RG 550 or RG 750 - Is one any better than the other? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

RG 550 or RG 750 - Is one any better than the other?

*I am considering purchasing for my "Rocker" son either an older Rg 550 or an RG 750 both of which are in the same price range. *The condition of both are about equal. *Wondering which of the two you Ibanez gurus would prefer. *Both guitars have the original pickups. * Thanks in advance for your advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
RG 550 or RG 750

There are slight differences between the RG750 and RG550, some are definate improvements others are personal preference.

The main difference is in the pickups. The 550 came originally eqipped with the V1 S1 V2 arrangement of pickups which were manufactured in the far east. The 750 had units from the IBZ/USA line which were both designed and manufactured in the USA by DiMarzio. These are pretty much universally accepted to be superior to the ones found on the 500 series guitars.

The other difference that is instantly apparent is the fretboard material. The 550 came equipped with a maple fingerboard with black plastic dot inlays whilst the originally more expensive 750 had a bound rosewood board with pearloid "shark tooth" inlays. Whilst this was a more expensive option, I think personaly preference plays a big part in deciding the merits of fingerboard wood and the usefulness of binding on a neck.

I beleive the colour choices also varied a fair bit between the two guitars with the RG700 series also having cosmo black hardware like that found on the original JEMs.

hope this helps a little
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 11:53 PM

RG 550 or RG 750

Jono nailed it,although the 700 series came stock(91& on)with the Lo-Pro tremolo,which in my opinion makes for easier string changes because of easier access to the locking screws on the saddles.Resale is a little higher too.But it pretty much does just get down to personal preference,as both guitars are fine instruments.My 2cents.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 07:34 PM

RG 550 or RG 750

I recently got my hands on a mint all black '89 RG750, and I'm in love with it..
It feels great in my hands and looks pretty damn nice to boot!
Although I plan on changing out the stock electronics for DiMarzio Breeds and a HS-2 for the
middle, the stock electonics are quite good and will find their way into one of my cheaper
Ibanez guitars..
It's worth buying if the price is right!

Tags
cosmo black hardware , dimarzio breed , dimarzio breeds , dot inlay , dot inlays , fingerboard wood , ibanez guitars , maple fingerboard , pro tremolo , rosewood board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode