Rg 550 trem question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Rg 550 trem question

I play in one band that plays in standard tuning and another band that tunes down a half-step. Will it strip the screws for the spring claw if I change tuning a few times a week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 05:43 AM

Re: Rg 550 trem question

Yes, you need two guitars.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Would the schaller sure claw allow me to adjust the spring tension regularly without doing damage to the guitar?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 AM

Reviews: 120

Seriously, you are far better off with a second guitar. Constantly playing with your guitars setup will be a pain in the ass. It's not just the trem claw, its intonating your bridge to ensure your guitar plays in tune ( or as close as possible ) for both tunings. Truss rod alignments, etc. You are going to wear things out prematurely.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 11:38 AM

Reviews: 1

Get another guitar. I have 3. 1 for standard E. 1 for down a whole step. And 1 for down a step drop D. It is a huge pain just to switch tunings with 1 guitar not to mention spring tension, intonation, neck relief, action. Or you can get a fixed bridge.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 PM

Or you might consider a Morpheus Droptune pedal. About $200 new or much less on Craigslist etc. You can drop half steps all the way to a full octave if you wish. I have one and it's indispensable when I'm learning Mastodon tunes!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodVaibes View Post
Or you might consider a Morpheus Droptune pedal. About $200 new or much less on Craigslist etc. You can drop half steps all the way to a full octave if you wish. I have one and it's indispensable when I'm learning Mastodon tunes!
I haven't heard of that. So it just takes the input signal and drops it by x steps?

Is it accurate?

I suppose as long as you're not playing so quietly that you can hear your guitar strings vibrate in addition to hearing the note come out of your amp, that would work.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
I haven't heard of that. So it just takes the input signal and drops it by x steps?

Is it accurate?

I suppose as long as you're not playing so quietly that you can hear your guitar strings vibrate in addition to hearing the note come out of your amp, that would work.
Yes, very accurate. It has had good reviews. You are also right that it's a bit difficult if you are playing low enough that you can hear the strings acoustically but I doubt that's happening in a band environment.

It also has a choice to 50/50 mix the normal pitch with a full octave drop. This is cool for covering, say, The Dead Weather's 'Blue Blood Blues'.
It is also a cool feature to use when you are practicing scales as it adds a groovy dimension to an otherwise usually dull exercise routine!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

I own the whammy dt and it kills my tone. Is the morpheus better?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 01:24 PM

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 PM

Hey devind9,

I don't really want to tell you yay or nay on the tone, only because one man's trash is another man's treasure! Something that might sound good to me might sound crap to you! Here's a link to the website. I would certainly try it out before buying if you are worried about it.

http://morpheusefxpedals.com/droptune.php

I hope you do find the pedal useful though!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 02:44 PM

That morpheius sounds pretty neat.

For the original poster, yes you will probably be better off with another guitar so you can have each setup appropiately. Assuming you need the floating trem capability on each one. If you are not really using the trem in either band an option to consider would be installing a Tremol-No bar in the back cavity. That would allow you turn the floating bridge into a hardtail and it would be easier to change from standard A440 to a half step down and back without too much issue.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 PM

2 guitars or a capo. your choice.

rich

Tags
edge , rg 550 , tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode