RG-ART - got a contact point for one - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

RG-ART - got a contact point for one

I emailed someone about their prices on the ART and GEAR a billion years ago. *That was an old email adress they dont check. *They just got back to me with prices. *They were 1499 and 2399 respectively.
I didnt think a J-Custom would be that affordable (relatively). *Should I sell some equipment to buy the ART?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 08:22 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
RG-ART

I would not.

Since you asked, here is MY opinion. There is little to NO demand for these J-Customs in the real market. If there was, the stuff would probably be long sold. Now, if you want to sell your gear for these models that is your choice, but i'd wager long-term disappointment given the low bang for the buck ratio of these two models.

For example, you could buy THREE Ibanez UCEWs for the price of that GEAR. You won't look like a flake playing these in public either

Does anyone think you can buy these and resell on eBay for profit? Not me... Kevan already has them and HIS is for sale too! eBay resale is the litmus test for a "steal" in my book. If noone wants them now, probably noone will later.

So if you can readily afford these, and can't live without them, then splurge. If this was the case I don't think you'd ask advice here... i know i would not. Otherwise keep the money in your pocket for stuff you really want. Sometimes WANTING is more exciting than HAVING... glen
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

RG-ART

Very wise words. *I will take them to heart. *Thanx for not letting me waste my time.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 09:01 PM

RG-ART

I've played the ART before...extensively. The main gripe I have with this guitar is the fretboard. The maple is finished with an irritating gloss finish. The gloss is actually pretty damn thick, which makes it feel like your playing the strings on polyurethane or something. I really like the top though...jee who doesn't!

But at the end of the day, I asked myself, how much difference is it going to make from my already very mighty guitars. Has it got something new? Can it do something else?

Right now, I'm pretty much over gas and have been quite contented. But I still want a Yamaha FGM! LOL!

The ART's a nice guitar, a nice guitar to own. It's extremely desirably but I just don't see many people willing to drop the cash for such an instrument as this. Glen's right though.

Chris.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 10:06 PM

RG-ART

I'm a flake? *Hmmm...

Once again, I'll COMPLETELY disagree with Glen here. *The quality put into the J-Customs far exceeds the USAC line(s).

I would HIGHLY recommend the RG-ART for under $2K....and the GEAR for under $2.5K.

Remember- Glen's insane. *:biggrin:

The only reason I'm selling the RG-GEAR is to finish the financing on my new truck. *If I had my way, I'd keep the GEAR and sell the JEM10.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 10:13 PM
site founder 0% owner

RG-ART

Quote:
The quality put into the J-Customs far exceeds the USAC line(s).
Asthetics aside (looks are subjective) please elaborate :biggrin:
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 10:19 PM

RG-ART

•Quality of the wood (neck AND top).
•Quality of the hand-finishing: *fretwork, inlays, clear (pick a spec)
•Quality in the finish (half-naked strippers can be found on HALF the USAC models....nice...very classy...now who's the flake?). *The top on the ART can't touch the one on the UCEW's....thickness, A-count, etc.

There's a reason I play my CST and ART more than my other guitars. *Actually, there are MANY reasons. *I'll take quality over quantity any day.

Do I have to bring the ART and CST and GEAR and ARCH over....again? *:biggrin: *If you want to A-B them, just call.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 10:32 PM
site founder 0% owner

RG-ART

Ahem... i said UCEW. USA CUSTOM EXOTIC WOOD.

•Quality of the wood (neck AND top)

Subjective. Curly wood doesn't make better tone or stability. Personally i believe the older woods are better. Wider availability (pre-greenpeace) and probably dried/cured longer. But since you went there, clear advantage UCEW.

•Quality of the hand-finishing: *fretwork, inlays, clear (pick a spec)

Gimme a break please.

•Quality in the finish

I said UCEW. You're mixing up the RG700s painted with gaudy graphics (USACs). But even the USACs have (american-made) hand paintings which are works of art (donnie's anyone) vs machine-made "art-deco" type finishes.

•The top on the ART can't touch the one on the UCEW's....thickness, A-count, etc.

of course it cannot. Advantage UCEW. see above :biggrin:

How much play time you have on UCEWs?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 10:53 PM

RG-ART

Oops....
Rephrase: *"The top on the UCEW can't touch the top on the ART". *(heat of the moment; NOT a Freudian Slip!)

I've played several USAC's. *
Kirk's "abstract reality" one, a couple of the PBC's, and a UCEW at a local store. *Nice guitars, top quality, but not compared to the variety available in the J-Custom line. *It just plain doesn't get any better than "J-Custom".

Tell ya what: *you pass on all the J-Customs for super-cheap, and I'll pass on all the UCEW/USAC's for super-cheap. *Deal? *:biggrin:

Bring over your UCEW and watch the Av's drink from the Cup. *At least you'll have a "friend" here. *
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 11:04 PM
site founder 0% owner

RG-ART

LOL. Deal. I won't be buying any arts/gears/arches/etc so pass on the Durango and STOCKPILE them now... muhahaha.

You're still confused about the tops though ...glen
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 11:24 PM

Reviews: 3
RG-ART

I've said it before and I'll say it again. *Ibanez is a low-mid grade company. *Why all the hoopla? *Some are obviously better than others... but do you want to pay $2500 for a medium grade guitar that currently has little or no collector value?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 10:24 AM

RG-ART

How much did you pay for your DNA Jay? *The value really depends on how bad people want them. *Like the Ibanez JPM P4 couldn't sell for 1000$ new when it was out but now people are selling them for $1800.

Anyways, from the pictures I have to say that I think the ART kicks ass, I would love to have one someday. *I could live without the GEAR though, in fact someone would have to point a gun to my head to get me to buy it.

Just out of curiousity, who makes high quality guitars in your opinion?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 12:49 PM

Reviews: 3
RG-ART

Some of these area okay...

Tom Anderson
Bass Labs
Conklin Custom Shop
Vigier
Larrivee
Warmoth (more for the do-it-yourselfer though)
PRS (unfortunately, you have to go back several years for the real good stuff)
Warrior
Terry McInturff

Like I said, the J-Customs currently have little or no collector value. *If you think they will someday soon, then stockpile them and laugh at me when you sell them at a huge profit. *:biggrin:
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 10:37 PM

RG-ART

I agree on the collector value. *The kind of people who would be willing to shell out insane $$ for guitars need to know what it is to justify the price. * If I had never gone to this site then I would have no idea what a J-Custom was since they are not sold in the US.

I am looking forward to my EBMM JPM coming in since it was made to my specifications, probably with a lot more care than my Ibanez guitars. *But then again, maybe I won't be able to tell if there is anything different.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 04:10 PM

RG-ART

Quote:
Quote: from Kevan on 9:06 pm on Mar. 30, 2001

The only reason I'm selling the RG-GEAR is to finish the financing on my new truck. *If I had my way, I'd keep the GEAR and sell the JEM10.
Ok I don't get it? You have to like have a Jem10 to keep moderator status or something do ya Kev :biggrin:

Tags
custom exotic wood , custom jem , custom shop , ebmm jpm , ibanez guitars , ibanez jpm , usa custom exotic wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode