Restringing - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Restringing

I have seen so many things telling me that I shouldn't take all the strings off at once. Is this true? I want to clean the fretboard, and thats hard to do with the strings still on. I also want to dust the trem and pickups, general cleaning. I have an rg350ex/dx (the white one, can't remember which is which) if that helps.

Ta in advance

Also, first post, woo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 09:19 AM

Re: Restringing

Do not take all the strings off, unless you put something under the bridge to keep tension on the springs.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Dee

There's no reason not to take all the strings off. If I wanted to clean the fretboard without removing the strings, I'd take the neck off. As Elcid said, wedge something under the back of the bridge, then you're free to remove the neck or you can just clean the board easier.
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 09:59 AM

Dee
Maybe Im misunderstanding something, by why take the neck off? At that point you are still removing the tension from the springs, so you would come across the same issue.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Dee

Then maybe there's something I am not understanding about the original post. Why wouldn't you wanna take the strings off? Unless you're a n00b with a Floyd-type trem and restringing gives you a headache, I can't see a reason not to. If the OP doesn't wanna retune then fair enough. You gotta learn some time, though, and I never saw the point of avoiding doing it.

When taking the neck off to clean the board, clean the pickups / bridge area or work on electronics, when you put the neck back on you'll find it's still in tune. The tension isn't changed.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

I'm replacing the strings anyway, and assume that taking them all off won't actually make a difference, as when you put them back on, as long as you tighten them up bit by bit, then the bridge will return to its original position, whether you have taken all the strings off or not. I have no problem tuning them, I just wanted to clarify the varying advice that i have seen regarding taking all the strings off. Some places say it doesnt make a difference.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 11:26 AM

I always take all the strings off and give the fretboard a good clean at the same time. It's never been an issue.
The idea of changing them one at a time seems a bit strange to me as you're missing out on a chance to clean the frets.

Cheers
John
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofdelusion View Post
I'm replacing the strings anyway, and assume that taking them all off won't actually make a difference, as when you put them back on, as long as you tighten them up bit by bit, then the bridge will return to its original position, whether you have taken all the strings off or not. I have no problem tuning them, I just wanted to clarify the varying advice that i have seen regarding taking all the strings off. Some places say it doesnt make a difference.
Yeah dude it's a load of crap. As I said, there is no reason not to take the strings off. Ignore people who give bad advice and tell you not to take them off.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 12:22 PM

Wouldn't taking all the strings off at the same time mess with your setup?

I mean if your neck goes from having tension to having no tension at all?

I know when I do, I need to make some adjustments to the truss rod.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'll give it a go, and just hope that the neck is fine, if not, its a quick adjustment. Thanks for the help!
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 12:33 PM

I just wad up a sock, depress the trem bar, and stick it under the trem. Remove all the strings, give the fretboard and the area under the strings on the pickguard a quick wipedown and put the new strings on. Not everytime, but once in a while. Never had a problem.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudster View Post
Wouldn't taking all the strings off at the same time mess with your setup?

I mean if your neck goes from having tension to having no tension at all?

I know when I do, I need to make some adjustments to the truss rod.
There's no messing with the setup as long as you're not changing the string gauge to heavier or lighter. When you restring using the same gauge, there is no need to adjust the truss rod. The neck will gradually come back to exactly how it was before, though it might take a short time to re-adjust itself.

People treat guitar necks as though they are made of eggshells or something! Most necks are pretty damn strong. Simply removing the strings while you clean it won't do jack. I do it all the time, and in 27 years of messing with guitars I have never experienced any changes to the setup after removing strings.
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
There's no messing with the setup as long as you're not changing the string gauge to heavier or lighter.

People treat guitar necks as though they are made of eggshells or something! Most necks are pretty damn strong. Simply removing the strings while you clean it won't do jack.
You know what, now that you mention it I'm constantly going between 9's and 10's lol..

Well spotted.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Dee

Right, so you gotta adjust the spring claw and truss rod every time?
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 01:01 PM

I have been using floating bridge Ibanez for more than 15 years now. I always take all the string off when restringing. Unlock the nut, push the bar down and detune all strings so the bridge will stay flat in the body with no tension. Remove all strings. Some people will tell you not to do this, go from tension on your neck and springs to no tension at all. Its no problem if you restring right away or that same day. I think it would be a bad idea to leave your guitar tension less for a week or more, but 10-20 minutes while you clean it wont do any harm. Then simply put the string back on with little tension and bridge still flat on the body. Then I simply push down on the bar to where it should be, and tight all strings until the bridge stay to its original angle by it self, and by doing just that, all string are usually very close to being in tuned. After using the same brand and same gauge of string it gets very simple to restring a floating bridge guitar, it just takes practice and then you get to know how your instrument will react so you know exactly what to do.

EDIT: maybe once every 5 times I need to do minimal spring tension adjustment, just a quarter turn to each spring usually does it. I never touched my truss rod.

Tags
trem springs , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode