RG 7621 = Dimarzio: Blaze? New7/Custom7? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 88
Reviews: 3
RG 7621 = Dimarzio: Blaze? New7/Custom7?

Hi Guys,

Welcome to my first post I am sorry if it is a little long winded for a forum noob.

Finally, I have purchased a 7string.
After years of moving away from ibanez into modding strats etc I decided a few months back to keep a look out for a decent 7 (fixed bridge).

After doing the reasearch I decided to search for a 7621 for the following reasons, please set me straight if I got this wrong, as I dont like having the incorrect information.

1: The 98/99 7621's were made in Japan to a higher standard than later incarnations.

2: 98/99 Were good years for the Iban 'standard' 7's because this was the defining moment when Ibanez aimed the cost effective 7 string at a broader audience following the much publicised use of 7strings in Hard Rock/Metal Genres

3: (the one that got me) they came stock with a pair of great sounding dimarzio's that easily surpassed the Ibanez replacments that were installed in later models.

4: Peer pressure insists that MIJ is cooler that MIK or MII (jokes)

So anyway, I purchased one (a 99), and it will be arriving in the next week or so. Yay! I am looking forward to getting back to Ibanez after a long Hiatus.

But back to the Dimarzios. The 99 Ibanez catalogue states that these come with Blaze's. The (taken with a grain of salt) Harmony central reviews have people that seem to think that these are Blaze II's which brings me back to this site which seems so informative (and has some good digs at Ed Roman),States that these are New7's later named Custom7's. I saw on the site here, someone saying that they are like a blaze but more hot?

They certainly look like Blaze's.

sweet, If you are happy to tell me about these pickups and the tonal possibilitie and qualities of them, that would be great. I play jazz (clean)and
have been using EMG85's to IMO great effect, So I am considering the 707 as this apparantly has tonal qualities close to the 85. But.... I can't really be assed routing the body to a shape that may not end up being standard then wanting to switch back and not have many options.

Anyway, I apologise for the long post, I have been a visitor here an many occasions and wouldn't have bothered joining if I hadn't heard / seen a great knowledge base from you all.

Much thanks.

Ki
kigorri is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 07:53 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,398
Re: RG 7621 = Dimarzio: Blaze? New7/Custom7?

If you want EMGs without the routing, go for SD Blackouts
dannymills is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 08:30 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 675
Re: RG 7621 = Dimarzio: Blaze? New7/Custom7?

Congrat Ki on the new purchase! Enjoy it.....don't slaughter it.....
TMatt142 is offline  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Moderator
 
jim777's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 9,689
Re: RG 7621 = Dimarzio: Blaze? New7/Custom7?

Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigorri View Post
Hi Guys,

Welcome to my first post I am sorry if it is a little long winded for a forum noob.

Finally, I have purchased a 7string.
After years of moving away from ibanez into modding strats etc I decided a few months back to keep a look out for a decent 7 (fixed bridge).

After doing the reasearch I decided to search for a 7621 for the following reasons, please set me straight if I got this wrong, as I dont like having the incorrect information.

1: The 98/99 7621's were made in Japan to a higher standard than later incarnations.
Nope, just talk. The only difference is that the later models have a skunk stripe in the neck, so there may be personal preference involved, but they are the same guitar.
Quote:
2: 98/99 Were good years for the Iban 'standard' 7's because this was the defining moment when Ibanez aimed the cost effective 7 string at a broader audience following the much publicised use of 7strings in Hard Rock/Metal Genres
To believe this you need to believe there was something special about the 98/99's, and that just isn't true.

Quote:
3: (the one that got me) they came stock with a pair of great sounding dimarzio's that easily surpassed the Ibanez replacments that were installed in later models.
This one will never die. Likely due to some legal maneuvers around naming the pickups and rights and such, there are no Blaze II pickups and the RG7 series never got the DiMarzio Blazes either. The catalog is simply incorrect. The RG7-620/1 got DiMarzio "New 7" pickups, originally refered to as "Custom 7"s. The RG7-420/1 series got Ibanez made pickups. Lots of folks like the New 7s, but like any pickup in the world, not everyone likes them so they get replaced. Try them; if you like them keep them if not there are lots of options these days.

Quote:
4: Peer pressure insists that MIJ is cooler that MIK or MII (jokes)
Korean guitars are definitely getting better, no question, but most of us prefer Japanese guitars. The spirit of Tamura and Sugihara lives on!

Quote:
So anyway, I purchased one (a 99), and it will be arriving in the next week or so. Yay! I am looking forward to getting back to Ibanez after a long Hiatus.

But back to the Dimarzios. The 99 Ibanez catalogue states that these come with Blaze's. The (taken with a grain of salt) Harmony central reviews have people that seem to think that these are Blaze II's which brings me back to this site which seems so informative (and has some good digs at Ed Roman),States that these are New7's later named Custom7's. I saw on the site here, someone saying that they are like a blaze but more hot?

They certainly look like Blaze's.

sweet, If you are happy to tell me about these pickups and the tonal possibilitie and qualities of them, that would be great. I play jazz (clean)and
have been using EMG85's to IMO great effect, So I am considering the 707 as this apparantly has tonal qualities close to the 85. But.... I can't really be assed routing the body to a shape that may not end up being standard then wanting to switch back and not have many options.

Anyway, I apologise for the long post, I have been a visitor here an many occasions and wouldn't have bothered joining if I hadn't heard / seen a great knowledge base from you all.

Much thanks.

Ki
I think you'd do better with a PAF7 or a Blaze7 in the neck for clean jazz playing, but wait until you get the guitar and see for yourself. The Blaze neck pickup is an outstanding pickup though, very musical and versatile.

jim
jim777 is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 09:29 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: LR, AR
Posts: 1,982
Re: RG 7621 = Dimarzio: Blaze? New7/Custom7?

welcome to jemsite. everyne has pretty muc already summed it up. as far as the pickups, don't hurt that guitar by routing it for the emg's. the rg7620 and definitely the rg7621, are becoming rarer animals. i almost feel guilty because i have modded both of mine, but not to the point of removing wood. if you must go active, get the blackouts. i recomend if you really want that active tone, the d-activators will do you fine. for me for the pumped up more agressive tone, but with a smoother neck tone, i find it hard to beat the air norton-7 with the blaze custom. with the special switching, you will find some of the best clean sounds. something you WON'T get with emgs. the d-activators with the special switching would be VERY interesting for the clean sounds. just let us know what you do.

rich
rty13ibz98 is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 88
Reviews: 3
Re: RG 7621 = Dimarzio: Blaze? New7/Custom7?

Awesome, You guys rock, thanks for the feedback
kigorri is offline  
Reply

Tags
air norton , blaze neck , dimarzio blaze , fixed bridge , ibanez catalog , korean guitar , neck pickup

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Ibanez RG 7621 needs ideas...! [email protected] Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 1 02-19-2008 11:57 PM
FS: 2 Dimarzio Blaze pickups, 7 String bluealien Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 09-11-2007 11:59 PM
rg 7321 or 7621 psycho All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 2 01-19-2007 03:06 PM
FT: White Dimarzio Blaze (bridge) 7 Dying Trees Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 10-01-2006 01:11 AM
DiMarzio Blaze Neck or Seymour Duncan Jazz 7... Drache713 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 3 10-11-2002 02:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome