RG-8527 or 2027 as a player? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

RG-8527 or 2027 as a player?

Ok, ok... I know strictly for collectibility's sake, the 8527 is the clear winner, if you were to import a high-end VV-finished 7 from Japan, but i'm definately NOT a collector, and i'm looking for a good 7-string to replace my RG7-620 as my primary "player" guitar. I'm leaning towards the 2027 for the peizo, but there's a case to be made for either.

Obviously, it's going to take a bit of abuse, so my real question is this: would you guys lose more sleep knowing i was gradually destroying a 2027, or a 8527?

-Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 04:47 PM

I have a 2027 and it is a fabulous guitar. It replaced my UV777BK as my main axe. The 2027 may be discontinued in Japan as well, and there is a thread that discusses this somewhere. The 8527 is just drop dead gorgeous. It really depends on how much you want or need the piezo. I am a firm believer that you can keep a guitar looking basically new forever, if you are very careful and deliberate in its care and placement at gigs, the studio or where ever. Guitars are made to be played, period. If you like the piezo, grab a 2027. And by the way, you are gonna love the mahogany....tone man, tone for days.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 10:52 AM

I own both a RG7CTVV and a RG2027XVV.

Both play equally well and are both equally awesome guitars. I happen to really love the piezo Double Edge system as it affords you a whole new dimension of tones and possibilities. The RG7CTVV on the other hand, with it's maple top is truely a beautiful instrument. The necks on the two guitars have a very similar feel. Only cosmetic difference neck-wise is the inlays, and also the 7CT has the bubinga stripe and ebony top on the headstock while the 2027 is three piece maple with no bubinga stripe and a painted black headstock.

Both are awesome guitars but if I had to pick just one - especially as a player guitar and not a collection addition, it would be the 2027 for the piezo tone.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks guys, you've been very helpful. Lately my more practical side has been kicking in, and i've been leaning towards the 2027 as well. Looks like my mind's made up, then... Eh, someday when i get out of college and find a "real" job, maybe then i can start collecting J-customs... Oh god this place is a bad influence.

-Drew
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 11:11 AM

Reviews: 3
I second Gresh on this one, look at Eric Johnson's main guitar. It's a '54 sunburst strat. It looks great, like its been babied its whole life and let's face it...Eric Johnson is PICKY about everything, so I doubt he neglects anything. I'd say it really depends on what you're going to do with it...if you know beforehand that it'll probably get dropped and generally just battered as a working ax...get another 7620. 7620's may not be UV's or J-customs but they sure as hell are nice guitars. If it's your baby you're after, and want something that you plan on holding onto for awhile...get the j custom. OR, get a UV777bk...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Well, it's decided. Going with the 2027. Ought to be one hell of an axe.

-Drew
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 06:23 PM

Good choice. Can't wait till you get it so I can come take it, I mean play it.

hehe, congrats man
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Sure dude, right after you buy me, er, um, buy yourself one of those RGT's...

-Drew

Tags
black headstock , eric johnson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode