RG 2120x-tlb - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

RG 2120x-tlb

hello guys;

I saw a '02 Rg 2120x-tlb in a guitarshop, guitar has been waiting for years and it hasn't been even touched =). As you know it has piezzo and two outputs. What can you say about this guitar? Have you ever tried this? How much does it worth giving? I have never used a piezo guitar, after switching to piezo, do we need to change our jack position(as long as it has 2 outputs) Comments please. Guitar is this

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 06:11 AM

Re: RG 2120x-tlb

There is no need to change the output jack. Yes, there are 2 outputs, but at least on all the 2020x models, you can toggle between 2 output and 1 output mode. Go for it now.

Edit: I've never seen a 2120 like this. All I've seen so far had V7/V8 pus.

http://www.ibanezregister.com/images...tlb-2002uk.jpg

Yours has dimarzio/ibzs. First I thought they were installed later, but the routing of the pickup ears is triangular, so that means, your guitar was meant for dimarzio pickups of some sort. (As opposed to the square-ish routings for the V Pickups on the normal models). Please, get it and post closeups!

How much are they asking? I'd get it in a heartbeat. It's not only rare, it's pretty weird too

btw, here's my 2020x (Note the different pickup routing):

Could anyone shed some light on the pickups?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horstausmforst View Post
There is no need to change the output jack. Yes, there are 2 outputs, but at least on all the 2020x models, you can toggle between 2 output and 1 output mode. Go for it now.

Edit: I've never seen a 2120 like this. All I've seen so far had V7/V8 pus.

http://www.ibanezregister.com/images...tlb-2002uk.jpg

Yours has dimarzio/ibzs. First I thought they were installed later, but the routing of the pickup ears is triangular, so that means, your guitar was meant for dimarzio pickups of some sort. (As opposed to the square-ish routings for the V Pickups on the normal models). Please, get it and post closeups!

How much are they asking? I'd get it in a heartbeat. It's not only rare, it's pretty weird too

btw, here's my 2020x (Note the different pickup routing):

Could anyone shed some light on the pickups?
If I'm not mistaken, post '03 2120X's came with Dimarzio/Ibzs along with the new double edge pro bridge.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Knall View Post
If I'm not mistaken, post '03 2120X's came with Dimarzio/Ibzs along with the new double edge pro bridge.
Looking closer at his pic, it appears to be indeed equipped with a double edge pro.

I didn't even know 2120x's like that existed and were produced after '03;
Till today, I thought the 2120x production was halted when the double (lo-pro-) edge was discontinued - in favor of the new (in '03) 1820x.

Thanks for the info! It's a good feeling to still learn something new here.
Anyone got some catalogue scans?
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

I have sent e-mail to the vendor and he said that, guitar is '03 and very strangely he told me that guitar has just arrived two weeks ago from japan stocks(When I asked if it has been waiting in the shop for more than 3 years). Is it possible that japanese vendors or whatever keeps some guitars and sell later . I am confused if he is lying or not.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 07:43 PM

Reviews: 1

Buy it!
It's an amazing guitar.

Tony
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

I actually have a jem 7vwh but I want to get a non-signature model that's shy I am insisting on this guitar. But problem is will it be as comfortable and wonderful as my jem =)
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:32 AM

you might like the "close" neck profile to the Jem neck. the actual specs are around here somewhere - probably on the spec page
if you want a different tone from a Jem - this would be a good candidate. if you want the piezo (dble Lo Pro) - get it. i wouldn't go overboard if they are asking too much. under 1k US would be a fair price for such a nice NOS piece.
if you like Ibanez necks, you should be very happy with the Rg2020x. the RGT models from those years have a fatter neck (probably due to high gloss paint on the neck) but this model has the lightly cleared neck that is thinner than the RGT's of the past.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
you might like the "close" neck profile to the Jem neck. the actual specs are around here somewhere - probably on the spec page
if you want a different tone from a Jem - this would be a good candidate. if you want the piezo (dble Lo Pro) - get it. i wouldn't go overboard if they are asking too much. under 1k US would be a fair price for such a nice NOS piece.
if you like Ibanez necks, you should be very happy with the Rg2020x. the RGT models from those years have a fatter neck (probably due to high gloss paint on the neck) but this model has the lightly cleared neck that is thinner than the RGT's of the past.
+1

Regards

André

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

and what about changing bridge pickup with seymour duncan sh-10 full shred, neck with di-marzio air norton and jumbo frets with 6105(which is used on jems and js) lol. Will it react well with mahogony?
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 AM

Reviews: 1

You haven't bought it yet?????

Damn!

A mahogany body needs a pickup with increased top, because it is a dark sounding wood, compared to basswood. I have a steve's special in my 2020, and compared to an RG3120 which is amahogany with maple top and a tone zone, the 3120 has more "bite" if you know what I mean.

I haven't tried an evolution in the 2020, but I am extremely happy with a blaze custom on my 2027, which is the same guitar, just 7 strings.
I don't know what 6 string pickup that is closets to the Blaze Custom.
I think it should be the D-sonic, but it looks like it's made in the 1950's so I will never have that ugly pickup in my guitar. Maybe if I had bobbin toppers on it.
My 2c's
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

I don't like dimarzio's on bridge position. I will try Seymour duncan this time especially I am thinking on the sh-10 full shred model. Has any one tried air norton or sh-10 on mahogony? I have already a jem 7vwh so this time I am looking for a more aggressive guitar this time which can achieve aggressive rhythm work and lead work at the same time. We can say Petrucci style maybe.. suggestions?
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

and will it cause a problem of the output levels of these two pickups?
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 05:38 AM

Buy it... getting mine means I only bring two guitars to gigs now... the 2020 for everything and a backup (usually a JS/Jem) incase a string goes.

Most people change the pickups, I currently have an AirZone and an AirNorton.... wired through a 5 way so that you get...

1) full bridge
2) outer coils bridge and neck
3) inner coils bridge and neck
4) neck (neck side) sinlge coil
5) full neck

2) is the funky-est soound on the planet and I use it for all Le Chic stuff, anything that requires a bright funk sound. 3) gives you a slightly duller version of two that sounds like the images and words "clean" sound. Use it for anything from the police to prince. 4) is just a straight up single coil for those strat inspire blues licks.... 1) and 5) cover the high gain suff from full searing leads to palm muted chunky rhythm work...

couple all that with being able to play acoustic with the flick of a switch.... and you have the best guitar in the world!
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 08:02 AM

insane shred, why not first try the stock dimarzio/ibz pickups? I've heard pretty good things about them.

devo, nice wiring! I personally liked the stock wiring so much I spent hours to keep it with the new pickups (after having heard the jazz neck in parallel mode).
Does having two 'air'buckers in one guitar really have a noticeable impact on sustain?

Tags
air norton , bobbin toppers , bridge pickup , bridge position , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , double edge pro , edge pro bridge , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , inner coils , jem neck , jumbo frets , mahogany body , palm mute , seymour duncan , string pickup , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

oslo police auction
ibanez rg550 i oslo
post free ads oslo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode