RG-GOLD - Shinny glittering gold - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

RG-GOLD - Shinny glittering gold

Guess what? *I just got myself one of these in Hong Kong.
It's got an F99xxxx serial number, so it's not a new model. *The whole body is basically covered with real gold foil (tremendously tedious job I must say) with lacaquer finish. *It has a nice, dark Ebony board, 2 abalone dot inlays at 12th a la 90HAM models; painted Gold headstock but no J-custom lettering, just the logo. *Nicely matched with gold hardware this is a very unique guitar.

Pick ups are H-S-H Dimarzios. *The sales guy had no idea what they are. *It sounds like an Air Norton on neck, a vintage single coil and no idea about the neck humbucker. *The neck is 3 pc. all maple straight through the headstock. *It feels like a Wizzard and not JC neck.

The sound is just simply sweet. *It has a firm, warm tone. *I can't wait to try it when I bring it home. *I was testing this axe with a Fender twin reverb and playing clean most of the time. *I must say it is the best clean sounding solid body I've played recently. *The guitar needs a good set-up job 'cause the action was so high. *But still it's very playable so I could imagine how it feels when it's set up right. *I don't rely on the store to get this right, because the Sales guy knew virtually nothing about Ibanez.

It's love-at-first-sight (since the price is right). *The model on the price tag says something like RG-GOLD1 but I've never heard of this being part of the J-Custom history. *Of course, the sales guy was not much help, all he said is Ibanez Japan from time to time ships few "unique" models as market-testers. *Once they're gone, they are gone.

Do you guys have any info on this? *Is this a J-custom? *Any info would help?

J-custom or not this is a hell of a guitar. *I'll post some pics when I get back to the US later, but I may bring this to Orlando.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 04:03 AM

RG-GOLD

Well, CRAP, you sure scored! Got any pics?

Kevan can probly provide with some info about it.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 12:50 PM

RG-GOLD

David- CONGRATS! *Sounds like a sweet ride. *Did the RG-ART and RG-ARCH at Jemfest have a little influence on ya? *:-)

The pickup combination is probably Tone Zone/Blue Velvet/Air Norton. *That seems to be the "standard" setup on the J-Customs. *I, too, like the Blue Velvet. *Very "vintage-y" without sounding like the treble is on 11.

There are over 60 models of the J-Customs. *I don't have pics or specs on all of them, but rest assured- they are top-of-the-line guitars. *Even the guys at Vigier go, "Mai Oui! *Fine stringed instruments indeed!".
:biggrin:

Some pics would be great and bringing it to Jemfest would be very cool! *
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 02:56 PM

Reviews: 3
RG-GOLD

David - ROCK!!! *That thing sounds way sweet! *Is it really a back breaker or does the gold not add too much to the weight?

BRING IT TO JEMFEST!!!

Oh, and Kevan - that is "Mais oui!" *You just said 'May yes' (as in the month). *
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

RG-GOLD

I wish I can post some pics right away. *Unfortunately, I still have several stops on this trip, so I left the guitar with my sister in Hong Kong, but I'll pick it up next time. *I will bring it to Jemfest

Gold foil decoration is nothing new to the Japanese culture (those folks even put them on sushi and eat it, what a trip!) *I just thought it's really neat for Ibanez to finish a guitar with real gold. *I always felt gold color finishes are kind of "cheesy" looking, but not this one. *The foils are extremely delicate and thin, so they don't add much weight at all. *The guitar weighs no different from any other painted RGs. *You can see the rough texture of the gold foils, yet they are so thin such that you can see the wood grain as well. *Of course all of that is protected by the eurethane coating. *Hard to describe how incredible this thing looks under bright light - it's just simply mesmerizing.

This guitar actually changed my view about J-customs. *I've tried the S-body J-custom in Singapore when I met Chris Chen last year. *I didn't like the neck on the S. *However, the RG-GOLD's neck is as comfortable as all the Jems I have. *Kevan you are right on about the tone. *I love the clean crisp sound from those pickups - and, heh heh, it is not a freaking str*t!

Influence from you, Kevan? *Ha, remember I always bragged about getting the RG-GEAR? :biggrin: But I am extremely satisfied with this RG-GOLD. *There's just nothing else like it.

The bummer part is it doesn't come with a J-custom case. *I wonder if you can order one.

Does anyone know how many RG-GOLD Ibanez had produced?
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 06:05 AM

RG-GOLD

Hey David you still coming to Singapore????

I'll treat you to Sushi this time...and erm no gold foils on them sushi!
I wanna see the guitar! Muhahahah! We'll invade the local stores again and try all the guitars!!!

Oh what great fun....

Chris.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 02:07 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
RG-GOLD

since today is J-Custom day

There are TWO models
RG-GOLD1
RG-GOLD2

the GOLD2 has "METALLIC:ZINC SILVER" body sides & back, with the gold foil front and headstock. The GOLD1 is all gold foil.

Neck: DIMARZIO DP193 AIR NORTON
Middle: BLUE VELVET
Bridge: DIMARZIO DP155 TONE ZONE

Enjoy... glen
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 02:50 PM

RG-GOLD

I wish there were pics
Jeez so many different images of how this guitar would look are running through my mind right now! EXCITEMENT!
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 04:06 PM

RG-GOLD

If i ever get my hands on a 540R, i'm thinking of stripping it and doing the body in silver leaf and then having it cleared over.

Sort of a "pseudo Chrome Boy".
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-09-2001, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

RG-GOLD

RG-GOLD1 has made it home safe and sound!
Hopefully pictures will be up by this weekend.

Adding to my family will be another swirl by Herc Fede. *This is the PBK Jay sold me last year. *It took a while but it's worth the wait. *I'll put some pics up after reassembling the guitar soon.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

RG-GOLD

Pictures for my RG-GOLD1 is finally up!

They are big so it may take a few seconds to load.

Front
Back
Headstock
Full shot together with my swirled PBK 'Diablos'

If you want to see more pictures of my "7 weapons" check out my other post in Jem & Universe guitars.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 03:56 AM

RG-GOLD

David! The guitar is really nice...very very sweet. It's more excellent than I imagined it to be...Hong Kong must be a really good place to find lost ibanez treasures!

Congrats man!

Chris.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 04:45 AM

Reviews: 2
RG-GOLD

That is a very nice looking guitar youve aquired. I really like your swirled PBK "Diablos." Nice nice. Who did the swirl job?
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

RG-GOLD

Herc Fede did all my swirls.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 11:12 AM

RG-GOLD

David, RG Art looks sweet !! Congratulations

May I ask how much does it costs ?

c-ya
gilberto

Tags
abalone dot inlays , air norton , chrome boy , clear coat , dot inlay , dot inlays , ebony board , ebony fretboard , fender twin , fender twin reverb , herc fede , ibanez guitars , neck humbucker , pickup combination , tone zone , twin reverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in