RG 7620 trem-spring advice needed/also string gauge idea - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

RG 7620 trem-spring advice needed/also string gauge idea

All five are in now and it's way too stiff. What's the average number of spings on a lo pro edge7? I use three on my 6 string guitars but I have a feeling it might be not enough if i tried it on the 7620

Also, anybody ever use a light gauge bass string for the low B? I tune standard and use .10's but the low B is a little flappy. I though of using a bass string there for a bit more rumble...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 05:25 PM

With a 9-42 pls your b string of choice, three definaely works. 10's, you'll probably need at least 4.

Have yout ried heavier guitar strings for your B? standard for 10's is about 54-56 or so, and you can go all te way up to 70 or so if you buy strings individualy.

-D
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 10:18 PM

I myself am having another look at string guages, and let me tell you, a .60 is not heavy enough. Especially with a 10-54 set (a 60 is way too close to a 54 in my opinion). I'm on a mission to find the heaviest guitar string (non-bass preferably) in London, Ontario
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 11:41 PM

juststrings.com, Two hands. Simple, and LOTS o' strings.

Get an Elixir .068. Man, best 7'th string made, IM HUMBLE O.

BTW Twohands, I remeber reading on a thread you had scratchy pots. Radio Shack, Contact/Control Cleaner & Lubricant, just shy of 10 bucks US.

My 2027 had a scratchy volume pot, and a scratchy pickup selector switch. Couple of sprays of that stuff, viola! No more scratchy pots.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
10's, you'll probably need at least 4.
i run 10s on several of my 7-strings with only three springs, and i haven't had any problems. one of the LACS 7s that i bought used was set up with something even heavier, 11s or maybe 12s. it still only had 3 springs, but the spring claw was screwed all the way up to the wood.

so at least try it with three before you chuck another one in there. it seems to me that running the outer springs in a V-shape rather than three parallel lines would give you more pull, since those outer stprings would be stretched over a longer distance, so you could try that too. if your springs are really old and stretched out, new ones might help, but you'll need to stretch new ones kinda like new strings before they'll be completely stable.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 02:22 PM

really? I had to go up to four to get mine to balance flat when i switched to 10's... I guess there's a few different "lengths" of springs out there, maybe it has something to do with that.

anyway, I'm not overly worried- the spring lock down thing looks cool and all,b ut I've never even heard of someone managing to detach a spring while playing without it, much less done it myself.

-D
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of Actual Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
10's, you'll probably need at least 4.
i run 10s on several of my 7-strings with only three springs, and i haven't had any problems. one of the LACS 7s that i bought used was set up with something even heavier, 11s or maybe 12s. it still only had 3 springs, but the spring claw was screwed all the way up to the wood.

so at least try it with three before you chuck another one in there. it seems to me that running the outer springs in a V-shape rather than three parallel lines would give you more pull, since those outer stprings would be stretched over a longer distance, so you could try that too. if your springs are really old and stretched out, new ones might help, but you'll need to stretch new ones kinda like new strings before they'll be completely stable.
i found that all five that were in are real havy gauge springs and practaclly brand new ( this guitar is used). I did it with three, in a v shape and the claw is about a 1/8th of an inch away from bottoming out! The trem action is better, but still way to stiff to do smooth dives and such. Is this the best it will get on a 7 string?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 11:02 PM

Try them straight, it's supposed to be the most tension you can get from the spring configuration- I;m too drunk to do the math, but i guess any extra tension you get from the longer angle is compensated by the fact you're only getting the horizontal componant of that tension... actually, mathematically, they have to be even, dont they?

Anyway, the claw 1/8" away from bottoming out, but still set for an even float, is still a claw set for an even float. it's cool, it's not like the guitar cares how far you screw it in, it's not going anywhere.

-D

Tags
pickup selector switch , pro edge , string guage , string guages , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode