replacement bridge pickup for a neckthru guitar i.e. rgt3120 - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Re: replacement bridge pickup for a neckthru guitar i.e. rgt

"I'd love to hear your opinions on it, I'm slightly intrigued by a pup somewhat designed "By the people"
Seems like it's based more around vintage tone as opposed to a high output distortion pup."

That's exactly true. The high/mid/low balance is very vintage meaning there's a scoop in the mid. The high is bright but not cold and doesn't hurt your ears, which is the advantage over duncan custom. Because of the scoop in mid, low strings have little gain. But high strings sing beatifully.
Low is very very deep which is my favourate character of this pickup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 11:43 AM

I also own a RGT 3120.If I were keeping it,I would put a Steve's Special in the bridge.I don't require all the extra mids that a neck thru guitar produces.Paf Pros in the neck are okay but I do['t want them in the bridge.

I generally like alnico 5 type magnets and a DC resistance of about 13 to 16.And not too much actualy output.Another good option is the Duncan PATB-1 paralell axis trembuckers.They are alot like the S. Special but with more highs.they have a somewhat scooped EQ curve so they are perfect for the RGT 3120.I have a pair of these in my Carvin DC 145 and they really help get the tone in order.They also clean right up when you split them and they give you spankingly clean tones.definitely a great pup that most people wouldn't think of using.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Secondino
I also own a RGT 3120.If I were keeping it,I would put a Steve's Special in the bridge.I don't require all the extra mids that a neck thru guitar produces.Paf Pros in the neck are okay but I do['t want them in the bridge.

I generally like alnico 5 type magnets and a DC resistance of about 13 to 16.And not too much actualy output.Another good option is the Duncan PATB-1 paralell axis trembuckers.They are alot like the S. Special but with more highs.they have a somewhat scooped EQ curve so they are perfect for the RGT 3120.I have a pair of these in my Carvin DC 145 and they really help get the tone in order.They also clean right up when you split them and they give you spankingly clean tones.definitely a great pup that most people wouldn't think of using.
Hey Paul,

Good to see you over here too from JP's site. We've rapped a little before about pickups, but I wanted to get your gut feel on this whole mahogany vs. basswood vs. alder thing. I am looking to upgrade the pickups in my S540 solid mahogany guitar. I am THINKING about replacing the neck IBZ/USA F1 with an Air Norton and the IBZ/USA F2 with Steve's Special. I am trying to get away from the too dark tone I get with the Tone Zone in my basswood Fender HM Strat... that's why I thought the SS would be better than the TZ in my S540. Any thoughts?

I've been to the Warmoth and Tom Anderson sites trying to figure out the whole wood = tone thing, but it really didn't mean much to me.

As for the RGT3120, my local shop will only special order the damn things, so I can't play one. From the specs the neck doesn't look like it would jive with my love of the 1990 Wizard neck on my S540. I played a regular RG3120, but it was through a POS Line 6 Spyder. I wasn't pleased with the TZ or the PAF Pro in that sucker... at least thru that amp. And the neck didn't agree with me either... seemed too thick.

Anyway... I'll gab atcha later. See you over at Petrucci's site.

Later,
Jeff in Houston
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 08:18 AM

Jeff--

I have the SS in a couple mahogany guitars (RG2020x, RG1680x) and I personally find it a little too dark. If you find the TZ dark, then you maybe you should try looking to the Super Distortion series.

--B
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduersch
Jeff--

I have the SS in a couple mahogany guitars (RG2020x, RG1680x) and I personally find it a little too dark. If you find the TZ dark, then you maybe you should try looking to the Super Distortion series.

--B
Hey B...

Well I have that TZ in a basswood guitar (my Fender HM Strat) so I'm not sure I am comparing apples to apples when saying it is dark there. I had considered doing the TZ in the bridge and Humbucker From Hell in the neck, but DiMarzio told me that they thought the HFH would be too thin in that position on my S540. They made it sound like the S540 was a trebly sounding guitar and that I would be better off going with the warmer "The Breed" series of pickups. This seems to contradict what everyone is saying about mahogany... hence my confusion over this stuff.

Are you going to move your SS to another guitar then? Thought about putting an Evolution in those mahogany guitars of yours. Everything I have read about those say that they are like an icepick in the brain, but maybe in a dark guitar that would be EXACTLY what is called for?

Thanks dude,
Jeff
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 04:59 PM

Hi again guys.I take perceived tone and actual tone as two different things.For instance,when you scoop the mids out of the amp,you perceive that you are hearing more bass instead of perceiving that you are hearing less mids.

IT is similar with pickups.Basswood is good but it is very neutral in its tone.Mahogony is somewhat dark sounding but not overyly so and alder is great in my opinion for most applications,It is a bit brighter than BAsswood but I think it has a more lively sound.

A steve's special is cool since it is a ceramic magnet based pup.Ceramic magnets thend to produce tighter lows and more highs when compared to a alnico5 magnet.I think that a JB is perfect for a Mahogony guitar.It has great smooth highs without sounding harsh.The Steve's Special is a bit aggressive with biting highs.I don't like that sound alot in most guitars.But in a RGT 3120 it is a good choice.The Duncan PATB-1 is a great pup too.it has a little more detail than a Steve's Special but sounds just as ballsy.

Most woods are good but it is all about what you do with them afterwards that makes them sound good or bad.If you like,email me about the RGT 3120.I ahve one and am selling it at some point.I can tell you all about the guitar.it really is a good guitar but it isn't the right one for me is all.It has some great features even though I don't love the guitar.The neck is killer on the thing but it is not flat like an original; wizard
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 04:31 AM

Re: replacement bridge pickup for a neckthru guitar i.e. rgt3120

hey man

finally...which pick up you put in this axe??

any review about your choice?? im btwn norton and breed NECK in bridge position for my RGT3120 in the bridge... pafpro in the neck
any suggestion?

thanx!

Last edited by JuanCaca; 09-25-2006 at 04:48 PM.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 04:44 AM

hi all,

I found that my J custom's routing is only suitable for DIMARZIo pickups.
I think it's also happening to any prestige line with direct mounted system.

I put Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis Trem on my J ctm, at first i did not aware that the Parallel axis has wider body, it took a lot of time and effort to put it inside the body routing.

another one, I put Seymour Duncan Distortion TB 6, it can't sit nicely on the body, because the duncan has longer pole pieces screw ( whatever you call it), the screw hit the bottom of the routing, it makes the pickup can not sit nicely.

so, before considering to put any duncans in any prestige/ j custom especially with direct mounted pickup, please remember these :
1. you need to grind/ cut the pickup ears, the j custom/ prestige was routed to match with dimarzio ears ( triangle) while duncan ears is square.
2. You need to pay attention on the screw, most dimarzio has allen key pole pieces, most duncan has phillips-type crew pole pieces, the duncan has longer screw that will hit the bottom of the guitar routing.
3. Parallel axis trembucker is not recomennded to be used with direct-mounted prestige/j ctm, the parallel's body width is almost the same with the guitar routing width.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 04:57 AM

thanx for the advice psycoshreder! no duncans hehehe....

wats up with ur PU rguser?
any review?....

anyone has the experience here?:

BREED neck in bridge position
norton??

im beetween ....

Tags
air norton , basswood guitar , bridge pickup , bridge position , clean tone , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , duncan distortion , high strings , ibanez talman , jackson soloist , low strings , mahogany guitars , neck pickup , neck thru , paf pro , paf pros , pickup combination , seymour duncan , seymour duncan distortion , sounding guitar , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in