Replacing a JPM100 P4 - what guitar would make a worthy repl - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Replacing a JPM100 P4 - what guitar would make a worthy repl

I am currently selling my JPM100 P4 to get something that has a clearcoat (I just cant deal with that matte finish). *I have considered going for the EBMM JPM or just getting another Ibanez JPM (one with a clearcoat) *but I just cant bring myself to like the look or sound of the EB JPM's and since I already have a JPM100 P1 I dont know if I can justify buying the exact same guitar only in a different color. *I was just wondering if getting an RG3120 would be a good solution? It has all the features that I want in a guitar with the exception of the tone zone in the bridge (I prefer the FRED or steve's special). *Have any of you 3120 owners swapped out the tone zone and had good results? Also for all of you that own both Ibanez JPM and RG3120 what do you guys think about the 3120? would you rather just buy a used JPM instead?. *I keep going back and forth on which guitar I am going to get because I am hoping that this one will complete my collection, any input that any of you could give would be greatly appeciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 03:39 PM

Replacing a JPM100 P4

Sounds like a USRG30 would probably meet your needs fairly well.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 06:42 PM

Replacing a JPM100 P4

The JPM was the first Ibanez I got (back in 1996), and it was my favorite guitar for several years. It was followed by a UV777, a Parker Fly, a Steinberger, a PRS, a JS1000, a Strat, and probably a couple others, but the JPM continued to be my favorite without a doubt. Then I discovered the RG3120, which I bought as a backup to the JPM. Over time, it became my favorite guitar over the JPM and everything else I own (including Jems, J-Customs, USA Customs, etc.--perhaps the RGT3120 will be able to dethrone it). Now, with all the guitars I currently play, I actually have two 3120's because I like them so much. Compared to the JPM, in a nutshell...

1) It's got better tonal versatility due to the 5-way switch.
2) The JPM seems to be voiced a little more for metal, and I think the 3120 has more of a "exceptionally loud but still usable for classic rock" feel. Could be due to the mahogany body--I really love the solid feel of it.
3) Although I love the JPM finish, the 3120 really has a more tasteful and universally appealing finish.

Only downside of the 3120 (to some people, at least) is the thinner wizard neck. Personally, I don't get too hung up on different neck profiles, but it is pretty different from the JPM neck. Also, some people don't care for the stock pickups, but they really did grow on me. Depends on the type of music you're playing, I guess. I've played various neck pickups in mahogany RG's (Air Norton, FRED, PAF Pro, Breed neck, Super II) and various bridge pickups (Steve's Special, Super III, Tone Zone, Breed Bridge, Super Distortion, and EMG's)--each sounds good in its own way. I'd give it a chance stock before rushing out to replace the pickups.

The USRG's are pretty nice guitars too, but I think they have a pretty drastically different sound due to the alder body. They're a lot brighter, and to me, sound a little "mushier" on the distorted channels. The necks (PBC tension free) are amazing. These guitars are getting harder to find, and some have been catching ridiculous amounts of coin on e-bay. Chances are you'll be able to get a much better deal on a 3120 in better condition.

Anyway, hope this helps... if you have any doubts, just remember...

:loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: Buy a 3120! :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco:

--B
http://w3.one.net/~brentano/studio/
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Replacing a JPM100 P4

Bduersch, I have been on your webpage many times in the past and I have to say that your collection is awesome. *You have great taste in guitars and finishes. *I think that I am going to get a 3120, mainly because of the universally applicable finish and 5-way switching, plus I do already have a jpm. *Vaijem777, thanks for your suggestion but my brother owned a USRG30 (its probably the one that bduersch referred to as going for a lot of money on ebay; he got $1125 for it!!) and I have to say there is just too much going on (the matching flame/quilted headstock really puts it over the edge). *Plus the body shape and construction just doesn't feel right, and the tone is not really what I am looking for, there just something I dont like about alder. *I hate to pass up an ibanez JPM but who knows maybe I will convince my brother to get it. *

(Edited by Soloist at 12:27 pm on April 11, 2002)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 12:45 AM

Replacing a JPM100 P4

Quote:
there just something I dont like about alder.
Phew! I thought I was the only one! The 7V is about all the alder I'll ever need around here (unless, of course, I could trade it for that sweet amber USRG from e-bay. I'm a sucker for anything with a flame/quilt top).

Good luck w/ the 3120!

--B
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 07:23 AM

Replacing a JPM100 P4

Can I answer even though I don't have the J-C avatar?

I can't agree more...the 3120 sounds like the perfect compliment to your JPM. *And if you get a good price out of your P4, you should come out ahead a few bucks.

Interesting comments on the USRG30...I remember playing one a couple years ago, and side-byside liked my S540 (mahogany) with IBZ/USA pups better. *But as time passed I've thought I wanted to try one again...mostly for the narrower fretboard (like the JPM), but now you guys have me wondering about the alder. *I think it's the perfect wood for strats, but maybe not an RG?

USRG prices on ebay are an interesting thing...seems like I've recently seen a couple go for around $500.
Greg

(Edited by gkelm at 7:24 am on April 12, 2002)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 07:54 AM

Replacing a JPM100 P4

Greg--

Depends on what your cup of tea is... personally, I think that alder sounds "mushy" (for lack of a better word), but I know a lot of people swear by it. When I first got my 7V and USRG, I was playing lots of Dream Theater, and that's when I noticed it most... Alder doesn't seem to have the well-defined "crunch" that either basswood or mahogany have. Clean sounds were incredibly good, but I do so little clean work in the grand scheme of things that I focus more on how a guitar sounds with oodles of distortion. I thought it made my playing sound sloppier. For a while I had an RG570CTAM (alder as well) that I put an Air Norton & Steve's Special in, and it still didn't have the right chunk to it. So I've since sold the USRG and RG570, and held onto the 7V just because it plays so great.

--B
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 09:25 AM

Replacing a JPM100 P4

You should definitely come out ahead on the deal if you go for a 3120, unless your JPM is well worn. *One other consideration, and similar to a 3120 in some ways would be a USA custom exotic wood series. *I could be wrong but I believe some of them had the Ultra neck which is just great, I would double check to guitars section for that. *Mine was a quilt maple one, just beautiful, had pafs in it. *The pafs were not my cup of tea in the bridge...just to much bounce and wasn't focused enough. *Price wise, 3120's are going for less than $800. *THere is one at GC near me on clearance for $750, it's a TW.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 09:43 AM

Replacing a JPM100 P4

Holy Crap Brent, your collection is stunning, what an awesome assortment. *I have to say, other than the UVMC (great swirl) the JPM 90 is the prom queen...if only it had seven strings. *One question, your swirled 2020x, were the volume knob and the pickup selector switch moved to more of a JPM configuration when the guy customized it, or were they configured like that from the factory.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 01:51 PM

Replacing a JPM100 P4

Thanks! All the mods to the 2020 were done by the previous owner, including the 3-way piezo switch, moving volume knob, (unfortunately) replacing the 5-way blade with a 3-way switch; all was done prior to having it swirled by Herc.

Interestingly, for someone who put a lot of effort into it to make it "JPM-like", they skimped and put a Les Paul 3-way switch in it instead of using the special 3-way switch that allows for the split/parallel center position. That has since been remedied, of course.

--B
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Replacing a JPM100 P4

Well my JPM100 sold for a surprisingly low $800. *It was in great condition too, oh well.. It looks like I am going to have to put in some money to get the 3120. *I am going to be buying new from Rich because I figure that if I am going to be buying a production model I might as well start out with something that has absolutely no wear of any kind. *Well, thanks a lot for the valuable input everyone.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 02:41 PM

Replacing a JPM100 P4

Pat yourself on the back for supporting the economy!!! *Good luck and enjoy the new axe. *Only $800 for a JPM, I knew the market was depressed, but that is depressing...oh well, as long as you get what you want in the end, who cares...

Tags
air norton , alder body , body shape , breed bridge , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , custom exotic wood , custom exotic wood series , ebmm jpm , ibanez jpm , jpm neck , les paul , mahogany body , neck pickup , neck pickups , paf pro , parker fly , pickup selector switch , production model , super distortion , tone zone , usa custom exotic wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode