RG 570 and EMG - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

RG 570 and EMG

Have any of you tried EMG pickups (particularly 60 in the neck, 81 in the bridge, and SA in the middle) on an RG 570? *If so, how do you like it? *This is my current setup, and I was thinking about trying dimarzios. *Before I experiment, I would really like to get some input from other people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 08:38 PM

RG 570 and EMG

Well I dont have an RG 570, but I do have EMG's in my Jem 7DBK. *I originally tried out an 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck. *I quickly concluded that the 81 was a little harsh sounding. *Way too many highs and not enough bass/mids. *

Soon after I tried out the 85 in the bridge. *It sounds great and I havent looked back since. *It sounds really thick and powerful, sporting eveything good about the 81 and everything that it lacked as well. *Do you like the 81 in the bridge position of your RG scream machine?? *It is a great pickup, but just doesnt work out well in my Jem (to my tastes). *I bet it would sound a lot better in a thicker tone guitar like a Les Paul. *ala Zakk Wylde *
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

RG 570 and EMG

I think the 81 is a bit empty sounding, especially since the body of an rg 570 is basswood. *I have an 89 lying around that I might install for the bridge position. *Man, if I do that, I'll have 2 humbuckers and 2 single coils!

I originally liked the 81 in the bridge because it had a harsh metal sound and high gain. *I grew out of this sound and now realize that the 81 doesn't work too well for other things. *It's TOO high end, which works really well at times, but not very versatile. *Plus, I hate the clean sound. *I might try your idea and place the 89 in the bridge. *By the way, how is your switch setup?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 07:24 PM

RG 570 and EMG

Actually it was the 85 I put in the bridge, not the 89. *I hear that the 89 is great though, because "supposedly" *its an 85 and a single coil (maybe the SA?) *all in one. *I didnt go that route though, i just switched put the 85 into the bridge. *It is much more versatile than the 81, and does better for clean tones as well.

Let me know what you do, and how it works out for ya * *
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 10:21 PM

The 85 or the 89 in the Bridge is the way to go.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 05:00 AM

89 in the neck sounded good, and it is effectively a 85 that you can split into an SA. It was a kewl pickup. Sounded good too.

As for the bridge, I've always been partial to the 81 there, but then again I do like my metal. Sounds good though, especially as I found the 85 to be too bassy through my rig at the time when I put that one in the bridge, but then again my sound was different back then.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 09:07 PM

Hi, I'm new here. But I have an RG570 with an EMG 81 in the bridge position. Frankly, I am a little unhappy with it. I don't hate it and I don't love it either. I am considering going back to passives. It is harsh and overdrives my amps too easily. I can get good sounds with it, but I have to play around with the volume and tone knobs to get rid of the potentially buzzy, grainy high end that can come from this pickup.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 10:10 AM

RG570 with EMGs

I've got an RG570 that I have an 85 in the bridge, SA in the middle and an 81 in the neck. Very wonderful setup this way.
The 81 in the bridge was way too bright in this guitar...and most others that I've tried them in. For me, the 85 is definately the way to go for a bridge pickup. I have another guitar that's almost identical to this configuration (not Ibanez) but it's got an 89 in the neck position.
That too is a great setup.

Here's links of my RG570.
http://jimosity.tzo.com:2002/guitars...banezRG570.htm
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 11:08 AM

Reviews: 3
Actually...Im probably about to get a dbk and put an emg 85 in the bridge, 89 in the neck and an sa in the middle. The battery compartment fits right under the trem springs in the cavity right? Something like that, I dont remember.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 06:08 PM

I would put the battery in the electronics cavity.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 07:48 AM

Ibanez 570 with EMG example

Here's an example of how EMGs sound:

http://jimosity.tzo.com/Jim_Rodgers_..._Surrender.mp3

That's my tribute to Steve Vai - Tender Surrender

I used an RG570 that I bought as a parts guitar and installed EMGs in it.
It's got an 81 in the neck, SA in the middle and 85 in the bridge.

Let me know what you think.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 11:30 AM

Hey jrodger9 nice playing. Although a section of that sounded like a direct of "Blue Powder" but hey that's cool it's one of my fav songs. Nice guitar too.

I've got an EMG-81 in the bridge of an LTD M-350 neck thru (that I'm selling so I can buy a new RG-620X) The pickup seems to lack body. I want to try an 85 and if that doesn't work I'm going to shoot for some dimarzios.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 12:19 PM

EMGs

I know my opinion is just that; but I have found that an EMG 81 in the bridge position is too bright and trebly and doesn't have enough body as well; try the EMG 85 in the bridge and put the 81 in the neck.
Some people will disagree about this, but you'll be happier I'm sure.
If you're not happy with the EMGs, check out a Full Shred or a Screamin' Demon.

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge position , clean tone , les paul , neck position , neck thru , steve vai , trem springs , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode