RG 770 question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

RG 770 question

Did the 1991 RG770 come with a 5 way switch or a 3 way? Mine has a 3 way and that doesn't seem right.
Also, mine has an aftermarket single coil which I'm taking out.
Would you recommend going with the stock C3 from dimarzio (special order at $69.99)
or would you go with a dimarzio evolution single ($50)
or a true velvet?

I narrowed it down to these three as I can get them in blue, the color of the neck and bridge stock F2 and F4 pickups.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 07:48 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: RG 770 question

5 way...d.m.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 12:07 AM

Yeah they have a 5 way, and I would go for the C3 honestly! One to keep it original, but also because I think it's a well balanced single coil... I never really use them but out of all the single coils I've used I think it has the nicest sound because it can get pretty gritty, but sill do those fender like cleans imo...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 06:13 PM

The bare knucle Irish tour is sweet!
Less compressed than an Evo and more articulate, especially for harmonics.
It's also quite hot and will not drop too much volume in comparison to the humbuckers.
Pairs nicely with split coils (usually position 2 & 4 on a 5 way)
Evos are cool but they are evos to the core (to me) and that limits them.

Alternatively a cheaper option is an area67.
Like the Irish tour but less hot and loud. A real sweetness to the tone but can shred to hell easily.
If it's good enough for Paul Gilbert it's good enough for me!
(the Paul Gilbert pups really grew on me)

T
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all.
Yep, I do have a Area 67 (with diamrzio FS-1 and Virtual Solo) in my Strat and I do like that pickup.
Think I'll go with the C3 just to make the guitar stock.
Last thought would be, ...Man, these stock F2 and F4 are some sweet sounding pickups.
Best
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 11:29 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJazz View Post
Thanks all.
Yep, I do have a Area 67 (with diamrzio FS-1 and Virtual Solo) in my Strat and I do like that pickup.
Think I'll go with the C3 just to make the guitar stock.
Last thought would be, ...Man, these stock F2 and F4 are some sweet sounding pickups.
Best
LOL- yet one more convert to the church of the F-series....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
LOL- yet one more convert to the church of the F-series....
The F4 is my favorite neck pup EVER. I converted after using one in my 550 for a long time. Went as far as to order one through dimarzio new.

Also, when I played a 540S last weekend, the F1 was also REALLY nice in the neck. Doesn't beat F4 though
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 11:54 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
The F4 is my favorite neck pup EVER. I converted after using one in my 550 for a long time. Went as far as to order one through dimarzio new.

Also, when I played a 540S last weekend, the F1 was also REALLY nice in the neck. Doesn't beat F4 though
I'm actually a bigger fan of the F2 than the F4, but there's no doubt that they're all great.

It's funny, doing a web search for F2's will bring you to all kinds of forum posts on other sites. It seems the F-series pups have a bit of a "mystique" about them. There are a lot of people playing other brands that are finding out about and searching for F-series pups.....LOL. I guess our dirty little secret is out.....LOL
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I'm actually a bigger fan of the F2 than the F4, but there's no doubt that they're all great.

It's funny, doing a web search for F2's will bring you to all kinds of forum posts on other sites. It seems the F-series pups have a bit of a "mystique" about them. There are a lot of people playing other brands that are finding out about and searching for F-series pups.....LOL. I guess our dirty little secret is out.....LOL
No matter which F series pup it is, we are all members of the Clan of F

I was hoping our secret wouldn't get out, but it's funny that the used prices may go up on em because of that and the rest of us will just order direct from dimarzio brand new ones because most people won't know that they can do that as well
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Short story.

Thank you, Ibanez.

Last edited by JimmyJazz; 11-03-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode