RG 1451? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
RG 1451?

So, I'm in the market for a new guitar. I currently have:

- An ESP LTD MH-400 (mahogany body, quilted maple veneer, natural binding, rosewood fretboard, neckthru maple neck, EMG 81/85, licensed floyd rose...ugh)
- A Fender Highway 1 HSS Stratocaster (I'm sure we all know what strats are like)

The reason I'm looking, is because I'm recording (sort of progressive/electronic metal). I've experimented with some friends guitars in addition to my own, and have decided that to get a nice rhythm tone, combining my MH with something Ibanez-ish (in this case, my friend's EBMM Petrucci) yielded results I'm very happy with. I'll be using the Strat for another part of a song, with the neck single coil. But, the rest of it doesn't quite do what I want it to in the mix.

So, I'm looking for a guitar with the following features:

- Less dark sounding tone wood, basswood would work nicely. My theory here is that the mahogany in my MH will cover the low mids nicely, while a brighter sounding guitar will cover the upper mids, yielding a sonically "full" rhythm sound. And, well, basswood is sooo much lighter
- Passive pickups. I really like my EMGs, but I think they sound best mixed with some passive pickups. Ideally not Duncans, though. For whatever reason, I don't like that JB/59 combo that seems to be so popular. I had a chance to try it through my recording setup, and it just didn't do anything for me. I prefer the EMGs, and definitely the Dimarzios in my friend's Musicman.
- A low profile, hard tail bridge, ideally string through body. I blocked the floyd in my MH, but I don't want to have to do that again. If I ever want another guitar with a tremolo, those Edge Zero designs look great. But, right now, I just want some simplicity.
- A fast, thin, lightly finished neck with a flat fretboard radius.

So, literally the only guitar I could find that satisfied all those points was the RG1451. I've had a chance to try a used version out so far. The neck is about as comfortable is it gets for me, and the build quality is about what I'd expect from a guitar labelled "Prestige". But, it being used, I feel like I'm not getting the best impression of what it's capable of. The strings were totally dead, and the pickup heights were totally messed up. Also, playing through whatever little practice amp was at the store gave me absolutely no idea how it would sound through my recording setup. Additionally, it was in black, and I'd be more interested in the white version.

Does anyone own one? Any general thoughts on it? I figure if I don't like the pickups, I'll stick a crunch lab and liquefire in the bridge and neck respectively. But, I'd rather just be satisfied with the stock pickups.

Also, this guitar store had a used PGM sitting around there. I love those things, so I jumped on it immediately. It was one of the versions with a tremolo, though. And, annoyingly, the original tremolo was swapped for a licensed washburn floyd rose for some reason. The guitar played and looked great otherwise, but that tremolo is very off-putting. And the price is suspiciously low...700 bucks. Thoughts on that? Would it be difficult to put a "stockier" bridge back in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Re: RG 1451?

So what, if the thread isn't about an RG550, no one's interested? C'mon!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:33 PM

Reviews: 11

ill reply in a second with a real answer. . . .i wasnt expecting a book haha

i skimmed hahaha

yes, it will fit your every needs. heres what i think will be a great combo for it!

all DiMarzio pickups by the way

BRIDGE: D-Activator Bridge model
MIDDLE: The Chopper
NECK: Evolution Neck model

Last edited by D.M.RG7620; 09-26-2011 at 10:38 PM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:39 PM

and do me a favor, just because ive been SOOOOOO helpful, get them all in white with black poles/rails they make every guitar look great!

oh! and put this in the right place next time. Prestige guitars go in the prestige section.

cheers dude!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

There's a Prestige section... lol. Well that explains a lot. Any mods reading this, feel free to move it

Thanks for the reply. The pickups look pretty appropriate... I'll have to try to listen to them somehow. The Chopper sounds interesting. I'm curious, though... it sounds like it's more of a highish output single coil. I'd probably use the single coil in this mainly for cleans. Would it still excel at that?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:22 PM

hmm. . . . . .im not 100% sure. but hey, if the X2N has good cleans, im sure the chopper does! ive heard NOTHING but good things about that pickup. from every aspect.

http://www.jemsite.com/shopping/prod...parts_s14_m65/

look up the reviews here! that link is to the comparison shopping section and they have reviews for pretty much everything. and those are fairly popular pickups so theres probably reviews for them here

OH and if you DO think the single has a bit too high of output, there is the HS-2 http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/stra...ing-strat/hs-2

only 90 mV
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I think the chopper looks pretty good. I'll have to see how it goes.

I ended up ordering a white RG1451 today, from the local guitar shop. They're having to get it direct from Ibanez, so it'll probably be a few weeks. I'll post photos in the right section when it arrives. At that point, I guess I'll decide if new pickups are necessary.

Tags
basswood , esp , ibanez , mahogany , rg1451

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode