RG 550 Silver sticker & RG550 stamped on rear of headstock? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
RG 550 Silver sticker & RG550 stamped on rear of headstock?

Hi guys,

Another noob question for you!

Saw an RG550 for sale locally with a silver serial number sticker with black print on it and "Made in Japan" printed below in black. It also has RG 550 stamped on to the rear of the headstock.

Just curious to see if it is real because the price is right.

Also has what appears to be an OE with "Licensed Under Floyd Rose Patents" stamped on it.

I don't know my 550s well enough, so I'm at your mercy.

Cheers,

Laobi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 11:40 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: RG 550 Silver sticker & RG550 stamped on rear of headstock?

Would have to see pics, but I'd be cautious. Ibanez NEVER stamped a model number onto a guitar. There were stickers in the early days, but that was it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 06:31 PM

Well is it really stamped or is it that gold-ish label?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

You're on the money Dexter! Damn my jaded eyes, it's an aged gold clear sticker. Does that mean what I think it means?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 09:50 PM

sounds right to me.

but picture can do the justice.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laobi View Post
You're on the money Dexter! Damn my jaded eyes, it's an aged gold clear sticker. Does that mean what I think it means?
Yup, sounds like the real thing.......got any pics??
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the helpful replies. Here are the pictures as requested.

Hope this helps. It's going at a great price, however the previous owner to the seller did some unspeakable modifications to the edge of the body of the guitar - so I am considering paying an extra 50 to the seller if he can dig up the address of the previous owner so that I may visit him and convince him of the errors of his ways
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 08:32 PM

yeah, real thing.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much Psycho, RGT and Dexter! Really appreciate the help there. Ran the serial and it's an '87. It's in need of some tlc, but 80s and early 90s 550s never come up locally, we're awash with re-issues and later 90s ones. Somewhere previous to the current seller, some tool thought it would be cool to cut a little scalloped pattern around the outer edge of the front body, no doubt thinking he was quite the designer, he wasn't and should be crucified, set on fire and urinated upon for such an act. At the end of the day I've wanted one of those for a while and I want to play it. Most players have a horn for the late 80s ones, so I'm hoping it lives up to it. I've a couple of ideas for it and will post pics and seek advice when I buy it.

Again thank you for all of your help.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laobi View Post
Thank you very much Psycho, RGT and Dexter! Really appreciate the help there. Ran the serial and it's an '87. It's in need of some tlc, but 80s and early 90s 550s never come up locally, we're awash with re-issues and later 90s ones. Somewhere previous to the current seller, some tool thought it would be cool to cut a little scalloped pattern around the outer edge of the front body, no doubt thinking he was quite the designer, he wasn't and should be crucified, set on fire and urinated upon for such an act. At the end of the day I've wanted one of those for a while and I want to play it. Most players have a horn for the late 80s ones, so I'm hoping it lives up to it. I've a couple of ideas for it and will post pics and seek advice when I buy it.

Again thank you for all of your help.
Awesome man! Glad your buying it and looking forward to the pics. After a good thorough "going thru", you'll understand why we get such "wood" for these guitars.......LOL

Is guitar abuse still punishable by flogging in Ireland? If not- it should be.......
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 02:05 PM

Sounds like a cool find! Despite the "alterations" by the previous owner... lol. Hate to see that happen... although I'm guilty of butchering my first Ibanez (and first guitar) in an effort to "upgrade" it. I still have it as a reminder to leave sh!t alone!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

@ RGT - it should be punishable by being shot with his own balls of ****e, wait until you see what the dingbat did to it. It looks like he took acid in a toolshop while watching a fiesta on TV.

@ Fire - A great find, the guy had originally listed it at a price in line with 550s here, I think he realised that the "improvements" made by the first owner scuttled that ship, so he re-listed it at a quarter of the price. The funniest thing was you still had guys trying to get it even cheaper than that, it's €150 with a case, there's really no dropping from there.
Yes I hold my hand up to "upgrades" too, my first guitar at 16 was a Japanese strat (when they were giving them away and everyone looked down on them). I saw EVH's Frankenstrat on a guitar mag and thought that design was for me but in black and red. Started sanding the old finish off the correct way with fine sandpaper, it took an age just to get a little done, decided to speed the process up with my dad's drill and some sanding disks, of course that shaved chunks off the thing.

Then knowing absolutely nothing about paint (still don't, so I may be back here when it comes to getting rid of some of the more tasteless "decorative features" on this guitar) I went straight to the local motor factors and bought 4 cans of their finest spray, taped off my lines and got to work, peeled off the tape before everything had dried so it looked like EVH had taken a leak on it. Wish I still had that one. It taught me never to tough another guitar, people forget we didn't have the internet to teach us the correct way, we had to rely on friends who knew as little as we did.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 05:07 PM

Fabulous guitars. Enjoy!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 10:18 PM

Both my '03 RG370DX and '96 RG470 have the model numbers stamped in silver on the back of the headstock. My '91 RG550 doesn't have the model number stamped on it, but the serial number is. No stickers.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Skot View Post
Both my '03 RG370DX and '96 RG470 have the model numbers stamped in silver on the back of the headstock. My '91 RG550 doesn't have the model number stamped on it, but the serial number is. No stickers.
Your '91 would have had the same "RG550" sticker as above when it was new. It was very common for these stickers to fall off.

Tags
rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode