RG 7620 body needs neck - Which neck can I fit and do you recommend - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
RG 7620 body needs neck - Which neck can I fit and do you recommend

I have a Vampire KIss 99 fugiyen rg 7620 body, lo pro edge 7, locking tuners, all the hardware, electronics etc, but I don't want to use my 7421 neck (which is the same I understand without the locking nut of course)

What other necks would fit on a 99 MIJ Vampire Kiss 7620 body ?

Id like a very flat and thin profile and fretboard. So I guesss what Im asking is

Which Ibanez neck with the thinnest D contour, and flat fretboard (20"+ radius?), would I be able to buy and put onto my RG 7620? (locking nut not required)

and if you got one for sale PM me too

THX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 01:51 AM

Re: RG 7620 body needs neck - Which neck can I fit and do you recommend

No Ibanez 7 string neck has a 20" radius.
Also have in mind that the later 1527 necks do not fit the 7620 body. Ibanez changed the neck heel dimensions. It is also my understanding that the 7620 necks are thinner than the later 1527 ones.
My guess is that the only original necks that fit the 7620 are the necks found on 7620 / 7420 models and I believe the 1997-2003 Universe necks as well... not sure about the K-7 neck...
If you don't like any of these the only solution is to order a custom neck from some builder.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 07:40 AM

Smile Re: RG 7620 body needs neck - Which neck can I fit and do you recommend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
Also have in mind that the later 1527 necks do not fit the 7620 body. Ibanez changed the neck heel dimensions. It is also my understanding that the 7620 necks are thinner than the later 1527 ones.
My guess is that the only original necks that fit the 7620 are the necks found on 7620 / 7420 models and I believe the 1997-2003 Universe necks as well... not sure about the K-7 neck...
If you don't like any of these the only solution is to order a custom neck from some builder.
+1

The RG7620s came with two slightly different necks.
The original one is made of one piece of Maple from heal to the first few frets where the headstock is scarfed on.

The other is made of three pieces from heal to he first few frets.
The center pieces is Bubinga wood and the two outer pieces are Maple.
This neck looks and feels a lot like the necks that came on the AANJ RG570s and RG520s.
It's kind of a a Super Wizard 7 neck in my opinion.

You can always make a neck thinner buy sanding it down.
Some of my RG7620 neck that I used on projects needed the outer curve on each side sanded down for my taste.
I feel they are thin enough for me, just the harsh drop off needed a little better transition for me.

Check out my customized RG7620VK-

Click here for a full set of pictures-
http://s878.photobucket.com/user/bit...56726152429582
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Didn't we just have this discussion?

Quote:
Didn't know this, actually. Interesting. The 1527 neck profile is still to this day my favorite I've found on an Ibanez (that you can actually find, anyhow - I think it's identical to the 2027 and CT/CST, but those are difficult to impossible to find), though it's thicker than a 7620 so it won't do the OP any good.

To reiterate Jazzedout's point, I think, from your other thread, the LoPro Edge bridge and locking nut is designed for a 16" radius, so you'll likely have problems there. An OFR7 I think is profiled to 20" at the bridge (closer to 10" at the nut, as I recall - idea being if you have a 24-fret multiradius nut going from 10-16", by the time you get to the bridge the radius would ave flattened to 20), so if you can get a OFR into the trem cavity, a 16-20 nut to bridge would imply about an 18" at the 24th fret, which is a bit closer...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 02:09 PM

The Ibanez Lo Pro 7 and Locking nut are metric; 430mm Radius.

The UV fretboards are 430mm Radius but if I remember correctly the RG7620 fretboards are 400mm Radius; they never matched up exactly but good enough.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
The Ibanez Lo Pro 7 and Locking nut are metric; 430mm Radius.

The UV fretboards are 430mm Radius but if I remember correctly the RG7620 fretboards are 400mm Radius; they never matched up exactly but good enough.
The 7620/1 is 430mm as well.

You were right that the only necks that will fit a 7620 are the original and the SW like RG-7 or a '93-'04 UV. Anything after those years will require the pocket to be widened a little.

FWIW..... the 1527 and my new 752 necks feel almost identical. These neck will work on a 7620 if, as I said, the pocket is widened to fit the neck.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

thx

btw, that axe looks great like that

I was gonna put a prestige wizard7 till I read it was thicker

I think I might go with the 7X21 neck, take it off there and throw on the 7620 (with sperzel locking tuners for the Floyd)

shouldn't be more than $200 for the conversion (including setup, installations, etc.) but, at the same time, after seeing the sharkfin inlays on yours, id love to do that too

anyone know where I can possibly get a matchin 7 string neck like the one above or different inlays?

Quote:
I love the neck, but getting a custom neck done sometimes can be overly disastrous (and expensive IMHO), but if you have a reasonable luthier you can recommend, id appreciate any referral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
+1

The RG7620s came with two slightly different necks.
The original one is made of one piece of Maple from heal to the first few frets where the headstock is scarfed on.

The other is made of three pieces from heal to he first few frets.
The center pieces is Bubinga wood and the two outer pieces are Maple.
This neck looks and feels a lot like the necks that came on the AANJ RG570s and RG520s.
It's kind of a a Super Wizard 7 neck in my opinion.

You can always make a neck thinner buy sanding it down.
Some of my RG7620 neck that I used on projects needed the outer curve on each side sanded down for my taste.
I feel they are thin enough for me, just the harsh drop off needed a little better transition for me.

Check out my customized RG7620VK-

Click here for a full set of pictures-
http://s878.photobucket.com/user/bit...56726152429582
AWESOME, that looks amazing

great tips as well, I think ill pm you if you don't mind to ask a few mre questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Didn't we just have this discussion?

Didn't know this, actually. Interesting. The 1527 neck profile is still to this day my favorite I've found on an Ibanez (that you can actually find, anyhow - I think it's identical to the 2027 and CT/CST, but those are difficult to impossible to find), though it's thicker than a 7620 so it won't do the OP any good.

To reiterate Jazzedout's point, I think, from your other thread, the LoPro Edge bridge and locking nut is designed for a 16" radius, so you'll likely have problems there. An OFR7 I think is profiled to 20" at the bridge (closer to 10" at the nut, as I recall - idea being if you have a 24-fret multiradius nut going from 10-16", by the time you get to the bridge the radius would ave flattened to 20), so if you can get a OFR into the trem cavity, a 16-20 nut to bridge would imply about an 18" at the 24th fret, which is a bit closer...
We kinda talked GENERALLY about the idea, but as you see, there is a lot more info to glean from this as im much more informed on my favorite brand's 7 string inventory/chronology for my edification, as you said, its also quite interestin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
The 7620/1 is 430mm as well.

You were right that the only necks that will fit a 7620 are the original and the SW like RG-7 or a '93-'04 UV. Anything after those years will require the pocket to be widened a little.

FWIW..... the 1527 and my new 752 necks feel almost identical. These neck will work on a 7620 if, as I said, the pocket is widened to fit the neck.
ok cool, strangely, I wanted to buy a 1527 neck but I didn't cuz I wasn't sure it would fit

thx for that info
thanks fellas

Last edited by WYLD STALLYNS; 10-09-2014 at 05:17 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 05:26 PM

Ibanez 7 string necks just keep getting wider at the heal!

The Universe square heal necks have the narrowest heal of them all!
Then the RG7620
Followed by the RG1527
WHAT NEXT!

Feel free to PM me-
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

PM seb

I really love this 7421, and its practically the same as the 7620 ....just a Floyd

**** man, all this nonsense got me thinkin, I am NOT ****in up the 7421, because its as good as it gets for a [entry level ] "excellent" guitar, because you can indeed use it professionally its that good

so ill have to buy a neck or sell the VK body and all the movin parts

tough:::.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode