Reintroduction, and RG/Jem Mod - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Reintroduction, and RG/Jem Mod

Hello, Name's Skot. I've been a member for 10 years, but apparently it's been 4 years since I came here last lol. I'm an avid Ibanez fan, have been since I bought my first EX350 back in 1990.

I want to introduce Scarlett, a red 1996 RG470 I picked up for $150, for the sole purpose of modding her to look like a Jem. This is her story...and there are a TON of pictures. I know you folks love pictures

This is what she looked like when I got her, and why her name is Scarlett.

The first mods I did were replacing the Lo-TRS II trem, and swapping out the neck from my RG370DX, and the guts and pickguard from the same guitar. I cut the control cavity out from the top to avoid using the pickguards made for rear routed guitars because I don't like them lol

It was an attempt at getting the look of an RG750, which I've always loved, and also an upgraded version of my very first Ibanez, the aforementioned EX350. Two weeks after I did this, I found this:

So I bought it.

So then I set about doing my Jem mods, since I didn't need two guitars that looked basically the same. I used the techniques from ProjectGuitar.com to do the body work.I made a computer composite first.

Last edited by Spider-Skot; 12-15-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Re: Reintroduction, and RG/Jem Mod

Then I started cutting her up

I think I went a little crazy with the amout of paint and clear coat I used, because it took months before it was solid enough to handle. I hadn't gotten my white pearl pickguard or my Tree of Life fretboard decal yet, but I wanted to play her, so I put the black pickguard back on.

I played her at a couple of gigs, but then one night the weather was cold, and in the extreme temperature changes between the time I put her away and got her back out of the case the next day, this happened.(I didn't take this pic until much later)

I deluded myself into thinking it was kinda cool, unique, whatever, and got the rest of my parts.

Last edited by Spider-Skot; 12-15-2014 at 08:49 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

You can clearly see the finish cracks in this one.

I replaced the crappy Infinity pickups with a set of V7 humbuckers and an S1 single coil I got on e*** for $30, and put on a set of DR Red Devil strings for a splash of color. They didn't stay on for long lol

I finally decided I was going to repaint her white...the cracks were annoying me lol. So I ate her face off.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Re primered, painted and polished...

I wanted the headstock to match, but didn't feel like painting it, so I got creative with some white contact paper, which I was able to polish, and made an Ibanez logo decal from some black vinyl I had.

Then I put her together

And the finished product:

I hope you've enjoyed the Story of Scarlett
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 06:43 PM

That was cool, keep up the good work!!

Cheers!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 07:45 PM

Reviews: 2

Nice work Skot. It looks good in either black or white. What bridge did you put into it?

I've done a few of the handles using the project guitar tutorials. I've always felt like the 1" hole they suggest for the pointer finger is too big. I started using a 7/8" forstner bit for that hole......I think it looks a little cleaner.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. Yeah, the smaller hole does look better. I hadn't even thought of that, and now I'll see it every time lol. The bridge is a licensed Floyd from a Kramer. Has a nice heavy baseplate. Perfectly matched the shape of the LO-TRS II that was in it, but MUCH more stable.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:50 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Skot View Post
Thanks, guys. Yeah, the smaller hole does look better. I hadn't even thought of that, and now I'll see it every time lol. The bridge is a licensed Floyd from a Kramer. Has a nice heavy baseplate. Perfectly matched the shape of the LO-TRS II that was in it, but MUCH more stable.
That's the most important part..... it look great in there.

Don't sweat the handle, I imagine you'll do more in the future.....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 11:07 AM

one question bout monkey grip or handle what ever.
Ive seen tha most of you guys have done this by projectguitar tutorial.
Isnt easeier way to make ta monkey grip template of plywood, place it and fix it on correct spot on your rg body, and then let the router do the perfect job with ball bearing router bit?
Every next handle will be the same, correct an flawless, plus thre are way much less chances to screw the body.
Sorry for my english
Regards
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

I don't have a router. And if you go exactly by the instructions on PG, it'll be the same every time. This was my third

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode