RG-550 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

RG-550

Hey guys. I am new to the forum so I'll give a hello to start =). I am new at setting up guitars and the one here for Jems looks really good. I am wondering if I can apply what I read to my RG550 or if I should look somewhere else for set up tips....thanx guys....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:26 PM

yeah, you can apply most of the stuff (the difference being edge or lo pro edge)

also check the tech section at ibanez rules (banner above). lots of useful tips there too.

and...before you start....you don't need to remove the strings to remove the trem.....that wil save you HOURS
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Welcome aboard IVsakeN, caprile is right, just select the trem type that you've got, either lo-pro or original Edge, and then set up your RG550 in exactly the same way. I do with mine
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

thanx a lot guys....I feel at home in this forum already. Im not a guitar pro or anything but it just feels to me the action is not where it should be. I just wanna make sure I know what I am doing before I mess somthing up cause I love my guitar heheh. Thanx again guys...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 06:03 PM

Yeah, I suck at playing, setting up, etc... you name it, I'm no good, but I do like this place.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

I guess my first prob was looking at the trem pic and the RG550 seems to set into the guitar a little more and I am having trouble setting the angle to start out. I am guessing the trem needs to be raised if it need to look like the jem pic. I guess the pic guard could make it a little different but I see I can't really move on till i get the trem angel right...thanx again guys for all your help....peace
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:51 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
welcome to the forum.

the same *exact* setup principles apply... see the jemsite tech area ...glen
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

So I want my trem exactly as high as the one I see in the pic?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 08:01 PM
Vendor

Not exactly, you want the knife edge perpendicular to the post.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech.htm#Trem_Angle
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

I have never tried to set up a guitar before and I am just so not sure what to lose to make it soud and play perfect. I want to get the lowest action obviously but I dont want to lose my sustain or have buzz. Also I dont want the guitar to be too stuff at the same time for some nice bends. I have read over the tech stuff but I am worried I am going to mess somthing up...where should I start guys? Thanx
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 11:13 AM

Chances are that you will mess something up (I know I did a lot). That doesn't really matter, because you can always do it again and the second time around you will know more about what you are doing. After a while of testing and failing you will ace the setup without problems.

If you get stuck you can always post in the tech section. A good idea is also to look at the archives as most questions have been answered before.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanx a lot guys. This christmas when I buy my JPM then I will be truly happy. I just hope I see a HAM for sale around that time hehe. Peace guys...

Tags
pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode