Redifining the term "Players condition" - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Redifining the term "Players condition"

Well the USA custom graphic that I snagged for $300 got here a couple of days ago,and I gotta say whoever is responsible for the battle damage visited upon this one oughta be dragged outside and horsewhipped.

I took off the ancient scum covered strings and applied lemon oil to the fretboard and polished the frets.......it cleaned up really nicely. As you'll see from the pics,this one has some SERIOUS mileage!! I have a green EVO for the bridge and I have a new Dimarzio SDS-1 with a green cover I'm gonna put in the neck. I'll also have to have the wiring redone. I think I will keep this one though as I'm confident that it'll end up being a good playing and sounding guitar at least. Aesthetically though...well that's another story,but hey,if they can get away with asking $25,000 for the EVH replicas,who am I to complain about the super reliced condition of this one? After all to me at least,playability and tone are by far the most important aspects of any guitar.

By uberthrall

By uberthrall

By uberthrall

By uberthrall
Perhaps the worst flaw on the entire guitar......does it look like to any of you that some genious let a lit cigarette burn down there?

By uberthrall

By uberthrall

So there you have it. Structurally pretty damn sound,but far removed from it's original glory cosmetically. Looking forward to seeing what you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 02:13 PM

Re: Redifining the term "Players condition"

Before you flog someone lemme ask you something. What would you say to Steve bout the conditioin of Evo?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Before you flog someone lemme ask you something. What would you say to Steve bout the conditioin of Evo?

Well I haven't seen it up close,but your point is well taken....it also supports my overall attitude towards this one. Looks are secondary....playability and tone are paramount. But damn,you'd think anyone with a sliver of a brain would excersise a bit more care with one of these graphic guitars......I know I would.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberthrall View Post
But damn,you'd think anyone with a sliver of a brain would excersise a bit more care with one of these graphic guitars......I know I would.

I think we can agree on that.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 06:23 PM

I personally think that cigarette burn looks pretty cool, from that picture I suppose it kinda fits with the graphics.

Maybe you can just refinish the sides and back, and then get the graphics touched up.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 06:53 PM
ME.

Love those graphics.

Oke it's damaged but hey for $300 you've got yourself a very cool unique quality guitar.

Colin
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME. View Post
Oke it's damaged but hey for $300 you've got yourself a very cool unique quality guitar.
He is correct and lemme add to it. You won't be so worried bout it getting a ding on it.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Dee

I would send it to Pat Sims and get it restored. But for 300, damn, that's a good find.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 08:50 PM

I would leave it exactly the way it is and enjoy playing it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:34 PM

I've been waiting for this post . The trem somehow looks way less worn than the cosmo black Edge on my 540S. You should be happy with it, is what I think! I suppose if the finish bothers you, it'd be easy to swap the guitar body for a block-heel RG body in better shape. I personally would probably toss some good pickups in and leave it as it is! A finish like that to me looks less "bad" with wear than a solid color does. Hope you decide to keep and play it in one form or another!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Yeah, but Evo doesn't have any torch marks, theres no excuse for torch marks unless you ran into a burning music store and saved it...At least then you got a cool story to go along with the burn marks.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 03:02 AM

Reviews: 13

That looks great as is. Is the neck still clean - it looks as though it is? What a great find. What sort of pick ups are you putting in there?

Keep us posted with the restoration.

-Wolfram
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 04:17 AM

great guitar!play it!and let it be a great player!and dont mind the damage!just have fun!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Well it seems that the consensus is pretty much what I'm thinking about this one. I'm gonna throw in the green EVO and SDS-1,have her wired up and go for it. The neck is in surprisingly good shape.......the bridge has about 90% of the Cosmo finish worn off,but appears to be ok...other than the fact that the piece that holds the bar needs to be adjusted somewhat. I'm gonna take her to te shop tomorrow....hopefully I can have it back by the end of the week. I'll be sure to post pics and a review when I do. Thanks for all the feedback on this one guys,I appreciate it.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 05:33 PM

man I just LOVE that guitar!!!

Amaizing

Tags
guitar body , music store , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode