RG 550 various questions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

RG 550 various questions

Greetz to all, it's good to finally find a forum that has an excelent quality not only due to its topics but also because of the users. Keep it going

I am acquiring an Ibanez RG 550, you know it, Basswood body, maple fretboard 24, v7 s1 v8, and this is my first question: edge or edge pro? I think it's a 2003 model since it's not the 1550 (is there any difference? (question #2))

Since im a big addicted to soloing (believe me, I suck, but who cares ) i need to get a decent pickup for the neck, as close as possible to the sound created by emgs but without getting active pickups... i thought about PAF Pro but i don't really have a clue what should be the best - just say names.
I also need an excelent pickup for the bridge to be used mainly with high levels with distortion so just go ahead and give me some names, if you will.

The last question is regarding to the tremolo: Is it good? I've only worked with Lo-Pro Edge and it's simply amazing, now this one i dont have a clue.

Thx in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 03:02 AM

RG550 specs/model year

What color is your new RG? Some finishes have been offered for about 15 years by now, others are/were limited to only a couple years of production. As far as your questions about the pickups, there is a separate page you can get to from the Jemsite index devoted to pickups, and I think you can still find specs for them on DiMarzio's web site.

As far as the Lo-Pro Edge vs. the Edge Pro, they seem to be the same in many respects, but the newer system has slight design changes to allow Ibanez to get out from under Floyd Rose licensing fees. I don't think you can directly replace one for the other, because of a difference in the mounting screws. But either one IMHO is a superior trem to what you'd be likely to find on similarly priced Fenders or Gibsons.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 05:10 AM

Re: RG 550 various questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nott^^
I am acquiring an Ibanez RG 550, you know it, Basswood body, maple fretboard 24, v7 s1 v8, and this is my first question: edge or edge pro? I think it's a 2003 model since it's not the 1550 (is there any difference? (question #2))

Thx in advance
This is confusing because you say you think it's a 2003 but not an RG 1550. If it's a 2003 model is IS an RG 1550.
If your trem has the fine tuners mounted higher on kind of a "whale tail" then it's an RG 550. If the trem is more flush with the top of the guitar it's a 1550. The easiest way to determine what model year it is , just look on the back of the headstock. "F02XXXX"=2002; "F03XXXX"= 2003.

The difference between the RG 550 & the RG 1550 are the trem (Edge vs. Edge Pro) and that the 1550 is designated "Prestige", I guess some extra TLC. Otherwise the same guitar. RG 550's ended in 2002. RG 1550's began in 2003 but ended here in the USA in early 2004(bummer).
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 06:17 AM

Neck PAFPRO, Air Norton

Bridge I would suggest Super Distortion (what I have on a 2002 570EX) or even a PAFPRO as well.

The PAFPROs are versatile enough for both positions, not knowing exactly what type of music you're looking to play.

Tags
air norton , basswood body , floyd rose , maple fret , maple fretboard , paf pro , pro edge , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode