RG-655 crack down neck? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

RG-655 crack down neck?

This is about a month old, changed strings to 10's and adjusted trust rod a very small amount to give some neck relief as it was dead stright on 9's so allowed it to go a bit only need to give slight tention.

So picked guitar up just now after the adjustment was about 3 weeks ago and i felt a raised part at the 2-3 fret on the bback of the neck right in the middle running down the guitar. Got a light on it and yeah there is a crack in the wood, you can see it...

Wtf?! Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Down the very centre :-( what the heck?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8780_1488312685039.jpg (7.0 KB, 97 views)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Another image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8795_1488315897160.jpg (5.1 KB, 94 views)
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8796_1488315961540.jpg (6.8 KB, 91 views)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 04:39 PM

Re: RG-655 crack down neck?

This isn't your month...
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemboyee View Post
This isn't your month...
You couldn't make this **** up! Wouldn't mind but I bought this because of the "Japanese Quality" :-(

Problem is I've changed the strings from 9's to 10's so I adjusted thr trust rod as you should but i know music shops are like "you adjusted your own trust rod" like they are the only people that can do it, so before I get slammed for "omg you have over tightened the trust rod" let me stop you right there. I changed the strings and I made a small adjustment at full tune pitch then let it settle, it was still "dead stright" so I released the neck a little which would have been at most 1/2 turn of the trust rod, again waited for it to settle, I had a straight edge to confirm it was dead straight, then feeler gauages to dial the relief in, its within spec and if anything maybe a litte higher than I prefer but it has a lovely tone now!

I am an motorsport engineer by trade (own my own motorsport business) so I'm competent with working on a guitar and understand how the trust rod works and how wood works so not a dumbass!

The guitar has been perfect for weeks, then i instantly noticed the raised section on the back of the neck and looked with light, was gutted as we know the reason its cracking is due to tention of the trust rod on such a thin neck.

So now I need to prove I haven't done anything wrong and it just happrnrf...

What can I do?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:08 PM

You don't have to prove nothing. You should talk to the music store owner, explain everything about the paint and cracks and see what the big boss have to say. You depend on them, what can you do besides that?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuga666 View Post
You don't have to prove nothing. You should talk to the music store owner, explain everything about the paint and cracks and see what the big boss have to say. You depend on them, what can you do besides that?
Spoke with the store owner (edit: regarding paint issue) and if you've been following my other thread it was old stock so at the old prices so the convo was basically its already £300 cheaper so he said i couod return it (few days after I had it) but a replacment would be full cost, in the end he sent me a few packs of 10' strings because I could live with paint defects for the price.

This however is more than cosmetics :-(

Is this common issue or am I first to experience this.

Presuming that the store should sort this out or very least supply a new neck.

Gutted as thr guitar plays amazing now, dialled it right in perfect
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:42 PM
Vendor

In memory that's the first time anybody has ever had a longitudinal fissure like that in maple. I've had a couple where there was a crack in one of the pieces cross grain that was glued and then used in the neck. There was a piece of bubinga they used in the DNA's that splits like that [and several of them have of course] and they replaced the necks [if caught in time or you knew the right guy].

If you can return it I would definitely take that option. US warranty and UK warranty are very different in that I've heard alot of bad UK stories about anything warranty related.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Well with my luck it will be my problem... so can i buy a new neck and how much?

Will call the store tomorrow as its now 11:45pm here..

Edit: Rich do you think the trust rod could have done this as thats my first thought, buldged the wood out, seems strange how its only just failed over night... the guitar had been set up by the store and it was so low and the neck was dead straight, trust rod was tight when I backed it off, then it felt normal, wondering if they have over torqed it to straigten the neck? Again why fail now when I have allowed some relief.

I know hand on heart I have not done anything wrong.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superclarkey View Post
I am an motorsport engineer by trade (own my own motorsport business) so I'm competent with working on a guitar and understand how the trust rod works and how wood works so not a dumbass!
Okay, but when using this argument with them please be sure to call it a "truss" rod and not a "trust" rod, as I believe the latter would only hurt your claim. Regardless of whether or not it was old stock, you still bought it as new from an authorized dealer. I genuinely hope this works out to your satisfaction.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemboyee View Post
Okay, but when using this argument with them please be sure to call it a "truss" rod and not a "trust" rod, as I believe the latter would only hurt your claim. Regardless of whether or not it was old stock, you still bought it as new from an authorized dealer. I genuinely hope this works out to your satisfaction.
I didn't know how to spell it, I am dyslexic.

I don't expect a good out come with the store, If its not common you know they are going to say... you broke it. (thats what I would think)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:58 PM

I haven't seen much, just one in this thread (pics gone) http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/cr...mb-136232.html
Its not the same type of crack but still a problem.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuga666 View Post
I haven't seen much, just one in this thread (pics gone) http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/cr...mb-136232.html
Its not the same type of crack but still a problem.
That is identical :-(
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:19 PM

If i remember correctly it was more like a hole in a spot than cracks.
Work your patience, take a deep breath and go talk to them and don't beat anyone up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode