RG 350 - New Pick up installation - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Arrow RG 350 - New Pick up installation

I am having a few issues with a recently installed pick up in my RG 350. Before I delve too far deep into that, let me give you the back story ...

I traded in an older guitar for a new Ibanez RG 350 (H/S/H configuration) in 2000. Almost immediately after getting it I had the stock bridge pickup replaced with a Seymour Duncan Distortion pickup. I had no problems with the installation and the pickup sounded great.

Fast forward ten years.

The guitar had been sitting for quite some time while I busied myself with other things. However, recently I have begun playing much more frequently and I wanted to match the bridge pickup with a new neck pickup. I chose a Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup and brought it to the local guitar shop (not the same as the one that did the Distortion pickup, as I had moved about an hour and a half away) to have it installed. When I got the guitar back there were a few problems.

1. When I had the pickup selector in 2nd position (between the neck and middle pickup) the volume dropped almost 50%.

2. When playing out of my combo amp (a 60 watt Crate - just for practice, my main stay is a Mesa Dual) the guitar would squeal like bloody hell when set to the middle single coil pick up.

I brought the guitar back to the shop that had just installed the new neck pickup and explained my problem. He told me that because there was some kind of blockage around the pickup selector he could not accurately determine which wire went where, and said whoever installed the bridge pick up installed it for a coil/tap set up, which I do not have (as far as I know none of the RG's have that).

He then offered to fix it by installing a new pickup selector and giving it a "regular" set up. I said okay, but now I'm not sure if I should have. I don't know too much about the inner workings of guitars and the wiring, but I do know that there really isn't such a thing as a "regular" set up. Each guitar company, and possibly each guitar, has their own unique set up.

My main contention with his diagnosis is that I never had any trouble with the pickups, the pickup selector, or feedback until I brought the guitar to him. Now he's blaming the pickup selector and the guy who installed the new bridge pick up. WTF?

What I'm wondering is, is this guy full of ****? I've taken that same guitar to him several times in the past to have the neck and action set up and he's always done a fine job, but in terms of pick up installation he seems to have lost his mind. Was it a mistake to have him put in the pickup, or to put in a new pickup selector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 08:43 PM

Re: RG 350 - New Pick up installation

rg 350's coil tap as standard out of the box, ie if your in position 2 or 4 your using one coil of a humbucker and the middle together.

i swapped my rg350's pickups out for evo's many years ago myself when i knew f all about what i was doing and still found it piss easy to do and retain my coil taps etc so basically the switching was the same as before but with my evo's.
recently moved the whole evo set to an s470dxqm now.

mabe if you could spare the time and a few quid on a soldering iron you could have a go at it yourself, its really not hard..
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:21 PM

Reviews: 3

magic is right...p/up swapping is fairly easy, some mfg's even post wiring diagrams online. it should have been a drop in deal, no problems..i almost wonder if the selector switch got ruined (melted,made of some plastic) by an over aggressive soldering iron...i imagine his regular setup will be a 3 position lead - lead/ryth - ryth, no coil taps...hard to say what caused what, but i would use this opportunity to put in a good quality switch.(5 way)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:33 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario83 View Post
What I'm wondering is, is this guy full of ****? I've taken that same guitar to him several times in the past to have the neck and action set up and he's always done a fine job, but in terms of pick up installation he seems to have lost his mind.
Perhaps it's time for you to learn how to install pickups yourself. It's not as difficult as many people think. Nothing like learning from your own mistakes, and in the end you'll know a lot more about your guitar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode