rg / jem - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
rg / jem

Hi there,

I had a chance to play a jem 555 today.

I'm really gassing for an Ibanez RG and wondered how the Jem compares to say a 1570 or 2550 RG in terms of feel of the neck? RG's are thin on the ground around here.

I really liked the neck shape and it felt like a quality instrument.
Sometimes you pick a guitar up and just go Yeuch they feel horrible especially around this price point!

I also tried an artcore af105, totally different to the rg but it was also a great guitar.

If only I could persuade the wife I need both!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Re: rg / jem

I think I answered my own question looking on Ibanez's web site.

Seems the RG is one mm thinner. Does this make too much difference?

1mm doesn't sound much. Anyone with a jem and an RG like to comment?

I tried an s1270 (I think thats the number?) It was a nice guitar with a very meaty sound for such a thin guitar. Wasn't so keen on the neck though and was a little pricier at around 900

I have emailed a shop that has rg's listed on their website to see if they have them in the shop so I can go and have a play.

It will mean a hundred mile round trip.
I guess I'll treat the missus to a day out!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratcat69 View Post
RG's are thin on the ground around here.
What?
Pretty much any guitar shop that carries Ibanez are going to have an RG. 555's are probably harder to find.

As with all things you've got to try them out yourself so that day out will be time well spent.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Maybe that wasn't so clear!

Mid to upper range RG's are thin on the ground.

My nearest shop had a Jem 555 and an S series (one of each) and a couple of low end rg350's and grg models. Obviously these sell best and makes sense for them to stock what sells.

I will always try before I buy.
1. It supports my local shop
2. Every single guitar feels plays and responds differently and if you order through a box shifter you don't know what you are getting.
3. You are buying a musical instrument, you've got to use your ears to see if its what you want to hear, not just a fashion accessory!

That day out is looking good!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Take a trip to somewhere like Sounds Great just south of Manchester, or Machinehead down in Hitchin. These shops usually have a really good selection in stock. (obviously check before setting of )

My own view is that the slightly thicker JEM neck tends to feel a bit better but that the trems (in the past at least, new trems are moving so fast it's hard to keep up) have let them down compared to the higher RGs.

I know you like to try before you buy, but at the moment the yen and the dollar are so weak, there's a lot to be said for buying abroad and shipping in. My local shop was part of a big chain that's just closed down and as mean as it sounds, I'm glad, they carried poor stock with worse service and often just bad advice. No-one needs a local shop like that

Rich Harris at Ibanez Rules (see banner above) loves Ibanez guitars and will sell a professionally set up instrument not try to offload onto you what he has in stock today. Support him - He's your local shop on a global scale
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Banned

if you decide to buy a 555 make sure it hasnt got the lo-trs 11 trem, very important
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Cheers Jono,

I've had mixed service from Sounds great, although I have bought guitars from them in the past.

I have seriously thought about buying from Rich Harris having read peoples comments on here and read his website. I know its hard sometimes to get a feel for people over the net but he seems to be a genuine good guy. The only real problem is I'm not sure exactly what I want and so need to try first. I would then feel a bit bad leaving a shop to buy over the net. Also having checked prices Rich would be a little more expensive when you factor in the shipping tax etc (although I know it would be worth it for his set up alone!).

I don't think Ibanez make what I want, but lets not go there!

I think I know who you are talking about with regard to your local shop, have they not just reopened under a different name?? There were two of them in the manchester area, I agree with you they were rarely helpful.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

I wouldn't buy a jem.

I have never really liked the idea of playing a guitar with someone elses name on it.
If I show up for a gig people would insantly think "O.K. Vai wanna be" even though I'm sure the instrument has more to offer, I couldn't get past that.

and before you all start flaming me, Vai is a monster and I wish I had a quarter of his talent, but I am not Mr Vai and have no intention of trying to emulate him, so why should I want "his" guitar?

It has stopped me buying what would be good instruments in the past.

I think the only signature guitar I would entertain is the Eric Johnson strat, nice guitar and his name isn't on the headstock! But I don't want another strat anyway

Sorry I'll get off my soap box now!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Cheers Jono,

I've had mixed service from Sounds great, although I have bought guitars from them in the past.

I have seriously thought about buying from Rich Harris having read peoples comments on here and read his website. I know its hard sometimes to get a feel for people over the net but he seems to be a genuine good guy. The only real problem is I'm not sure exactly what I want and so need to try first. I would then feel a bit bad leaving a shop to buy over the net. Also having checked prices Rich would be a little more expensive when you factor in the shipping tax etc (although I know it would be worth it for his set up alone!).

I don't think Ibanez make what I want, but lets not go there!

I think I know who you are talking about with regard to your local shop, have they not just reopened under a different name?? There were two of them in the manchester area, I agree with you they were rarely helpful.

I'm surprised Rich was more expensive than the UK price!!! I know the list prices are about the same, but oh well.

But no I'm about 100 miles away from Manchester, but it's probably the same chain

These days I wouldn't worry about the Vai association, it's only really the really nerdy guitarists who even know who he is these days so the majority of folks will just see a white guitar with a handle
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

These days I wouldn't worry about the Vai association, it's only really the really nerdy guitarists who even know who he is these days so the majority of folks will just see a white guitar with a handle
You are right I guess, I'm probably just too much of a guitar anorak!!

I think Rich worked out more expensive (or about the same) when you factor in the import duty, but as I said at least you'd get a top set up
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 10:25 AM

Reviews: 10

and on the unlikely chance that somesone in the audience recognises its a Jem guitar that vai uses, he wont tell anyone as they would just go 'who?'.

so yeah dont worry about it
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Jems are very expensive though and after some searching through other posts and looking through the web there doesn't seem to be a massive difference between a prestige RG and a jem.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/...gt-320-q/66968

seems a much better instrument than

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71843

for the same cash. And this

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75417

must be bargain of the day !!!

I just wish I could find a shop that has one I could try (a prestige RG that is ).
One of my local shops said they don't keep them in stock (on the wall)but they do have them, as they sell them through the web and as they don't want to sell them as ex demo I can't play any!

I undestand the sentiment, but I don't want to pay 600+ to find out its not really what I want.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 12:39 PM

Talking Re: rg / jem

I put a Jem neck on an RG body. Was a good choice!

Some pics in here: http://ameba.lpt.fi/~vilkmati/Sontaa/Kuvia/

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

That is one sweet looking RG.

Not too hot on the Jem though...lol!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
That is one sweet looking RG.

Not too hot on the Jem though...lol!
Thanks!

It's an RG470 body with Lo-Pro Edge. I took the cheapest pups I could find but will put in some DiMarzios when I have some extra cash.

Tags
eric johnson strat , neck shape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode