Rg 550 vs Rg 1451 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
ILP

Rg 550 vs Rg 1451

I think this would be the right section, apologies if not. How would you say these two compare? I own a rg1451 but am thinking of part exchanging it for a late '00 rg550. I'd prefere the trem on the 550 (dunno what one it is though, lo-pro :-s) and the guitar is in real nice shape but i've not had a chance to compare side by side, what are your opinions/thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 11:20 PM

Re: Rg 550 vs Rg 1451

They are essentially the same guitar with some minor hardware differences. It boils down to whether you think the trem is worth it, and how much boot you get with it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
ILP

Yeah I Guess. I won't get a chance to play it for a couple of weeks so i was just wondering if there are any quality deffrences, feel diffrences that anyone can share (keep hearing that older prestiges are better ect.)
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILP View Post
Yeah I Guess. I won't get a chance to play it for a couple of weeks so i was just wondering if there are any quality deffrences, feel diffrences that anyone can share (keep hearing that older prestiges are better ect.)
The biggest difference is the bridge, floating v fixed. Many people make the "back in the day" claim but there's nothing wrong with the modern Fujigen guitars.

Peace

Mike
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 PM

I think I read on this site that the 5 piece necks are more stable in environments with extreme weather swings. I had a 550 back when they were new and thought it was an outstanding guitar. Wish I still had it. I have a 1550M now. If I had to choose between my new 1550M and a used 550, I would pick the 1550 simply because it is new and I prefer to get a lot of life out of my main guitar.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:24 PM

Reviews: 11

hmm well the 550 would be nice because you can get a tremol-no and only keep the trem as an option and get all the benifits of a fixed bridge and a trem. and way better tuning stability in fixed bridge mode
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:47 PM

I think it depends on your background with guitars and where you see yourself going as a guitarist. I started out on fixed bridges but thought it would be a injustice to myself by not using a tremolo bridge guitar. So I bought a 1570 and played on that for a few years...now I find myself going back to playing the 1421 I got from Rich at ibanezrules (plug) haha. I really like the simplicity of the fixed bridges and I realized you can't change your style of playing sometimes...so I went with whats most natural to me and thats a non trem bridge guitar. But I still own my 1570...so I occasionally bust it out. But if your limited to only choosing one guitar...I may have to tell you to get the 550 only because you can block the trem off and basically make it a fixed bridge guitar...and then unblock it again to make it floating. So atleast you have options. But I love the quality of the Tight End Bridge...and the guitar feels nice and light so its easy on the shoulder for long playing periods.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 10:00 PM

Try them out, A/B them. I'd probably take the '00. I don't really care about the tremolo so much, I can live without an original Edge or Lo Pro. it's more the older necks I prefer.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
ILP

What about neck cracks? where the locking nut is. I had a go on the rg550 today, but the locking nut on the neck had been overtightened and cracked the neck i dunno if that compromises the structural integrity at all ?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILP View Post
What about neck cracks? where the locking nut is. I had a go on the rg550 today, but the locking nut on the neck had been overtightened and cracked the neck i dunno if that compromises the structural integrity at all ?
Therein lies the rub. I like the way the older necks feel, but the five piece ones with the volute are more sturdy. A neck crack would be deal breaker for me. I'd keep your 1451!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
ILP

Yeah that's what i'm thinking. I really liked the neck and the trem, so the neck being cracked like that was pretty annoying because, otherwise, i would have made the deal. I'm pretty much sold on a locking trem guitar (I have a rg1550 and i gets nearly all of my playing) so i'll just keeep looking for a better example i guess.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
Therein lies the rub. I like the way the older necks feel, but the five piece ones with the volute are more sturdy. A neck crack would be deal breaker for me. I'd keep your 1451!
I'm late jumping in here but I have to say something about the very common neck cracks on rear mounted locking nuts...

Often they effect tuning and structural integrity not one bit. I have a 1990 RG550 that has a V shaped crack at the bolts and have had no trouble with it whatsoever (the crack has been there, and has not gotten larger, for the past 10 years or so... appeared after I threw the guitar)

I had someone bring me an old 570 that had the same type of crack, but had tuning instability... everything else was okay on the guitar so I assumed it was the crack causing the problem.

Did some research on how to fix it, and while a little scary to pull the wood back a bit to get the glue in, after the glue set and the wood sanded smooth; the guitar was as good as new with only nominal tuning glitches (no more than you expect on any guitar) so the repair was a success.

My point?

Don't write off a guitar because of this crack, if it's bad it can be fixed, if it's minor you won't even have to worry about it. I'd use it as a bargaining point to get a lower price though.

One more point; I knew someone years ago that broke the headstock OFF of his Les Paul.
It was a clean break, almost no splintering... a couple of dowels, a drill and quite a bit of glue and he was back in business.

Just about anything can be fixed. Wood glue is an amazing thing and glued wood is usually stronger than a solid piece. (That's why Ibanez makes their necks with multiple pieces of wood, you know. )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode