rg 520 550 560 565 570 ahhh! whats the diffrerence? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

rg 520 550 560 565 570 ahhh! whats the diffrerence?

im sure alot of other people feel this way.... if not, im a goober but anywho.

i know they different but i cant tell what one model is to another. i know they have different pickup configs like hsh ans hss and one model has a reversed headstock but i cant name any of them. to me its a big grey line in my brain labeld rg5xx. can anyone please list em out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 04:17 PM

Reviews: 5
basically there are three kinds of differences between Ibanez guitars.

The biggest differences are body-shape/signature differences.. These define the NAME of the guitar. Every guitar with the same shape/signature gets the same name. Then the model numbers come in.

The leading number, the 7xx, 5xx, 4xx, 3xx, 2xx, 1xx etc define what you could call "quality" points. The higher the number (generally) the higher the quality.

JEMs are a weird exception here. Generally a RG770 is better than an RG370 and a JS1000 is better than a JS100, but a JEM77FP is no better or worse than a JEM7VWH. Additionally, many would argue quality of a JEM7VWH is better than that of a JEM777DY etc. So, JEMs are weird- leave them out of this discussion.
In the past, you could also define the characteristics of each range...

7xx models had paint-matching inlays and headstocks.
5xx models had paint-matching headstocks but plain inlays
4xx models had similar paint options but TRS trems
3xx models had fewer paint options and TRS trems
2xx models had even few options and worse trems
1xx models were only Ibanez guitars in name.

Then the second set of numbers the x70, x50, x20 said something about the model's hardware and pickguards.

x70 models had H-S-H pickup setups and no pickguard
x65 models had S-H-H pickup setups and no pickguard and reverse headstock
x60 models had S-H-H pickups setups and no pickguard
x50 models had H-S-H pickup setups and a pickguard
x20 models had H-H pickup setups and no pickguard
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 04:44 PM

I've been playing Ibanez guitars since about 1993 (and admired them long before that).

I had no idea about the numbering system. Very interesting. Thanks man!
~K
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 04:44 PM

only one or two years of the 7xx series had matching headstocks the rest were black lik everything else. Ibanez has been typically blurring the lines more and more these days and now only the second two numbers in the model number really mean anything at all about the configuration of the guitar. Quality is moot with rgs after 500 and up as they all use the same basic woods and trems, its just the 700 series will have inlays and whatnot. The 6xx series has been typically reserved for one off guitars, and weird designs, but more and more ibanez blurs even this. At one time you could get a guitar with almost any option in the us, now you basically just get a trem and wood as weird guitars arent as popular as in the eighties, at least in the us. If you want to see ibanez, check out the japanese website
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

the stuff the have in japan..... OMG
i need to do a guitar shopping spree over there

how come they get so many cooler guitars than us?
well.... heh heh.... thats another topic post
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 04:54 PM

They get more guitars than us, as they have strict japanese pride and dont like to buy american products, as well as the fact that japanese are devoute fans, and tend to not abandon bands. People who dont have a career here anymore, are still gods in japan like paul gilbert, which is why they sell more of his guitars there than here. Im basically at a lost anymore for american musical taste its just stiffed for the past ten years worse than the eighties even. I mean good god look at what weve become. I wish we would make up our minds on who we are and what we wish to be
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

so does RGxx5 mean reversed headstock then? isnt that the 565?

ps: 1077 in black with cream binding over in japan and thats just one of about 20 that i want and the us doesnt have
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 05:02 PM

I beleive it does the x6x typically means a single coil pickup in the neck as well
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan7620
so does RGxx5 mean reversed headstock then? isnt that the 565?
no, as the RG505 essentially had the configuration of the RG550
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 06:09 PM

I dont know but doesntt the xx5 mean pickguard eqipped? This would be a good project for us, maybe we should gather pictures of the inidividual rgs and make it a little clearer on what means what and where it was made, and what from and for

Ah nevermind I just read over it again. Some input from glen and rich or at least general corrections would be highly appreciated as Im really more of an RG player than a jem
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 11:04 PM

Why are some models so much harder to find than others? ie. s540s
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 11:23 PM

SHH???
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 01:11 AM

Ibanez doesnt make any to my knowledge 7vwh needs to edit his post i think.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 01:43 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
They get more guitars than us, as they have strict japanese pride and dont like to buy american products, as well as the fact that japanese are devoute fans, and tend to not abandon bands.
You're right about the fact that artists long forgotten elsewhere still have a devout following in Japan, but you're entirely wrong about the guitars. The Japanese will buy 5 Fenders to every Ibanez sold in Japan, they crave American products more than they do their own. The reason the have such a large selection is because the Japanese have access to the "world catalog" of every model made for every market, period.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 01:48 AM

Thats quite a good point. I guess Ive been deceived that was my general assumption rich. Actually as some guitarist have stated the korean made ibanezes arent as easy to get in japan and vice versa. Does the korean factory make anything cool that we cant get here? Might they also have a separate website?

Tags
black headstock , coil pickup , dot inlay , dot inlays , flame maple , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck plate , neck position , paul gilbert , pro edge , reverse headstock , reversed headstock , trs trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode