Which RG? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Ape

Which RG?

Hi first of all, I thought this would be the best place to come to ask this question so here goes lol, I mainly play bass but I mess about on guitar (I'm certainly no Vai) and I've currently got a german jackson/ibanez style guitar made by a company called Vester. I didn't like the original cheap double locking trem so put a floyd 2 on it. But I've alyways liked the idea of having a ibanez especially with the edge trem it seems so much softer than the floyd 2 so here is my question I'm thinking of buying a second hand ibanez more than likely an RG and would have about 400 to spend on one at the most, what model would you guys suggest?. I love the 550's but am probably not going to afford one so wondering what the other RG models are like and the difference. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 11:03 AM

Re: Which RG?

Well RG550 is the lowest/cheapest model out there with the original edge tremolo. The cheaper models made in korea and indonesia have inferior tremolos that wear out faster (Edge III, TRS, etc).

You can get a perfectly playable nice RG550 for 400 for sure if you just look hard enough. Hey, someone might even sell you one right here on jemsite.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 PM

I just picked up a '89 570 for about $300.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Ape

Nice I guess its a case of keeping an eye out when I get the cash then lol
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Just keep an eye on the classifieds here and I have no doubt you will find one I see them being sold all the time
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 06:39 PM

Reviews: 12

570, 1570's are a good bet second hand, realistically you should be able to get a 550 for & 400 if you keep your eye out, i got my 3120tw prestige for 500 alternitively buy a 350dx there is absolutley nothing wrong with them! Go try one, they stink of 80's 550's!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretboardpyro View Post
570, 1570's are a good bet second hand, realistically you should be able to get a 550 for & 400 if you keep your eye out, i got my 3120tw prestige for 500 alternitively buy a 350dx there is absolutley nothing wrong with them! Go try one, they stink of 80's 550's!
Is the 350dx anewer alternative, I'll go take a look in a sec, too be honest I may not even need something as well as a 550 seeing as I'm a bass player and only kind of mess around on guitar as long as it stays in tune, after a bit more research its the 770 I prefer the look of anyway as I liek the maple board and shark tooth inlays
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 03:06 PM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape View Post
Is the 350dx anewer alternative, I'll go take a look in a sec, too be honest I may not even need something as well as a 550 seeing as I'm a bass player and only kind of mess around on guitar as long as it stays in tune, after a bit more research its the 770 I prefer the look of anyway as I liek the maple board and shark tooth inlays
The 350dx is essentially an indo made 1550 with marginally less expensive hardware and is a pretty good axe ripe for the upgrading as most guitars in that price range are, it will stay in tune. The 770 is a sweet axe but getting a little on the scarce side, be prepared to pay a premium on one as you'll be fighting off the rampaging hoardes for it!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 05:31 PM

yeah i was hunting a 770 for awhile, but i lucked out and found a 570 EX (or DX?). Only downside is no IBZUSA pickups. Still got that sharktooth, etc.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboar View Post
yeah i was hunting a 770 for awhile, but i lucked out and found a 570 EX (or DX?). Only downside is no IBZUSA pickups. Still got that sharktooth, etc.
Ah I'm not so bothered about the pickups anyway to be honest as I'd just replace them with Dimarzio's eventually, I did consider just building one then I can use what wood I like and colour etc its just the price of the edge trems on their own is scary
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM

Yeah i really want to get an old Wizard neck and have someone cut me an RG body out of mahogany.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Ape

Quote:
Yeah i really want to get an old Wizard neck and have someone cut me an RG body out of mahogany.
Might have a look to see how much I get a edge trem for then lol and go down that route
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 08:43 AM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
See if you can track down an RG520QS (2000-ish). Wizard neck and mahogany body (with a quilted sapele top).
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE View Post
See if you can track down an RG520QS (2000-ish). Wizard neck and mahogany body (with a quilted sapele top).
I actually have a RGT42DXFM, which is Indonesian...but mahogany, and neck thru. I gutted it and replaced all the hardware, and it turned out to be quite a solid axe (so heavy!). However with my wizard 1 comment, that RG520 is a beautiful guitar, I'm just extremely partial to the old square heel.

As far as an EDGE goes, I know you can get one in great condition for under $150. Considering an OFR cost more than that new, I think its a worthwhile deal.

Tags
which rg buy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

html tab symbol
swap html js
tab symbol html
E-CY-165CTM.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode