Replacement Pickups for RGA 121 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Replacement Pickups for RGA 121

Hi good people,

Need and recommendation on which pickups would be good replacement option for stock RGA 121 . . . How would Paf Joe and Mo Joe sound? Or Crunch Lab and Liquifire? Which one would be more versatile? Any other good combo for this guitar?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 04:41 AM

Re: Replacement Pickups for RGA 121

Nice guitar, shame they don't make them any more! I have an RGA321 SPFB; saw an 121 in London recently, wish I'd got it.

I'm in a similar position to you: thinking of changing PUs - I like PAF type sound, but have no idea what to swop-in.

let us know how you get on!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 05:37 PM

I just wrote up a thread in a different section a few mins ago.

I have the Duncan JB and Jazz combo in it now.....hate it. WAY to bright and the heavy midrange on the duncan PUPS just does not sound good in that guitar.

Ive been thinkin more along the lines for myself the D-activators. I played them in a xiphos and really liked the way they sounded! Im more into metal and shred but even still, the d-activators in the xiphos seemed really versitle.. now im wonderin how the d-activator X's sound. Either way im new to Dimarzio's PUPS.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Give us a description on what type of sound you like.

The Paf Joe and Mo Joe setup will for sure be more versatile than the Petrucci setup.
It is more "in the middle" both sound and output wise, a setup that would do a good job no matter what humbucker sound your going for. The Petrucci setup are also great, but more to the shred/metal side of things (but not limited too).
The Joe setup are more traditional, if I should put it like that.

I have 3 different RGA121 setups, one that are Tone Zone (B) and Humbucker From Hell (N), one that are Breed (B) and Breed (N) and one that are Virtual Hot Paf (B) Virtaul Paf (N).
I love all 3, but for different reasons.
The Virtual Paf are the most versatile of the 3, in my opinion. I can bring that for any gig from very soft and clean stuff, to rock and blues, fusion and shred, about up to were hard rock mets metal.

I would put the DiMarzio 36th PAF in all 3 if I would change them today.
They would be perfect for you adriandavidb.
They might be a bit to weak for you legobricks (since you are looking at high gain monsters like D-Activator X, cool pickups, but not very versatile).

Cheers!
Magnus
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
Give us a description on what type of sound you like.

The Paf Joe and Mo Joe setup will for sure be more versatile than the Petrucci setup.
It is more "in the middle" both sound and output wise, a setup that would do a good job no matter what humbucker sound your going for. The Petrucci setup are also great, but more to the shred/metal side of things (but not limited too).
The Joe setup are more traditional, if I should put it like that.

I have 3 different RGA121 setups, one that are Tone Zone (B) and Humbucker From Hell (N), one that are Breed (B) and Breed (N) and one that are Virtual Hot Paf (B) Virtaul Paf (N).
I love all 3, but for different reasons.
The Virtual Paf are the most versatile of the 3, in my opinion. I can bring that for any gig from very soft and clean stuff, to rock and blues, fusion and shred, about up to were hard rock mets metal.

I would put the DiMarzio 36th PAF in all 3 if I would change them today.
They would be perfect for you adriandavidb.
They might be a bit to weak for you legobricks (since you are looking at high gain monsters like D-Activator X, cool pickups, but not very versatile).

Cheers!
Magnus
Thank you Magnus. Your answer is helpful even though I failed to mention the sound I am looking for.

I would like to cover the range from Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb) to some Kee Marcelo's Europe staff and sometimes to go for Gary More blues tone.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 08:13 PM

Thanks! Yeah Im looking for something hotter with clarity yet can still roll back the volume for a cleaner tone. I just watched the video with chris broderick and LOVE his tone! But once again, many different things can change the way a pickup sounds like; ie. amp, amp settings, guitar tone woods, etc..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoro View Post
Thank you Magnus. Your answer is helpful even though I failed to mention the sound I am looking for.

I would like to cover the range from Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb) to some Kee Marcelo's Europe staff and sometimes to go for Gary More blues tone.

Thanks again.
That is a wide spectrum of sounds to cover :-)
Gilmours singlecoil sound to Kee's very midrange heavy (and very distorted) tone in the same pickup is really not totally possible.

But maybe something like Norton i the bridge, enough output to get the gain you need without getting so stupid that you can't clean it up and so it will splitt well. A big, fat and singing lead tone.

Then something a bit more open and less output in the neck, like maybe the 36th Paf neck or a Paf Pro (the Paf Pro being the one with most output).

Then change the switch too a DiMarzio super switch too (EP1112), and wire it like this.
http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/E.pdf
Then you will get your Les Paul type sounds in position 1, 3 and 5, a strat type (for those Gilmour singlecoil type moments) in position 4 and a tele in position 2.
A lot more versatile than the Ibanez wiring.

/Magnus
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legobricks View Post
Thanks! Yeah Im looking for something hotter with clarity yet can still roll back the volume for a cleaner tone. I just watched the video with chris broderick and LOVE his tone! But once again, many different things can change the way a pickup sounds like; ie. amp, amp settings, guitar tone woods, etc..
I think you should have a look at the D-Activator bridge and neck (not the X version).

Other possibilities then I would say Steve Special, amazing clarity and rolls back very well for the amount of output it has when fully open (but does not feel and sound as output as it looks). Very, very good note separation for that type of pickup.

/Magnus
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Magnus, thanks again. Norton - 36th is the project target. And TBH the switch thing . . . I was not aware of that, will look into it.
Many thanks again.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 04:15 AM

Like Ibanez-Mag, I too have 3 RGA121s. I recently put a Breed bridge and PAF Joe neck in one of of them and they turned out great for my needs.

Given the sounds you want, I think Ibanez-Mag recommendation of the Norton & 36th would probably be just right for your needs. Go for the switch too if you are set on trying to nail a better single coil twangy sound; it's cheap and easy to do while you are replacing pickups anyway. And soldering is always easier than de-soldering.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 09:52 AM

guitar, how did you go?

I have ordered a Dimarzio volume pot and superswitch, and have currently tried a Paf Joe/Pro combo but didn't like it. Am thinking of a Norton/36th neck combo myself.

Tags
ibanez , pickups , prestige , rga121

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode