RG 1527 Help! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

RG 1527 Help!

Well i recently purchased a rg 1527! I was so glad today when it arrived with my friend from USA. The thing was that the guitar had no string on so i put my usual strings on them. So far so good, but then something happens. Well im am accustomed to that the bridge goes up to "high" but then you can always get another spring for the bridge. The thing is, i have a extra spring but there is some kind of plate covering the springs going into the tremolo. I assumed that this was something to keep those springs at place when using the tremolo for divebombs or the other side around . Now that i am here, looking at my guitar
with its tremolo set way to high, i actually don't know what to do. I am so eager to start playing so i don't know what to do! Should i just turn it in to a guitar tech or should i try to do something myself? Ive tried to adjust the screws holding the tremolo back but well, now i don't know what to do...

And yes, this is my first floyd rose tremolo guitar! So spare with me, will you?

Thanks Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 03:51 PM

Re: RG 1527 Help!

You dont need a new spring. When you say high, do you mean its pointing outwards? If it is, using a screw driver, screw the screws on the claw (the thing that holds the springs) deeper into the body (evenly) until the tremolo is allign with the body.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Ive tried that. They are as far in as i dare to screw them... And i can't put a new spring into the tremolo because this metalplate that blocks the springs from popping out while using the tremolo, is in the way... So i don't think i can put another spring on..
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Can you take a picture of this metal plate? I've neer seen or heard of one of these.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 05:58 PM

Hey there!

First of all don't panic!
Second, take a look at Rich's tech page (link below):

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

If you follow the instructions you'll get it fixed yourself!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 06:07 PM

you need to unscrew the metal plate
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Unscrew the metalplate? I thought it was there for a reason, isn't it? Or am i totally wrong, because the wholes that you should be able to put another spring into are a lot bigger then the rest. They are wholes for the screws witch holds the metalplate, so i supposed that those where not an option for spring wholes.
Am i wrong? :S

As little as i understand when it comes to these kinds of terms, i don't find that site helping. Ive always do like the Ibanez book says, don't tune it up directly but tuning up in steps. And what i understood you should detune one string to get the other one right, right? Then keep on going so, until you have the whole guitar tuned. But what happens with the first string or with the strings that are "left over"?? I am so confused right now.

Ill post some pictures tomorow of the metalplate.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Well i have taken the pictures, i hope they help and i have tried to do what rich says. With my poor english i can't say i understand everything properly, i think.. And well the result was like before. The action is reaaaally high and the bridge is raised upwards and looks like it is going to break. On this pictures ive detuned the whole thing because im really afraid im going to destroy something..

Hope this helps to understand my situation!

This is the metalplate i was talking about:

Now this is the action and the how high the tremolo is set when it is detuned..

Thanks!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Eco

You tighten the screws that the springs attach too, not them ones.

That will screw the claw further into the body, giving more pull on the bridge, pulling the trem down to level.

Tightening them screws wont adjust your action or bridge height.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

i know i have to screw them futher in. And i have already done that, they are as deep as i dare to screw them in... And i was not asking about bridge heigt, i am just worried that the bridge is standing so high with its tail.. If you can put it that way..
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsen View Post
i know i have to screw them futher in. And i have already done that, they are as deep as i dare to screw them in... And i was not asking about bridge heigt, i am just worried that the bridge is standing so high with its tail.. If you can put it that way..
What string gauge are you using, maybe you are using too heavy gauge and your guitar is set for 9's. By looking at the action your neck may have a bow in it. If it was shipped without string, that means it may have been string-less for a while and the temperature change during the shipment mays have made the neck wrap a bit. If that's the case your truss rod will need adjustment, I would bring your guitar to a profession technician, most guitar stores will have someone who can do this for you. But first let us know what string gauge you are using.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Well yes, that was one of my first assumptions. I use 0.10 but i don't actually know what kind of strings Ibanez uses, or the shop that my friend bought it from.

Yeah, that is probably the best idea. I just hoped to be able to fix it myself and not spend even more money on this than i already have!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsen View Post
Well yes, that was one of my first assumptions. I use 0.10 but i don't actually know what kind of strings Ibanez uses, or the shop that my friend bought it from.

Yeah, that is probably the best idea. I just hoped to be able to fix it myself and not spend even more money on this than i already have!
I understand, but it looks pretty bad. If tightening the springs didn't fix the issue it might truss rod related. Even if it were set for 9's switching to 10's shouldn't give you this much trouble.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 01:08 PM

You will need to either get lighter strings or heavier springs, then tweak the claw accordingly.

Last edited by <b>GilkyBear</b>; 06-03-2007 at 01:44 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 03:02 PM

yeah the plate holds the springs in, i remember i took it off once and all the springs flew everywhere lol, also lighter strings would be easiest imo

Tags
floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , guitar tech , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode