RG 1451 Prestige Pickup Trials - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

RG 1451 Prestige Pickup Trials

With the help of a Duncan Liberator volume pot, I'm going to test out a few pickups in this guitar. Once I've found the one I like best, I'll buy it in white. This 2010 Rg1451 is going to have a black pearl pick guard. I currently have the following humbuckers waiting in the lineup.

Breed
Tone Zone (will be installed upside down due to short leads)
X2N
Full Shred TB-10

First up.... The Breed

It sounds great at "somebody is sleeping" bedroom levels. I can't wait to plug it into the big mesa. The stock pickups in this guitar left a lot to be desired.

For reference:

I have an Gibson SG that had from stock, put a JB in it and loved it.
Switched to a duncan distortion and have never quite liked it. Going back to a JB soon.

I have an American Strat that I put a Lil 59 in and have found that it sounds better than the SG, to my surprise and the chagrin of my "only a gibson is good enough" band mates. Haha. It does lack some chunk on the bottom end that I miss, but still sounds great.

I really liked the X2n in the 2550, it could cut through any mix and had a really sharp sound. The downside was that it was too bright and lacking in low end. Having seen it's tone chart it makes sense.

I play through a Mesa Stiletto Trident w/ either a Recto or 1960a cab.

Anyway, I'm just sharing the journey with the ever so awesome Jemsite
community. Questions and comments are welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Re: RG 1451 Prestige Pickup Trials

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

I got to put the breed through it's paces the other night and I was pretty happy with it. Nice chunkiness, great harmonic content, and the top end was present yet not super overbearing. I did roll the bass and treble back on my amp relative to where I was playing the strat w/*the lil 59. I think that with some more dialing in I could be happy with this pickup in this guitar. But we can't stop there, this is tone country!

Sooo, I'm going to throw the tone zone in there and bring it to rehearsal tomorrow and give it a shot. I'm very curious to see how my rig will sound w/ the tone zone's eq curve.

Thanks for reading.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

With the Tone Zone

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

So about the TZ. I did not like it in this guitar. The TZ is said to be good for taming an overly bright guitar. I can say now that this 1451 is not overly bright.

Immediately I found myself missing the sparkle and harmonically rich sound of the breed. The other guitarist (whom had never heard of one) said that it sounded muddy to him. I pretty much agree with that description. I did spend time throughout the 3 hours adjusting my amp and got a decent sound by the end. To me it seems like it might excel in a rhythm only role but it just isn't there for lead and upper register chord playing.

Not too surprised as I have read similar reviews of the tz, but the only way to know for yourself out is to try it out!

I was able to swap the pickup out in about 20 minutes. This duncan liberator has paid for itself already.

Don't think I'm going to like the X2N in this 1451 as it will sound pretty close to what the 2550 did w/*the X2N. Was attributing the brightness of that sound to the guitar when it was more-so the pickup.

I feel like I can read Dimarzio's tone charts and have a better understanding of what to expect.

Next up is the Duncan Full Shred.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention that raising the pole pieces on the AEG strings help bring more high end out of the tz. Breed is in the lead so far.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

<crickets>

Could a mod please move this to Pickups & Wiring section I just found? Please and thank you.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 06:13 AM

Reviews: 2

Hey mate, I for one am enjoying this post. I've got a 1451 and am not sure what pickups to put in, so this is great - keep up the posting!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 02:58 PM

Crunch lab, liquifire? I put them in my rg1421 and they smoke. So good.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 07:13 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdunker1 View Post
Crunch lab, liquifire? I put them in my rg1421 and they smoke. So good.
They are awesome pickups - I have a set in my RG1820X. Maybe I'll end up getting another set haha

Tags
1451 rg dimarzio duncan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode