RG 550 Acrylic - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

RG 550 Acrylic

I dont suppose anyone has ever heard of an RG body being made from clear acrylic? or does anyone know who could make something like that?

Ive seen some wierdo jem knock offs, but the surface isnt flat.. and they arent gaurd mounted, i really wanna recreate and RG style guitar but completely clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 05:15 AM

man you and your ideas, i knew when we talked about this your wouldnt leave it as just an idea lol,

what about the jackson custom shop, if its possible they should do it shouldnt they?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 06:45 AM

Rob dude,You might wanna check these dudes out ;-)

http://www.crystalguitars.com/

I think it may be helpfull,Just remember to wear clothing or everyone will see your willy

God it's too early for me to be helpfull ;-)

Rob
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 06:46 AM

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:58 am !!!!!!!! Rob,are you living on US time

Take care bud,And if you know of any bits and piece's for a San Dimas,plate,neck etc ... Gimme a shout i just grabbed a body :-)

Rob
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 12:55 PM

robs not on u.s time just dangerously sleep deprevated. its all just coz he lays in all morning

oh the envy lol
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 01:39 PM

I'll drop my kids off one night,that'll put an end to his sleep ins ... Mwahahahahhahaha

Rob
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

no please, spare me the kids!!!

thanks for the link rob, already found that one around 5:00am :P asked him for a quote on an RG body, if he can do it... the project begins... mwhahahaha

(other) Rob
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

it would appear it can be done...

Ive enlisted LGMs help for a rather special neck to be made. i guess this thread will become the base of operations for updates on this somewhat radical take on an RG.

Rob :P
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 04:10 PM

Oooo Show pics dammit ... Am i jumpin the gun a bit ;-)

Rob,I knew someone would grab this idea,i have been thinking about a perspex hollow chambered guitar for years,My only obstacle (sp?) was how to feed the fish once they are in there ... No joke i am Deadly serious !!!!

Rob (possibly the crazier one) (possibly ;-))
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

well im not thinking hollow actually, im going to try and make the body solid acrylic save for the routing. no trem either, just a strat style string through hardtail.(a la PGM) im also going for an acrylic fretboard, something that LGM is going to help make a reality. the idea is that the neck with be completely matt silver, and so you will see the silver neck and truss rod system through the fretboard... the headstock will be a similar style, matt silver with an acrylic plate screwed on, like the metal plate on the JS10 headstock. lastly, some form of subtle illumination will be rigged through the body, fretboard, and headstock, to give the illusion of the entier guitar glowing, rather than just a light source in the center of the body or from the fretmarkers. Still in design stage atm, but definantly something i want to make a reality, and will do so as soon as LGM finishes the other two projects he is working on for me (so, production begins in about a month with any luck)

Rob (not crazy...just different )
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
Oooo Show pics dammit ... Am i jumpin the gun a bit ;-)

Rob,I knew someone would grab this idea,i have been thinking about a perspex hollow chambered guitar for years,My only obstacle (sp?) was how to feed the fish once they are in there ... No joke i am Deadly serious !!!!

Rob (possibly the crazier one) (possibly ;-))
Get some of those plastic fish with magnets inside them, have the chambers just above the pickups, watch the fish bob as you change pups.
Don't wanna be cracking that guitar now do we :S
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
I think it may be helpfull,Just remember to wear clothing or everyone will see your willy
Uhh... is that "Willy" an Orca whale?

I browse the crystal guitar pages, and their price is too high for me. The custom body alone is $750, right? But it is very cool to have crystal RG.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I think the main problem with acrylic crystal looking guitars, is the lack of continuity that having a wooden neck and fingerboard creates. i mean, it just looks to me, usually, like a plastic body, with a neck stuck on it, which i dont think is cool, although i like the concept, so with this, im going to try and get an overall futuristic vibe, not just the body, but a very unique design of neck and headstock to compliment the clear body, rather than just bolt onto it and be functional.

Rob
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 12:55 AM

I always thought BC Rich was clever in the way they attached an acrylic headstock to their clear guitars at the scarf joint. Dunno about the long-term strength of that wood/plastic glue joint, though.

One thing i don't like about those clear guitars is that they don't seem to polish the control cavities. On the JS Crystal Planet they did, but some of the routs and drilled-out channels were still that frosty white, which kinda spoils the look, in my opinion.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

as LGM will tell you, those headstocks are far from stable, apparently he had 4 of them brought to him by a local dealer where the headstocks had seperated from the neck!

Tags
crystal planet , custom shop , jackson custom shop , scarf joint , strat style , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode