to rehabilitate my old rg560 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

to rehabilitate my old rg560

The guy who does all the repairs and stuff said 170 for the labor fee.

This includes a setup, he will clean the neck, frets, the guitar, tighten everything and such. He is going to rewire it all, install the pickups (invader in bridge and hot rails in neck) and put 10s, he says the tremelo is good and about the whammy part, part of it broke inside there so he might have to just block it ( ) he thinks he might be able to get it out.

The pickups will be 69 each so about 140. All in all 310 to make it a brand new guitar. This is cheaper then a brand new guitar so I am thinking of doing it. What you all think, am is this a rip off deal or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 08:50 PM

what year 560? those had v2's or v8's. nice axe, too. as far as the broken trem arm, that's an easy fix for an edge trem. on the back of the sleeve that holds the trem bar in is a phillips head screw that holds a wire that looks like a paper clip. the clip actually holds the bar in. if you just unscrew the screw, the broken part will sither fall out be easier to manipulate it out. as far as setups go, there is info on jemsite and rich harris' site ibanezrules.com about setups. it really easy to do if you got a decent amount of guitar type tools at your disposal-mainly allen wrenches and screwdrivers. to block an ibanez trem is almost sacreligeous. those things where made to be abused. i do all of my own setups and guitar work, so it pays to know. shoot, if your not paying much for the guitar to begin with, why not learn how to work on them yourself. its actually very easy to do and you will gain tons of experience, but if this tech wants to do it for free, you can't beat that-unless it comes back worse.
as for your pickup combination, that is a cool idea of the hot rail in the neck, question is: are you going to hook it up like a rg550/570? since the hot rail is a humbucker, it can do the coil tap to get cool clean tones. i use the hot rail in one of my strats and love to coil tap it to make it more of a versatile guitar. are you going to leave the other single alone? all in all, this is a decent deal on setup, but i hope you will be satisfied with it. make sure the neck feels right after you get it back. things to look out on is the truss rod for string relief, the height of the trem and trem angle, and intonation. these, to me, are the ESSENTIAL part of a proper setup. the shine up and fret care can come a far second to these aspects.

rich
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 11:39 PM

about the neck clean-up: can you do this yourself? it'll save $$$. if it's a matter of cleaning the fretboard i think it's not worth having others charge you for it.

except for a fret re-dress, my 560's neck has been well since 1991...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
It sounds about the going rate for a rewire and set-up to me. So if you can't, or would rather not, do the work yourself, maybe you don't have the tools, the time, or the confidence to do it yourself then in truth I don't think it's a rip off.

I would though ask him to come down a little just to haggle for the sake of haggling almost, because some places I know offer free fitting on pickups if you purchase them there especially if you're having extra work done on the guitar. He should come down to a round $300 easily, any more off might be a bit tougher.

Having said that though it is useful to learn how to do all this stuff yourself, there are great tutorials HERE on JEMsite and a 560 in pieces is the ideal opportunity to start
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks a lot everyone! The year of my rg560 is a rare one, a 87. The reason I love it so much is I had it sitting around and instead of fixing up my warlock I fixed this one up because the feel of its broken in neck and it is lighter and very easy to play while standing. The pickups had a middle coil (white) and had a sticker on the bottom "1np." It also had a seymour duncan in the bridge but no model name sticker on the bottom so oh well but the wiring was all messed up with all. The wiring of the neck pickup is there but there is no pickup haha.

Anyways yes I would gain experiance but I don't have the tools or confidence of doing it myself

The hot rails is a single coiled humbucker, would a coil tap be more expensive and how much more about? The middle position I don't know if I will bother with.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Well if it's any consolation I don't do much of my maintainance myself either and I've been playing for years

A coil tap would add to the cost of the parts, but not by much. I reckon that the repair guy would probably bundle that in with the rest of the stuff for $300 especially if you pay cash and are getting the pickups through him too.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 10:08 AM

go for the switch. so that you can tget the 550/570 type of coil taping per the 5 way. the switch is cheap. i have seen them as low as $9 as hish as $15. then wire it up like a 570. its the split 5 we are all familiar with.

rich
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98
go for the switch. so that you can tget the 550/570 type of coil taping per the 5 way. the switch is cheap. i have seen them as low as $9 as hish as $15. then wire it up like a 570. its the split 5 we are all familiar with.

rich
Ahem....560s came stock with the 5-way.
Position 1: Neck single (S1)
Position 2: Neck/Middle single
Position 3: Middle single (S1)
Position 4: Middle single/Neck-side split Humbucker
Position 5: Humbucker (V2)

No need for a coil switch.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Yea it does 5 positions, I knew it was coil split.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 01:48 PM

i was pretty sure it did the split, too. it was JIC. plus those switches are awesome! why not have a couple extra laying around? i know i do...like 3! anyway, so your all set. just download the diagram and have the tech wire it up. smooth sailing with killer tones.

rich

Tags
allen wrench , allen wrenches , clean tone , coil split , coil tap , edge trem , ibanez trem , neck pickup , pickup combination , seymour duncan , trem arm , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how much is Ibanez rg560 worth
where is the serial number on an ibanez rg560

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode