RG 550 project/partscaster! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
RG 550 project/partscaster!

Hey guys,
So I decided to do a partscaster of a 550 using a combination of stuff I had lying around or a I got a bargain on! I have another really cool 550 that I gained some spare parts from too. I also post that one up with anyone is interested

First the body I picked up for around 50 bucks I believe. It had some issues as there was some deeper sloppy routing in the cavity, which I had to seal up with a bit of wood filler sadly, and the previous owner also installing an outer jack in place of the recessed one for which I have no idea..because it works I plan to keep it. In addition there are the usual pocket cracks, but not an issue for me.

The neck I picked up off a forum member, it was from a 570, and is in very good shape for its age! I put some older gotoh tuners a had from an aria pro ii neck, and replaced the heads of the tuners with modern (schaller shaped?) ones, rather than the original oval.

Some other things I picked up were a ofr for only 100 bucks on ebay that was basically brand new! Came with multiple trem blocks, as well as nuts! Probably the best pickup on this project! I plan to set it up and see how it does next to my edge. I am still waiting for a special order from ibanez for the locking studs which should be in next week.

The pickups I've used so far are dimarzio green tone zone bought off a forum member, and a lace sensor gold as the single-not sure if i'll keep, but I lean towards a jazzy sound and i'm not very fond of the typical single tones. I plan to pick up a green paf joe soon to complete it. Everything is wired up so far, just waiting on the final pickup.

Lastly, and I think one of the coolest things about this pickguard is I used the guard off my other 550. I didn't feel like putting down $50 on a guard, and had this one sitting around-The problem was though, it was covered in this nasty white acrylic paint, so I began to sand/chemically/razor blade off the old white paint. I got back to the original black, but wasn't satisfied with the result as there were many micro scratches. I then came up with the idea to cover the guard with printing laminate in black sparkle! This came out really well, and is extremely hard to notice that it is amateur! In all I recommend it to anyone with an old guard that they want to freshen up!

In the end still looking for an ibanez japan neckplate at a non ridiculous price haha I also will change out the knobs to black ones, and I need to make the back cavity covers which i'll probably do with the project guitar method!

If anyone has any comments or advice please feel free to note

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 10:47 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: RG 550 project/partscaster!

That is VERY cool man..... I like the pickguard too, it's very original.

Can't wait to see the finished product!!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 PM

Reviews: 2

BTW..... you should PM AlaskaBat. He may have some 550 spare parts laying around. Maybe even a barrel jack!!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
That is VERY cool man..... I like the pickguard too, it's very original.

Can't wait to see the finished product!!!
thanks man i appreciate it! I want to do something a little different with this 550. and I will check with him to see if he has any spare parts around. i probably would have to plug up the old jack hole and recut because who ever had it carved away a bit of wood from the jack..no major.. but probably enough to cause an issue. i dont know what the previous owner was thinking
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 06:06 PM

Pretty cool. Great job on the pickguard!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

hey guys,
just wanting on a green paf i have coming in the mail! here is a picture of my other rg 550 too that i got for cheap and put alot of work into the previous owner did some really cool vai-ish artwork on it, and repainted the rest in sparkle blue. it was originally the same color white as the one im working on now too!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 PM

The one with the white pickguard is ultra cool, love it!!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
The one with the white pickguard is ultra cool, love it!!!
thanks man i really appreciate it! i love the maple neck on it too- it does have a bit of issues from the scarf joint with a little bump from 1st to 3rd fret, but its alright with me. i had to redo the headstock on this one too as it was coated in a not pretty acrylic paint before as well.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 03:57 AM

Reviews: 4

Looks awesome, so far so good!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 04:08 PM

Reviews: 1

that is awesome man!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Finished the project...besides some major wiring issues, and minor things. I bought some pots, switches, and a new barrel jack from axecessories and I'm going to get a tech to set it up for me. I still am looking for a Japanese neck plate, and need to get the screws for the truss rod cover. Just a note, anyone interesting putting in a floyd into a Japanese RG, it fits no problem. I am looking to get a tremol-no, and a d tuna so I can run this guitar in drop d easily too! Any comments feel free to bring.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 01:41 PM

Reviews: 4

Lookin awesome, great job!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGrendel View Post
Lookin awesome, great job!
thanks :] it was a really fun project. better than any strat i've put together lol
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:05 AM

Reviews: 19

Great project! Good job!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:24 AM

Looks awesome- I especially like the one with the sparkly scratchplate!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode