Replace Edge Zero ZPS3 to Lo pro Edge - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By kfssdude
  • 1 Post By nzSkitzo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Replace Edge Zero ZPS3 to Lo pro Edge

Hi,
I bought an Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z at january 2012.
That guitar has an amazing look, but I donīt like the sound.

The sharp chords sustain (E, B, G) is short and weak.

My brother has an old Ibanez RG370 and it has best leading tone that my J custom. (More output and bright sustain on sharp chords).

At the begining , I think it would be an wood feature (J custom is mahogany top flamed) , but now I think it would be a tremolo feature.

I will replace the bridge pickup for evo 2.

I like the edge zero ZPS3 trem (I remove the zero point system) , but the sustain block on the trem is very thin. I think it is the problem.

It is possible replace this tremolo for lo por edge ?
If not, it is possible replace the sustain block on edge zero ?

If yes, anyone recommends any product ?

Thanks ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 11:35 AM

Re: Replace Edge Zero ZPS3 to Lo pro Edge

Seems its about both a pick-up and trem. situation you have.

Pick-up: that rg 370 probably has a cheap highout-put pickup in it whats bright and compressed, probably sounds bad when spilt or clean sounds but yeah an evo 2 should do the trick if you need something more wild.

Trem: Been a lo-pro user for years and recently examined the new zps feature, if you want more sustain and brighter sound put it back. Its about how much the trem wiggles when you play the strings, the less you get more sustain but the movement of trem is either limited or stiff.

You can also block the trem to dive-only but I wouldn't do that for such a guitar. Personally I think the zps is a very good solution.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:21 PM

FloydUpgrades.com sells solid brass upgrade tone blocks for most trems. I know hes got them for most of the edge models but I'm not sure about the zp3. You'd need to check his site.

These are great for improving sustain and resonance, but are larger than stock and will compromise some of your trem range of motion. Generally you can't pull up as much with an aftermarket block. If you dont do a lot of up-trem they're great though! Still a full floating setup so you can flutter & dive-bomb just fine.

One thing though. Your ZP trem cavity is significantly larger than a standard edge/Lo-pro cavity so I don't know if that will change the dynamics of replacing the trem with one of these older more traditional styles. I would think it wouldn't be a big deal, but I don't know for sure. Prob just have to use fewer springs as they will be stretched farther, or get longer spring claw screws so that you can adjust it farther out. But you also wanna double check the studs - never had a zp trem so I have no idea if they are the same spacing as an edge Lo-Pro. If not, I highly recommend leaving it alone. You don't wanna do a stud change with a flame top axe. I would consult a pro guitar tech before attempting it yourself just to be sure. It may be no big deal, but it definitely is not a standard direct swap type deal.

As for the pups the EVO2 is great. My favorite bridge pup these days - I have them in 2 Jems and an RG. Very versatile pup good for many different tones, and very responsive to guitar volume knob changes. At full vol it still screams! Lower output than the original EVO but in my opinion smoother and more balanced.

Good luck man!
Hoseki likes this.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:57 PM

I sent and email last month asking about blocks for the EZ. They said that it's still on their list but didn't give a time frame. I'm thinking about designing one and having a local machine shop make a couple for me out of titanium. I'm not in a rush so maybe Floydupgrades will have one by then.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:02 PM

Ti is an excellent tone block for a mahogany body but is awfully bright/trebly for an alder or basswood body in my experience. I'm having a local machine shop make a few custom Tungsten blocks to fit Edge & Lo-pro trems for my Jems & will let you know how they sound when done. Based on my research they should tonally balance Alder and basswood perfectly!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 03:35 PM

wow....I haven't had any issues with any of the 3 J Customs that I have with the Edge Zero trem's. Mine sustain great!!! I have my Jem FP2 with Edge Pro to compare with. Perhaps something is going on with the neck and how it was seated in the pocket?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 04:23 PM

I don't think my 1570 sustains badly. I just figure that a block would help. Other than a couple, most of my guitars that I've owned have sustained about the same, acoustically. I'm not in an environment where I can crank an amp so I really can't experience "sustain" that just sings and keeps going. I got back into playing after a 20 year layoff and just play at home. At this point, I'm not even sure what qualifies as good vs average sustain.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Hi,
thanks for answer.

There isn't any neck problem on guitar.

The sustain of thin chords is normal, but just a bit lower than an basswood/alder guitar.

When you play the two guitar without plug it on amp, you realize the thin chords on rg8570z stop to sound before rg370, or maybe the rg8570 concentrate your sustain on bass chords.
It make me think it would be a material trem/body problem/feature...

I saw a lot of videos on youtube about rg8570z and if you are "exigent", you figure out on that videos a subtle lower sustain on mahogany guitar on high/thin chords.

When you play, you need to compensate your strengh to extend the sustain (dynamics ?).

I like a lot the guitar and the trem, but I was expecting the best for the product category.

I give up to replace the trem, but I am waiting a evo 2 buyed on ebay arrived to replace the pickups.

Maybe it would be a mahogany feature
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:02 AM

I have an EVO2 on one of my J Customs. It's sounds nice. It may help with some of the output issues.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 PM

Reviews: 2

For me, there's NO WAY I would attempt retro fitting a Lo-Pro into ANY EZ equipped JC. You'd be cutting into a perfectly fine instrument on a "guess" that it will make the difference your hoping for. It could just as easily go the other way. Then your screwed.....

I would make sure you have an absolutely top notch setup done on it done by a true luthier. You could do a complete electronics upgrade and pups at the same time.

Why do I say take it to a luthier?? Because this is a pristine JC were talking about....not a mass produced RGwhatever. The guitar you have can give you what you want with the hardware it has on it currently.........let a pro have at it for awhile, then be amazed at what you get back.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:39 PM

I did this to my RG8570Z a few months back and now have my ultimate guitar = ) will post pics later.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

hi nzSkitzo ,
Thanks for information.
The replace make the guitar sound better ?
You need any work on guitar to replace the trem ?
You change the pickups too ?

Please, tell what you change on that guitar and if it make the guitar sound better ...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:39 PM

Sorry for the late reply but check this link

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/ed...ge-121098.html

I wouldnt say the guitar sounds any different, I did it because the Original edge is more comfortable for me and I hated the fine tuners on the Edge Zero. I havn't changed the pickups.
Hoseki likes this.

Tags
edge zero , lo pro edge , rg8570z , sustain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode