Replacing USA Custom tremolo bridge - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Replacing USA Custom tremolo bridge

So I finally got my USA custom Winged Being to a tech. She says I need to replace the whole tremolo set up, which is fine with me. My poking around here looks like the USA customs started with the Edge and moved to the LoPRo edge. I know everyone has their own preferences but my question is, are these manufactured anymore?

She pulled out a catalog with many different bridges available, from 150 up to about 350 I think. I don't remember why she said it should be replaced, actually. What do most people do? Do you aim for a good used one or is there a simple swap out? I read a thread here a few days ago but I walked away confused.

I really wanna start using this guitar on a regular basis and use the tremolo heavily not just for dive bombs but for more nuanced pitch changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 07:50 AM

Re: Replacing USA Custom tremolo bridge

I think your guitar should have a black original Edge trem.

I'm not sure if this particular one ever had a lo pro or not, can you post a picture of the trem that's on there now? I personally would replace it with whatever is on there now. Rich at Ibanez rules might have what you need...you could ask him.

All that aside though, what's wrong with the bridge making you want to replace it? Take some pictures maybe someone can help.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 03:59 PM

Pics would help to see what needs replacing...
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 11:46 PM

Unless something is different with the USA Custom line, an Original Edge and Lo-Pro Edge are usually interchangeable. In other words, you can put either one in there, and everything will work just fine... trem stud spacing, routing, etc. But again, I'm not an expert on the USA Custom line. I'm basing that statement on other Ibanez production guitars.

I had a 1989 RG550, which came with an Edge, and 4 years later replaced it with a Lo Pro. The Lo Pro dropped right in (and I personally prefer it over the Original Edge).
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 07:29 AM

Ditto to those who asked what the problem with the existing trem was. Of course there's no way to know, but many techs that are otherwise qualified have little experience with (and a general dread of) locking trems and are clueless on how to properly set them up. The fact that your tech pulled out a catalog to look at other trems rather than immediately research Edge and Lo-Pro, both of which are very high quality units, sounds suspiciously like a punt.

People here can probably help diagnose your problem if you provide more detail and pics. There are a few issues that can be "terminal" on these trems, but those are the exception.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 05:07 PM

Reviews: 1

As others have mentioned above, I would as well really like to know WHY the trem has to be replaced.
If the guitar doesn't stay in tune and one of the studs are loose, changing the trem will not help.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

I have some pics but I can't remember the mechanism to get them on the site. I have the tech calling Rich for the bridge replacement.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 05:06 PM

Hmm, after reading other's replies here I tend to agree with their requests for more info. I'd like to know what's wrong with the original, as I too have had terrible luck finding techs that actually know anything about Ibanez trems.

Even some of the otherwise great techs I've found over the years have revealed that they have no idea how to even properly set up an Edge vs. Lo Pro vs. Edge Pro vs. etc, etc.

On the off chance that I have to take one of my Ibby's in for some serious work, I tell them NOT to set the guitar up (because I'll just have to redo it anyway).

So yeah, ask your tech what exactly is wrong with the current trem, and relay that info here.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 08:30 PM

I taught my tech how to set up my RGR580's lo pro so he didn't make any mistakes when drop tuning it to Drop C.

I also concur with everyone else: What exactly is the problem with your current trem? I've got OEs going back 25 years that are still perfectly fine and don't need any replacements, even though the guitar is "players" condition.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

So we wound up not getting the trem replaced. Tech got in there, filed something down(forgot the name) that had worn through the years, cleaned it up and now it works perfectly. I dont remember it ever being this smooth. Happy with the result so far. I always loved this guitar and still do.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiralkeeps View Post
So we wound up not getting the trem replaced. Tech got in there, filed something down(forgot the name) that had worn through the years, cleaned it up and now it works perfectly. I dont remember it ever being this smooth. Happy with the result so far. I always loved this guitar and still do.
Interesting. If I had to venture a a guess, it sounds like you had worn knife edges, and that the tech filed (resharpened) them back to life.

Basically, this procedure: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/sharpening.htm

If so, good on them for having the skill to do that. I have a 2027X with severely worn knife edges, and I don't have the skill nor courage to try and file them. And alas, Rich doesn't do tech work >.<

Tags
edge , new tremolo , usa custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode