Replacing pickups in a 550... - Duncans? Dimarzios? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Replacing pickups in a 550... - Duncans? Dimarzios?

I have been to both web sites, but I am having a hard time figuring out which pickups I really want. *First of all, I find that all the people who have the tone I love are playing w/Duncans, but the people who have my playing style use DiMarzio. *What I want to know is, which Duncan to use in a RG550? *I have a Distortion Trembucker, but when I went to the Duncan website their "tone wizard" recommends Custom5, etc...MUCH different descriptions than the Distortion. *Has anyone here heard a distortion in a 550?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 03:00 AM

Replacing pickups in a 550...

give us an exhaustive list of the guitarists who have your fave tone.
i'm sure that the Jemsite guys will be pleased to help you, if you describe the tone you like.

nuno
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 05:28 AM

I have a TB-6 (Distortion)in an RG550. I switched a TB-4(JB) for it. Didn't like the JB. The TB-6 seems to have a lot of everything, Low, Mid, sizzling highs. It has much output, too. To my ears, when I compare it to the DiMarzios I have-Evolution, Blaze- the Duncan seems grittier distortion wise where the DiMarzios sound smoother. That's my impression. It's alright. It was my foray into Duncan territory. I doubt I'll ever buy another. I like DiMarzios.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Exhaustive huh?
The guy from Giant (cannot remember his name for the life 'o me), Gary Moore (still got the blues, for example), Blues Saraceno, John Sykes, Ross Childress (Collective Soul), Whoever was in Tyketto (like anybody is going to know them), Gary Hoey, Billy Duffy (the Cult), The lead guitarist from Savatage/Trans Siberian orchestra (Al Pitrelli???), and Chris DeGarmo from Queensryche.
NOTE: I don't think ANY of these guys are using DiMarzio...Are they?
However, these are the guys whose playing style I like (but whose tone I don't);
Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Alex Liefson (sp?>Rush), Alex Skolnik, and Michael Lee Firkins.

Now, In my 3120 I LOVE the Tone Zone. *Really, I do. *But to be honest I have never had a Duncan in there. *I had a JB in a little Alder Yamaha I had and wasn't really impressed, but loved the same pickup in a Les Paul Studio Lite I had. *I keep thinking I need to just buy all Les Pauls, but I don't like playing them and they weight a ton. *When I look at the Duncan site and listen to their sound files, it all sounds pretty much the same to me. *I have a Tone Zone I can put there, but I also have a Distortion and a JB. *Are any of these going to get me what I want?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think there are a couple of easy options to take on this one.

The first is to email DiMarzio and simply ask them which of their pickups THEY recommend putting in the RG 550 in order to sound approximately like "player x" on "record y".

The second is to email Seymour Duncan and simply ask them how to get a sound like "player x" on "record y" out of your RG 550 using their pickups. IF you also tell them you were surprised by the results of their "Tone Wizard" and thought you'd check in person they'll probably be even more helpful.

They're usually REALLY helpful on this sort of thing. And don't forget they both have exchange policies. Failing that, just buy whatever your very fave guy uses and tweak your amp Remeber, tone is in the fingers
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 08:30 AM

* IMO its useless trying to buy a pickup based on what someone else uses unless you have almost the exact same rig. One pickup will sound different with all guitars, amps, cords, picks, whatever. They're all factors which make up your "sound".
* Instead of listening to other guitarists and trying to get their sound, you should explore different options and find what YOU love the most. And what sounds like YOU. Even if its something that you might think sounds exactly like one of your fav guitarists, thousands of other guitarists would disagree and think you sound completely different because we all have different ears.

* And if you really REALLY want to sound like another guitarist, you'll have to steal his hands. Thats where all the best tones come from.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Madwell,
Maybe I didn't make it clear up there. *I don't want to Grok these guy's tone. *I just wanted some opinions on what would lead me toward that type of sound with the RG-550 and Duncans. *Trust me, I am looking for my own "sound" and I would never think I could ever sound like any of those guys.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 12:30 PM

quote from Madwell:
...and if you really REALLY want to sound like another guitarist, you'll have to steal his hands. Thats where all the best tones come from.

totally agree,
but getting near to your idol (gear-wise) wouldn't be bad.
it would be hard to obtain Holdsworth's tone with a Samick thru a stereo amp...

Scott,
just for you to know: Paul Gilbert uses to play a ToneZone...

(Edited by nuno at 12:37 pm on Mar. 21, 2002)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

Re: Replacing pickups in a 550... - Duncans? Dimarzios?

How can you go wrong with EMG??!!??
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 02:56 PM

LOL Nasticanasta, you're on a roll!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 03:25 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasticanasta View Post
I know you are probably being sarcastic... I have actually tried this and wouldn't recommend to anyone.

I put a set of EMG's into my 91 RG550. You have to expand the holes in the pickguard for one. Then you have to fit a 9v battery in there. The end result is the most lifeless tone I have ever heard. I don't know if I got a bad pickup but the 81 in the bridge has pretty weak output, the stock V2 sounds better. This was my first forray into active pickups and I can safely say that I am not pleased.

Anyone want to buy a Kerry King EMG set? I'll cut you a real good deal!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
LOL Nasticanasta, you're on a roll!
He is indeed!! Thread Necromancer extraordinaire!! Lol!!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasticanasta View Post
Did you really bump an 8 year old thread to comment about EMGs?

Locked....
Closed Thread

Tags
blues saraceno , gary hoey , gary moore , joe satriani , john petrucci , john sykes , les paul , les paul studio , les pauls , michael lee , michael lee firkins , paul gilbert , seymour duncan , steve vai , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode