Are Replicas Legal? Cannot find the right custom 7 string - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Are Replicas Legal? Cannot find the right custom 7 string

Does anyone know who makes the best Ibanez replicas? Because I cannot find any Ibanez RG 7 or 8 strings with upside down headstock, nor specific finishes like various camos and natural satin finishes, different colored bindings, lightning Inlays or the ibanez shark style inlays, and of course the very elegant Kahler locking systems (but with a Floyd Locking Nut),...

if good luthiers who make replicas right to spec exist, does any one know if whether these replicas are legal for me to play in my band?

I found 2 companies in poland but how do i know if they are high quality.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:08 PM

Re: Are Replicas Legal? Cannot find the right custom 7 string

they're legal as long as you don't pass them off as a real ibanez. That means headstock decals are out. Ibanez don't prosecute this as much as some other companies do, but play it safe.

If your guitar is custom, why WOULDN'T you want to show off that you have a custom guitar anyway?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
If your guitar is custom, why WOULDN'T you want to show off that you have a custom guitar anyway?
Because they will be exact ibanez body specs.

And do you know the best replica custom builders i should look into?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 09:16 PM

ET Guitars (link at the top of the page) would be my pick. I've only ever read good things about them on this forum.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bildi View Post
ET Guitars (link at the top of the page) would be my pick. I've only ever read good things about them on this forum.
ok i checked out some but the ran seems to be the most killer of all. look at their gallery of how amazing guitars they make.... is anyone better than Ran?

http://www.ranguitars.com/gallery.php
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 01:59 AM

Reviews: 7

I would recommend ETguitar or Mike Sherman guitars. I have heard great things about ET guitars, but I have yet to play one. I have played one of my friend's Sherman 7-string, it played and sounded like a dream, I had a handgasm and an eargasm while I was playing it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 10:21 AM

Ran has been discussed here before, looks great, good reviews as well, but serious questions remain about the legality.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f19/ra...ght=Ranguitars

US case laws have already established that it won't be legal to replicate the headstock shape.
Even without the logo it would still be trademark infringement. Also if it's just a one-off.
I don't know if EU law couldn't be used to prosecute them either.

But whether or not a particular luthier is bothered by this is a different matter. You could have a luthier make you an Ibanez spec neck and he could claim he was just customising an existing neck if Ibanez decides to go after him. It would be overkill to go after every single one-man shop, but an operation like Ran is a different matter.

Guitars body shapes, however, cannot be protected, neither as patents (only construction or production methods) nor as trademarks. PRS has won a lawsuit over this with Gibson.

Quote:
Because they will be exact ibanez body specs.
Those who can recognise the shape should also be able to tell that it's not a regular Ibanez, or think it's just a refinished Ibanez.

If I were a luthier I wouldn't even want to make such a thing without putting my own special headstock on it and prominent logo, but it seems to work for Ran; they've been doing it for 10years and haven't been sued out of business yet. They don't appear to have updated their website in the last couple of years either.

What strikes me is that they will actually use a different Ran logo/font for each replica, matching the original font and such, see RAN with DEAN wings, Ibanez script logo, ESP /LTD font, etc. That alone should be grounds for legal action.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 10:39 AM

Reviews: 7

wow, they even copy Manne's shape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode