RG-7421 Flat Sapphire Blue Finish Concern - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By snaggleyoda
  • 1 Post By oliver_p
  • 1 Post By oliver_p
  • 1 Post By sepulchrave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

RG-7421 Flat Sapphire Blue Finish Concern

Hello,

I just received this today from an online retailer. It's brand new. This is the 7421PBSBF-7 model...or Flat Sapphire Blue. The top is made from poplar burl. It's very attractive, however would you say the texture with the pitting looks normal??? It's hard to find other examples. I didn't want to raise the concern with the seller if this is how it's supposed to look.

This area had the most surface variations....

This area is not so bad....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:35 PM

Poplar burl you say, it does look rather nice, but a burl is diseased timber so it's not surprising that there are abnormalities.
I wouldn't expect it on a Prestige or a J Custom but for what you've paid I suspect you're not going to get better unless you can hand pick one from a wide selection.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Re: RG-7421 Flat Sapphire Blue Finish Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Poplar burl you say, it does look rather nice, but a burl is diseased timber so it's not surprising that there are abnormalities.
I wouldn't expect it on a Prestige or a J Custom but for what you've paid I suspect you're not going to get better unless you can hand pick one from a wide selection.
Good point! Thanks!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:55 PM

That's the nature of poplar burl, or for that matter any wood that has those kind of imperfections. Stains, & finishes with those woods are difficult at best. I have a walnut-burl bass & it has the same issues inconsistency with the finish.
Axe Chemist likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 04:37 AM

Hi,

yes, it's as intended for this veneer and finish.
My RG652MPB and others I've seen have even deeper pits and cracks.

Cheers!
Axe Chemist likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the confirmation guys! I had my first playing experience last night....my ears tend to believe the pickups are a little muddy. I might be swapping out the bridge pup in favor for something with a lot more articulation. But, for what it is, the guitar plays pretty good.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Also, what would you guys recommend to maintain the nice matte "sheen" on the surface? I'm sure a regular guitar spray polish would not be appropriate...but I want to keep the smudges off.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe Chemist View Post
Also, what would you guys recommend to maintain the nice matte "sheen" on the surface? I'm sure a regular guitar spray polish would not be appropriate...but I want to keep the smudges off.
Good question. My RG hasn't gathered any grime yet in the short time I own it. I guess I'll clean it with a damp cloth once a while.
Axe Chemist likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 02:09 PM

I use Windex, cleans, leaves no streaks or residue.
Axe Chemist likes this.

Tags
rg7421

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode