Restoring my old first Ibanez - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

My first Ibanez brought back from the dead. Now with pics!

My first Ibanez, an EX170 I bought new in 1992, brought back from the dead. At a distance it didn't look too bad, but it was damaged in a move where the neck was ripped off, and I had butchered it trying to keep the trem in tune. Many youth-inspired missteps had taken their toll as well. Lower horn was missing a chunk of wood, truss rod nut busted, strap button ripped out, trem cavity filled with Liquid Nails (don't ask), pickups removed, etc. Just lots of bad stuff. I swear, Eddie Van Halen has led to the ruining of many a good guitar! So it found it's way into a box for years. I always loved that flat neck, so now at 38 I'm brining it back.

I set out to do this on a budget, so I reused what I could. The tuners being the thing that need upgrading the most eventually. I made my own hardtail bridge, using the old saddles so I could cover the trem hole and some screw holes I made years ago. Humbuckers are " Hot OEM Extras" from Guitar Fetish, with the single coil being an actual GFS. The neck and middle coil tap. No tone control.

So, from this (I scratched the "EX" off the headstock years ago)

In process:

To this:

DH

Last edited by Displaced Hokie; 05-07-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Added photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 12:43 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Restoring my old first Ibanez

Wow Man!!! nicest EX ever!!! what pups did you use???
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
what pups did you use???
First thanks for the complement!

The middle pickup is a Guitar Fetish GFS "Little Killer" in the "modern" 10K resistance. A VERY nice sounding pickup, bucking or tapped.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Lil-Kill...ble_p_463.html

The humbuckers are from the clearance section at Guitar Fetish...$29 for the pair and they sound pretty good for the price.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/WHITE-Ho...ups_p_854.html

The bridge pickup is pretty hot, with kind of a Dimebag tone which is OK with me. The neck is a little muddy, but not bad. It's nice tapped. One standout position I've found is the neck/mid split with the coils tapped.

I could add a push/pull pot to split the bridge pickup, but don't think I'd ever use it.

Thanks again!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 03:41 AM

Reviews: 11

nice!!!! how does the bridge sound and sustain? because i cant tell if its made of metal or plastic
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

It's a complement that you can't tell what it's made of! It's steel, and the sustain is great and far better than it used to be. I considered adding even more mass to it, but this is heavy as it is. The bridge plate is made from 3/16" high-strength steel, and was a bear to drill through as a result. It was free from my neighbor that sells steel, so I can't complain. I welded it up myself...

The base plate with mounting holes drilled, string holes drilled and chamfered:

Fabbed up, ready to weld:

Welded, ground, hanging ready for paint:

Oddly I could not find anywhere on the interwebs where anyone had built their own bridge before. I wanted ideas. Luckily mine has worked great. I may need to get some shorter saddle height screws as they are sticking up pretty good.

Last edited by Displaced Hokie; 05-07-2011 at 11:05 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 02:56 PM

thats one of the coolest restorations ive seen on here,might i ask the process you used to remove the old paint?i have a guitar im wanting to remove the paint from and im not sure which method i want to go with.but as i stated before, awesome job
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, glad you like it! I used a heat gun and scraper to remove 90% of it. Far faster than trying to sand it off. After that I used a rotary polisher/sander with a 220-grit pad to clean it up. Both cheapie Harbor Freight tools. The polisher comes in handy for your final polishing step, or for your car. In fact, I bought the polisher to clean up my wife's truck, and since it came with the sandpaper pad, it actually spurred me to work on this as I thought "hey, I bet I could use that on my old guitar"!

Heat gun:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-wa...112-96289.html

Polisher/sander:
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-...her-66615.html

Thanks again!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Reviews: 1

dude u should sell those bridges, it looks sweet! i would totally buy one hahaha
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 06:42 PM

Reviews: 120

Very cool bridge, and great work!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:37 PM

Reviews: 11

edit : i should read the whole thread lmao.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:05 PM

That's awesome. Really nice job on that bridge. You could probably grind those intonation screws down a bit if you can't find shorter ones. I probably wouldn't bother unless your palms annoyed with them though.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:49 PM

Way more than I could do by myself lol...but very cool restore!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 08:13 AM

Reviews: 19

Great job!! Love the burst, palm muting must be a bitch!

*Thinks about my own EX...

Tags
ex series ex170

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode