Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  nickcoumbe 
#1 ·
Hi all, a long-time reader posting for the first time. I'm thinking of buying an Ibanez RG, but I'm not sure which model I should go for.

Based on what I've read around here, RG550's are great bang for the buck. The original Edge is apparently considered to be the best Ibanez bridge. The thing is, I have played hardtails and strat-type trems all my life, so I don't really have any personal experience in floating trems. That makes me wary of buying an up to 16-year-old guitar which, I imagine, could have a trem with all kinds of defects by now.

Another option is the RG1550. The bridge is an Edge Pro, which is considered good, but not as good as the original Edge (no locking studs anymore). These are newer than 550s and have less risk of having harmful amount of wear 'n tear, especially on the bridge. They also have the all-access neck joint, which I like a lot.

And the last option is biting the bullet and buying either a RG1570 or RG2550 new. The trem would be intact and the store would probably throw in a free setup. It'd be more expensive than buying used, but at least I'd have a smaller chance of getting a bad guitar. I'd really like a maple fretboard though, a feature these two models don't have.

Here in Scandinavia there's a high demand for older RGs, so the prices aren't as low as in U.S. eB_y. Also they pop up a lot less often.

In a nutshell, what I'm wondering is
-Should I look for Edge, or is Edge Pro enough?
-Is there a big risk that the older RGs' trems are beaten up to the edge (sic) of replacing?
-Is the old RG550 contoured heel a lot clumsier than the new AANJ?

Probably a boring topic for most RG gurus, but tips and pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
The Edge Pro is a fine bridge. The problems that arise are usually due to the lack of locking studs, yet I have met a lot of people that haven't complained since. Make sure you inspect everything on a guitar before you buy it, especially the bridge. As for the neck joint issue, yes, the AANJ has a better feel when you're using the upper register of the neck. But you'll get used to the old scarf joint in time (for what it's worth, the JS series don't have the AANJ). The best way is to try out the guitars that you're interested in for yourself. That way you can decide much better.

#4 ·
i have a 570 that doesn't have the aanj, plays fine. I have bigger hands though so reaching around isn't as for me as others.

a good indicator of the bridge's condition is how much wear it has on the top. If it has a bunch of pitting you can assume that the guitar was played a lot and the chances are higher that the tremelo was used more.

Also what i have found with the older model rg guitas is the necks and frets are a concern. Alway be sure to ask about neck and fret condition even if it is stated in the auction get as much info on the neck and fret condition as possible.

an rg1570 used on the bay wouldn't be too bad, i have seen them go on E-bay U.S. for around 325 to 350 , not much more then a used 550 or the older 570.

#5 ·
deadlock78 said:
Hi all, a long-time reader posting for the first time. I'm thinking of buying an Ibanez RG, but I'm not sure which model I should go for.

Based on what I've read around here, RG550's are great bang for the buck. The original Edge is apparently considered to be the best Ibanez bridge. The thing is, I have played hardtails and strat-type trems all my life, so I don't really have any personal experience in floating trems. That makes me wary of buying an up to 16-year-old guitar which, I imagine, could have a trem with all kinds of defects by now.

Another option is the RG1550. The bridge is an Edge Pro, which is considered good, but not as good as the original Edge (no locking studs anymore). These are newer than 550s and have less risk of having harmful amount of wear 'n tear, especially on the bridge. They also have the all-access neck joint, which I like a lot.

And the last option is biting the bullet and buying either a RG1570 or RG2550 new. The trem would be intact and the store would probably throw in a free setup. It'd be more expensive than buying used, but at least I'd have a smaller chance of getting a bad guitar. I'd really like a maple fretboard though, a feature these two models don't have.

Here in Scandinavia there's a high demand for older RGs, so the prices aren't as low as in U.S. eB_y. Also they pop up a lot less often.

In a nutshell, what I'm wondering is
-Should I look for Edge, or is Edge Pro enough?
-Is there a big risk that the older RGs' trems are beaten up to the edge (sic) of replacing?
-Is the old RG550 contoured heel a lot clumsier than the new AANJ?

Probably a boring topic for most RG gurus, but tips and pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Read Rich's tech section Ibanez Rules (banner above) ;).

Regards

André

#15 ·
Thanks for the replies people. I guess I'll try to find one of the last 550s made, that way I'd get Edge, maple fretboard and AANJ. Might as well go for the best/favorite combination, since I probably wouldn't part with the guitar anytime soon...

The info at Rich's tech section made me a bit more confident that I can spot at least some of the potential problems the bridge might have. Having never owned a FR-type guitar I guess picking one up used and possibly unseen is a bit of a dice roll, but hopefully it works out OK.

#17 ·
I bought an 88 jem last year with edge and old heel joint. Obviously I would prefer an aanj, but it is not a major problem. As long as the trem has been looked after, then there is no reason why you shouldn't be fine with an older example. I would probably favour something with an aanj and the original edge, but if you have access to a cheaper older version in good condition, then why not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.