Rg-7620 Problem - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Rg-7620 Problem

I recently bought a used Rg7620("F" serial, Edge trem) that was well taken care of.

I am however having some confusing trouble.

It seems to focus on the pickups; which are directly mounted to the body and ( I believe) are Dimarizo's put in by the ibanez factory ( correct me if I'm wrong).
It has a 5 way switch for the two humbuckers and I am familier with the various configurations.
The problem seems to lie when useing any dist pedal or Dist channel on my amp(s). Clean, the sound very clear, not to bass or trebal heavy, which is ok.

But pile on some dist, and they are too "plucky" for lack of a better term. Almost too much midrange or like they are being phase switched or tapped. Either in bridge or neck setting this condition exists. The only way around it it to turn the tone knob on the guitar DOWN or OFF, thereby adding what shoud be a lot of bass or using some really odd EQ settings on my amp. This seems to help clear it up, but I'm pretty sure it should not be this way.
I did research the wiring diagram and all seems to be wired correctly.

Also, I tapped the slugs with a allen wrench while plugged in with the 5 way on "bridge "setting. I found that; both coils on the bridge were on AND the bottom coil of the neck was on! BUT , it was not as appearent sounding as the bridge coils. Seeing that the wiring is all in place( I compared it four times over 2 days) I have no idea why this guitar acts so strangly.
It's very hard to get a good dist sound ( or at least the sound I want) out of this guitar in this condition so if anybody has any suggestions, I would appreciate.
I belive the sound i am looking for is attainable with these stock equipmnet.

sorry for the long-winded-ness..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 11:37 PM

Hmm. The only thing I would suggest is that something is wrong somewhere along the line and if you're confident with a soldering iron and wiring diagram, get the diagram off the Ibanez website and rewire it from scratch. It's not that difficult if you have a steady hand.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 08:31 PM

Check to see if the 5-way has been replaced with a non-original switch, and thereby, incorrectly wired (even if it /looks/ correctly wired).
The terminal assignments and internal normalling of the 5-way in an RG7x20 (and similar instruments with two humbuckers) are not 'normal' as compared to an average switch; it's a 'Megaswitch'-like device which creates coil configurations not possible with an ordinary 5-way.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 09:08 PM

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Something is definatly up.. I'm gonna look into replace ment pickups anyways and have it rewired for me.. I guess I have no other choice..

Tags
allen wrench , edge trem , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode