RG-4something or other. Fixed bridge. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2002, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

RG-4something or other. Fixed bridge.

I have a friend that has an RG series guitar that I'm probably going to buy. The modl number is scratched off except for the first digit which is a 4. The guitar is fixed bridge, made a few years go. The fixed bridge looks to be of higher quality than the new 421, there are raised sides to keep the saddle from moving around on it. Paint is a lightish metallic blue. Two humbuckers, rosewood board. Can anybody give an ID on this puppy?

(Edited by pd0x at 4:01 pm on Feb. 22, 2002)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

K, thanks for all the help guys But anyways I found out that it was an RG-470FX, and boy does it need a lot of work. Here's a short list:

1. Electronics need to be rewired, it all seems properly connected, but all I get is buzz coming out the
* *output jack.
2. Neck Pickup ring is broken and needs to be replaced
3. Middle pickup cover, well I don't know about this but it lookes like the guy was using a razor blade as a
* *pick and he directly attacked the middle pickup! It's sickening.
4. Neck pickup is missing a height adjust spring and screw.
5. Nut is chipped in important areas and needs to be replaced.
6. Frets are slightly gouged at the headstock end of the neck. I don't know if this will require work or not.
7. Some of the black paint on the headstock needs retouching.
8. There are some real bad saddle burrs on both E string saddles. Either need filing or replacement.
9. The guitar was dropped on concrete once and there's a huge gouge on the rear bottom edge. There
* *are other body flaws as well and they all need filling and paint.
10. There's dust in places on the guitar that I didn't think dust could get, under the pickup cover for
* * *example. I dont get it.

Luckily the neck itself is in good shape and the bridge pickup has been replaced by a Duncan JB or Distortion (can't tell which.) These two things are the only redeeming qualities of this monster.

(Actual question w/ a purpose)
Now I am still sure that I want to buy it off of the guy, but how much would you say that it's worth?

(Edited by pd0x at 11:19 am on Mar. 2, 2002)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 11:37 AM

without seeing it I'd pay $200 at most but with the probs(those aren't minor problems) you mentioned, I'd talk the guy down to $180 or even less. I mean I got a brand new RG550 for $350, and an excellent condition S470 w/ tune-o-matic for $250, so that's what I'm basing it on for an offer.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2002, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

That sounds about right. I'm probably going to trade the guy an old Alesis MidiVerb 3 and 70-80 bucks for it. Maybe a little more cash if he demands it, but I know he doesn't like the guitar so I think that he'll settle for that. Thanks
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 06:18 PM

dude, I have the new RG421, and it is made in Japan, and it is good quality. The neck pocket is tight (more than passes the business card test) the electronics and wiring is clean, everything is good to go.

I'd make sure that 470FX isn't Korean, because I wouldn't touch that if it was.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

I like this a lot more than the 421. I've had the guitar in my house for a day and I've spend a full day restoring it. (I haven't bought it yet, but I will be in a day or two) The only thing that needs fixing now is the pickup selector that is acting kind of funny.

The bridge on the 421 is similar to a fixed bridge strat while the 470FX's bridge has raised sides which hold the saddles in very tightly so there is absolutely no movement on the saddles. This improves tone, due to the better vibrational transfer, sustain, due to the greater mass of the bridge, and tuning cuz the saddles will move around less.

As much as a pain in the ass this is it's definately worth it to be cuz this is the best sounding Ibanez I've ever heard. The bridge is phenominal and whatever duncan is in the bridge produces an unholy wail
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 07:37 AM

Quote:
pd0x on 5:37 pm on Mar. 3, 2002
The bridge on the 421 is similar to a fixed bridge strat while the 470FX's bridge has raised sides which hold the saddles in very tightly so there is absolutely no movement on the saddles. This improves tone, due to the better vibrational transfer, sustain, due to the greater mass of the bridge, and tuning cuz the saddles will move around less.
If you say so. I have zero tuning problems with my 421, and it sustains forever.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Polaris20 on 7:37 am on Mar. 4, 2002

If you say so. I have zero tuning problems with my 421, and it sustains forever.
Oh I'm sure it does, any fixed bridge is better than a trem in almost all cases, I just like the 470's better.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 05:16 PM

I'm guessing the 470FX is Korean. To my knowledge BESIDES the 421 all 4XX's and below were always Korean. Could be wrong but untill the 421 that was always a rule.

Korean, Japanese, American, Russian...??? Whatever country your guitar originates from if it you like it and sounds good then PLAY YOUR HEART OUT ON IT!!! hehe

Can we get some pics of this FX bridge? I know the type of bridge your talking about, they sell them on wdmusicproducts.com and such but Ive never seen an Ibanez come stock with it. And in defense for your bridge I'll say I've noticed all PRS's and most high high quailty guitars have the fixed bridges with raised sides....Hey..They got to be there for something...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it's Korean, but the only normal problem I see with korean ibanez' is the tremolo, which in this case isn't *I'll try and get some pics up, but I don't have a digital camera or scanner. My friend does have a scanner however and I'll see if I can get some taken developed and scanned.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 09:03 PM

Quote:
MADWELL on 4:16 pm on Mar. 4, 2002
I'm guessing the 470FX is Korean. To my knowledge BESIDES the 421 all 4XX's and below were always Korean. Could be wrong but untill the 421 that was always a rule.

Korean, Japanese, American, Russian...??? Whatever country your guitar originates from if it you like it and sounds good then PLAY YOUR HEART OUT ON IT!!! hehe

Can we get some pics of this FX bridge? I know the type of bridge your talking about, they sell them on wdmusicproducts.com and such but Ive never seen an Ibanez come stock with it. And in defense for your bridge I'll say I've noticed all PRS's and most high high quailty guitars have the fixed bridges with raised sides....Hey..They got to be there for something...
The current RG470 is also Japanese, as is the SC420. The S470 is Korean however.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 09:42 PM

when did the rg470's go back to japanese maunfacturing plants?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2002, 11:23 AM

I don't know. I bought a RG470 last year and it was Japanese. I think back to '99 at least.

Tags
alesis midiverb , bridge pickup , fixed bridge , neck pickup , pickup cover , pickup ring , rosewood board , string saddle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode