Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Christopher Chen 
#1 ·
Sweet.

A couple of years ago, i wrote to Parker asking them if they had any plans for doing a rear-routed NiteFly. I liked the NiteFly a lot, but hate pickguards. They replied that one of the main reasons that they went with front-routing on the NiteFly was to reduce cost.

Well, last year they started doing a dual-humbucker NiteFly with a mahogany body, and this year, they've converted it to a front-routed configuration! It's got standard direct-mounted pickups, and a bolt-on mahogany and composite neck with those sweet Parker stainless frets.

http://www.parkerguitars.com/ModelsNew/NiteFly/NiteFlyM.htm

Interesting that they've re-jigged the electronics slightly on it, too... it has a push-pull coil tap instead of the automatic split in the middle position, so you can get that full-on dual humbucker sound.

Pretty nifty. Looks gorgeous in that natural mahogany finish, too.

Just thought some of you might be interested.

See less See more
#2 ·
Revised Parker NiteFly M!

Parker guitars are really really awesome..I still want one man, I remember your's Darren the blue one, that's a real beauty. The tone, feel, look....gosh it's all really great!
They never fail to impress me, those people at Parker! Now if I could only find some loose change for one of them beauties! :)

#3 ·

My NiteFly stands with my Jems and my custom shop Dinky as one of my all time favourite guitars. I have the 3 singles model, and it sounds so good that I'm selling my Strat - who needs it? The Parker plays and sounds better. Until I actually played one for a while, I'd always thought of the NiteFly as a "poor man's fly", but they're simply great guitars in their own right... Since picking it up, I've heard from other owners, many of whom own both a NiteFly and a Fly, and the concensus seems to be that the NiteFly is actually the more "toneful" guitar, thanks to the ash body... All I know is mine rings like a frickin' bell. I love it!

#5 ·

The bolt-on neck is the primary difference, which leads to some other minor differences:
  • The body on the NiteFly is thicker and not as heavily contoured
  • The NiteFly necks are mahogany and not basswood (for tonal reasons they were changed after the first year, i believe); and
  • The NiteFly uses conventional trem springs in the back instead of the Fly's flat springs. I'm not sure, but i think the NiteFly also lacks the ability to lock the bridge into a down-only mode (essentially blocking it), but i could be wrong on that one.
Other than these differences, yes, they have the same functionality.

#6 ·

Thanks for that piece of information Darren! :)

I think I'll get a job after these exams and save me a Parker Classic....sigh I get all drooly just thinking about it. Most probably one in their sweet dark purple 'Italian Plum' or maybe blue finish. But I must say the blue looks better on the classic than it does on the deluxe.

Christopher.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.