and feel of it! Upper price-tag roof lies at about 500-600 USD.

I'm sorry if I'm a tad too demanding, but it's better to be too demanding than not to, because I dont wanna plunge myself head-first into a business-deal that'd leave me skinned with a product I'm not fully satisfied with.
Finally, THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 10:15 AM

I dont know much about them, but I've read lots of good things about the Peavey Triple XXX combos!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

I just checked the Triple XXX on the Peavey website, and I've gotta say - I like the sound.
The only problems being the following:

1. It busts my maximum investment-cap by 1000 USD (:P)

2. It's only got three amp-models (Well, six, if I'm generous.), while the Line6 Spider-II costs a third of what the Peavey Triple XXX does, while it also has twice the amount of amp models.

However, I'll give you props for the advice, sam. Thanks man!

EDIT: And an additional, offtopic question: I've heard lots of good things about the EMG707-pup, but what differs an active pup from a standard pup?
And could you also give me some info on the EMG707, soundwise?
Also, from what I've heard, you've gotta expand the cavities in the RG7321 to fit in an EMG707.... Is this true?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 02:26 PM

you're welcome dude!
as much as I think Line6 can be good sometimes, I'd really stay away from those Spider amps. Ok they arent bad at low volumes (well its a digital sound...) but they really dont do the job well on stage, even small ones. The sound is, I dont know, it's cracking, breaking... hope you get the idea!

active pickups have more output than passive ones. And yes, you need to route your guitar to make the EMGs fit in there.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

You or someone else really need to explain that a bit deeper, since I've only had good experiences with Line-6 so far, and up to date it seems like the most bang-for-you-buck-wise alternative.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 05:36 PM

its a good amp for the buck, no doubt about that. But I once tried to push a Spider 112 (older version) and it sounded "broken". Maybe the cab just couldnt handle it, I dont know... the sound was very thin, almost empty. Fizzy or something.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 10:31 PM

I have absolutely no problem with my Line6 Flextone II (60-watt, 1x12) sounding bad at loud volumes. The only problems I've ever had at loud volumes was that the 1x12 combo couldn't handle the bass it was putting out. That and because it's the cheap model it overheats under hot lights, etc. and shuts off on its own. Not a big problem, just needs a fan behind it (the heads come with fans built in).
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the Spider II 212 has a heating-problem?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
Does anyone know if the Spider II 212 has a heating-problem?
I've heard the Spider II head had a problem of cutting out randomly while being tested in the store, and that sounds a lot like the heating problem I have with my Flextone II. As long as you follow the instructions in the manual (don't put it right next to something, make sure there's good airflow all around it) and put a fan behind it if you're on a hot stage it should be ok.

As long as you're ok without and effects loop that is.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
2. It's only got three amp-models (Well, six, if I'm generous.), while the Line6 Spider-II costs a third of what the Peavey Triple XXX does, while it also has twice the amount of amp models.
That's the thing with modeling amps... Sure, the XXX only has three distinct channels, with two modes each, while the Spyder has double that. But, do you NEED double that? My main recording rig for a while was a Johnson J-station, and while the flexibility of having 30 or so different amp models (i forget the exact figure) was pretty cool, I found myself recording with only about three of them with any degree of regularity; the Blackface, the Recto, and the "Hot rod" (mark I). Every once in a while I'd use something else, but a good 95% of the sounds I'd track came from one of those models. And the kicker? I used the same cab model for all of them.

Also, while the XXX only has three channels and a total of six distinct preamp sounds (which is a LOT, anyway), odds are each of those sounds will be (subjectively) "better" than the twelve or so Spyder models. Of course, you may prefer the sound of the Spyder, which is cool and if so is a great reason to buy it, but since odds are you won't be using more than three or four sounds with any degree of regularity, it makes sense to go for an amp that hits those three or four "tones in your head" as well as possible, and not for one that gets you reasonably close but also does ten other sounds.

Your first objection, of course, is still a pretty strong one.

What sort of tones are you going for?

-D
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

A crystal clear clean tone, a bit of a "muffled" blues tone, so to say, and a mega-massive filthy, but distinct, metal-tone.

Got to try out the Spider II 112 today, since the shop had got it in...
The distorsion went in and out at places, as well as the guitar B-string being ridiculously overtuned. (I think it was tuned to ****in' D or something!)
Very well, I plugged it in and played, only to discover that my guitar-playing has suffered tremendously for the month I haven't played... (My acustic guitar fell down forwards which made the head snap... I haven't had the patience or time to prod myself down to the workshop to get it fixed.)
But still, the clean channel is wonderful, while the metal has sort of lost its autori-tah... However, the real star for me was the blues channel, which had a pretty great sound.
Still, I was a bit let down, sound not really being what I'd expected it to be.
And the fact that I kept doing accidential bends CONSTANTLY didn't help at all.... (Are there any methods of preventing this? Preventing accidential bends from pushing the strings towards the fretboard too hard, that is.)
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 03:44 PM

well i just purchased a new amp after being in the same situation you are in. When i first started looking line 6 was the way i was going to go, but when i tired it out, the low volume was terrible. and the insane was just stupid. so i tried out some peavy and some crate. turns out i picked up the crate, got a good deal on it. but after a month of owning the amp i wished that i got a tube combo. try look'in for a mesa DC-3 or a subway rocket. or you could always go for a nice marshall.

if i could do it again. i would go for the mesa, but if you like the line 6, then Giv'r

Dew
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Rite, so you've got any specific Marshall of Peavey models to recommend me (within my priceclass ?)? The ones suggested by sam did sound good, but as said before - just 1000 dollars too much.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 08:17 PM

Re: Recommended (preferrably) combo-amps to use with an RG7321?

(resurrected from the dead )

I'd like it with the newer Fender FM amps, esp. the 2x12 100 watt model. Otherwise, I've had good results with a Zoom GFX 5 as preamp/fx, going through a Fender Deluxe 85 (late 1980's) SS combo amp's power section. I just cut out the speaker sims for any patch I use, and it sounds great. Holds up well in ridiculously loud volume, even with the stock Fender/Eminence speaker. (A Celestion 100 watt speaker would be even better, though.)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Re: Recommended (preferrably) combo-amps to use with an RG7321?

Found the ideal solution two years later. POD XT Live with the amplification of your choice. (Running it through my Cube30 at the moment. Would consider getting a cab if I need to amplify it on my own whenever the situation arrives)

Tags
air norton , clean tone , combo amp , electric guitar , extension cab , fender deluxe , peavey triple xxx , roland cube , tube combo , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode