RG 470? are these good? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

RG 470? are these good?

I know they are now discontinued,but i can get a titianium ice 470 for $250! it is a leftover,are these real good compared to a newer 370? or better?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 01:47 PM

I think it would be better than a 370 unless its a 2003 model from what people say the Edge is better than the low trs but I wouldnt know cause I dont use mine. I have a RG 450 and it works well for me. Either way 370 or 470 you change pick ups eventually and maybe upgrade the bridge for the higher quality one. Me personaly would get the 470
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 03:03 PM

I've got one on my knee right now, and I'm perfectly happy with it!

People moan about the pickups and bridge, but frankly for the money they're pretty damn good. Put it this way, I prefer the sound of the pickups in my 470 to the DiMarzio X2N I have in my ESP V!

The LoTRS trem is universally slated, and it's not great but it's still good, just not as good as an Edge. Having said that the new 370s have the Edge trem, so they probably worth a look.

I've played guitar for nearly 15 years now, and I've played and owned all sorts of guitars over that time from ****ty strat copies to Jems and for the money I've never owned a better guitar. Plus, I paid under £200 for mine - that's bloody cheap!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 01:26 AM

Got one as a travel guitar. For $250, you can't go wrong, especially if it's significantly less than the RG370.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 06:11 PM

It's Japaneise made so you're going to get that Japaneise quality/feel. The problem is the bridge. Mine had been utter hell from the beginning and I just ended up buying an Edge for it.

I'm much happier now. Nice guitar.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBird31
It's Japaneise made so you're going to get that Japaneise quality/feel. The problem is the bridge. Mine had been utter hell from the beginning and I just ended up buying an Edge for it.

they are not all japanese made only certain model years
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Yeah, I have a jewel Blue Japanese 370 from 1993, with the original Edge and the old neck joint. I love that damn thing. Wish I could find another one. [/b]
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie
Quote:
Yeah, I have a jewel Blue Japanese 370 from 1993, with the original Edge and the old neck joint. I love that damn thing. Wish I could find another one. [/b]
a japanese 370 with an original edge? correct me if im wrong but that edge would have to be aftermarket. And besides how are you sure its a 370 and not a neck swap in that case? you could tell if the neck hardware had not been changed. Let me see the pics
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 12:03 AM

Nope, it's the real deal, bought straight from the shipping box with tags, warranty and manuals in 1993. There were a heap of them about at that time. I don't think they were sold to the north american market.

I tore the whole guitar down a few months ago and both the neck and body are stamped RG370. The bridge is totally original and there is no sign of re-routing or refinishing of any kind. The neck plate says "Made In Japan' as does the sticker on the back of the neck.

There are some very interesting Japanese-made not-for-US guitars out there with model numbers that you would think belong on Korean models. Witness the (poorly lit) glory of my RGR470DW.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie
Nope, it's the real deal, bought straight from the shipping box with tags, warranty and manuals in 1993. There were a heap of them about at that time. I don't think they were sold to the north american market.

I tore the whole guitar down a few months ago and both the neck and body are stamped RG370. The bridge is totally original and there is no sign of re-routing or refinishing of any kind. The neck plate says "Made In Japan' as does the sticker on the back of the neck.

There are some very interesting Japanese-made not-for-US guitars out there with model numbers that you would think belong on Korean models. Witness the (poorly lit) glory of my RGR470DW.

Umm what kind of input jack does it have? the japanese version or korean one? also i notice it has the body style of the 500 and up series. The 400 and down series have always to my knowledge had a slightly odd curve to them. So if its stamped 370 why are you saying the model number is rgr470dw? Now im confused.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 12:19 AM

Sorry, that's a pic of my RGR470, which I posted to demonstrate that there are some weird RGs out there.

They both have the 400-style output jack, mounted on a plastic square plate. And that curve is evident in the Korean 400 and 300 series, but not the Japanese ones, as far as I've seen at least. The 470 has an AANJ, while the 370 has the block heel.

I do have one guitar that appears to be a neck swap, an RG7420 (according to the body stamp) with an RG7620 neck (according to the neck stamp). There is a chunk missing off the back side of the tip of the headstock so I assume that the neck was swapped out with the suspiciously half-price 7620 that was next to it on the rack (my guess is that some idiot dropped it in the store) *LOL*

Here's my 370, sorry I don't have better pics at the moment, but I plan to upgrade my website in the second week of December when I have some time off, and will take better pics. My entry for that guitar on my site is totally inaccurate and out of date *LOL* At the time I wrote that, I was informed that it was a 570 with dimarzios. Whoops

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBird31

Good point, I had forgotten about that. Oh well.

But still, assuming it's Japaneise made, and you're ready to potentially swap the bridge out, go for it. That TRS is completely useless now. I did discover a way of stringing the strings through the bridge lock screw holes that would have allowed me to continue using it, but that's just pathetic for a new bridge to do that.

What was happening is when I first got it. I was worried about messing up the saddles by tightening too tight, So I didnt tighten the screws very tight at all. And thes trings would pop out. THen I tightened them tighter, and they still popped out. And this kept going on and on and on. It drove me nuts. And the strings never would stay in until the end where I just tightened it SUPER tight. And I realize now that I was tightening the strings INTO the saddle.

The problem is, I dunno if it's just mine or what. But the saddle metal is WAY too soft. You never could get a satisfying snugness. Not to mention there were HUGE dents in the knife edges just from the very, VERY moderate use (It never would stay in tune, and the strings would fly out from half step bends!) and it was STILL practically butchered. The cosmo was also wearing off VERY badly.

I should have gotten the '570, since both were on sale. But since I only paid $300 for it, the $100 I spent on a used Edge wasnt QUITE as bad. It was still below the old retail price IIRC...

Of course, I'm the only person I know of that has ever had this happen, so just attribute it to bad luck, user error, whatever you want, but that's my story, and that's why Im never settling for anything less than an Edge or a FR again.

For the record, my Edge is working fine.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 11:52 PM

The RG 470/ 450 is definitely NOT discontinued. In fact these are now top of the line RG since the 5XX models were exalted to the Prestige range. After reading this you might wanna enquire with your dealer as to why these units arenít available in the USA. Forgive the unsteady hands, bu the following picís are taken from the 2003 catalogue featuring the 470/ 450Ö

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 06:09 PM

That RG450 looks damn cool!

I want one........ Edge Pro II's and their inability to be upgraded scare me, though.

Tags
edge trem , low trs , neck joint , neck plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode