The RG-350 Experiment(s) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

The RG-350 Experiment(s)

The whole point of this is to have an arsenal of different sounds just like any other guitarist. I understand that what I'm doing, might seem impractical, but I've decided that it's what I want to do.

Okay, here's what I wanna do. It involves buying 2 RG-350DXWHs and one RG-350EX, since I like the JEM'd out look and it has a similar wood construction to FLO (American Basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard), who's sound I am in love with. I couldn't find anything else like it in my price range for guitar buying, considering there will be a great deal of modding going on.

1. VAI Sound: I have decided that for the first DXWH, I will put an Evo2 in the bridge, Evolution ISCV2 for the middle, and install a Sustainiac (Not Fernandes! Yuck!) for my own little FLO'd out machine. I considered a PAF in the bridge like the old FLO days, but I decided that it was a better mix with the sustainer and it would sound fine. Gold Gotoh OFR and all-gold hard hardware.

2. Satriani Sound: For the second DXWH, I will put a FRED in the bridge, FastTrack2 in the middle, and a PAF Pro (or PAF Joe) in the neck. Gold Gotoh OFR and all gold hardware as well.

3. Random Crazyness Sound ("HotRodded"): For the EX (Black), and this is where I need your guys' help, I'm debating what pickup I want in the middle. Ive decided on an X2N in the bridge and a ToneZone in the neck. But what would fit in best with these? A Chopper, a Pro Track, or a FastTrack 2? Or something else? I want the HOTTEST single coil on the planet pretty much.

Also, since the neck joint IS an AANJ, is it possible to swap out the neck for a jem neck, or are there too many inconsistencies between the countries they come from?

Thanks guys. Give me the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 06:35 AM

Re: The RG-350 Experiment(s)

if your looking at a new neck, new bridge, new pickups and two guitars....

you might be much better off getting a better guitar to start with 5** series?
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 07:36 AM

Reviews: 10

Or even buy a jem 7vh, by the time you price all that up its heading that way anyway. Ok you wont have two guitars but I'd say a jem alone would cover the sounds you need.

Or for one of the guitars get a Jem 555 (or 2nd hand 7vh), that way dont need to do any upgrades. Then if you insist on going the 350 route for the JS pick ups then do that for one, or try a JS100 or look into 2nd hand JS1000/1200's
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 07:43 AM

Reviews: 10

ah forgot about the sustainer inthe equation
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 11:41 AM

Probably be cheaper just to go for used RG-5xx's as said above then do all the modifying.

Your amp and other equipment are also going to be a lot more important than the guitars as well. You could literally plug Evo or Flo into an Engl and not sound that close to Vai's tone in comparison to say a stock RG-550 into his actual amp.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Crap, 550's are twice the price... but damn they look nice. Would it be possible to find ones that have the same color scheme as the 350DXWH? 'Cause I'll do that and then hold off on the hotrodded guitar. I can just put my EMG-H4 back in the bridge of my KH-202 and then put a Chopper next to my sustainer so I can finally use the middle position on that thing. Damn H/H setup. lol.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Dee

You'd be very lucky to find a white RG550, they are rare, having only been made in the 80's. They also have a black headstock, so visually they're not so close.

I would go with the suggestion of saving your money for an actual JEM. The RG 350 won't take you there, and I doubt very much that the 350 has an American basswood body, the wood isn't up to the quality of a JEM, unfortunately.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Now I'm not quite sure what to do.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Dee

Learn to play the banjo instead?
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 06:49 PM

Save your money and buy a Jem. Anything you spend on modding the 350 will be an investment you will never get back. You can say today that you would never sell the 350, but when looking like a Jem isnt enough anymore and you want the real thing, you'll probably find out that with what your projects costed you, you could've had a Jem.

Price out the parts, you might be shocked. I've seen Jem necks go for between $700-$900 on the bay. Between the neck, the 350, and the gold hardware you could've had a real Jem and you will probably be much happier with it.

It's also going to take a lot more than a few Korean guitars with upgraded pickups to get Vai or Satriani's sound. What are you using for an amp?
One good guitar and one good amp will be better than a few cheaper guitars and a 15 watt Marshall MG.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 07:04 PM

These folks speak wise words and remember the saysing "You can't shine ****." Use the 350 to learn your scales etc and then when you hit the jem you will bust one in happiness.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
These folks speak wise words and remember the saysing "You can't shine ****." Use the 350 to learn your scales etc and then when you hit the jem you will bust one in happiness.
Careful CD, lots of people are easily upset if you don't use kid gloves when reffering to inexpensive instruments. Remember, bashing a $2000 guitar is acceptable, bashing an $300 is inexcusable.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Careful CD, lots of people are easily upset if you don't use kid gloves when reffering to inexpensive instruments. Remember, bashing a $2000 guitar is acceptable, bashing an $300 is inexcusable.
Ok, how bout I offer him a ride and some free candy?

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 PM

Will the candy look like a Jem?
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Will the candy look like a Jem?
Sure it will.

Tags
black headstock , dimarzio tone , fernandes sustainer , local luthier , paf pro pickups , pro edge bridge , pro pickups , tone zone , trem setter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode