RG with Mahogany body - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

RG with Mahogany body

i dont have experience playing rg with mahogany body.

1. what is the special of mahogany body for rg?

2. actually, i like the sound of gibson sg and ibanez artist (both have mahogany body). can rg+mahogany deliver a good sound of mahogany with clear and sharp sound? some said mahogany have muddy sound.

3. i have rg570 and i want to replace the basswood body to mahogany. what u think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:07 AM

that what i was thinking about..

if you have(the same quality) mahgony body why should'nt it sound like a gibson? max' u can change the p.ups for EMG or smth..
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:33 AM

Re: RG with Mahogany body

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloymetal
...some said mahogany have muddy sound...
they better swap pickups or use their amp knobs.
mahogany enhances mids and basses, it delivers long sustain and a very present tone.
but it also depends on what pickups you put in there. for example, i've got two mahogany guitars: an '87 Saber w/Tone Zone that plays like a human voice, with tons of mids, and a Made in Korea Reb Beach w/IBZ HB that plays like a piano, with tons of (not muddy) basses and long, long sustain.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:59 AM

I also have a 570, and for the longest time, was trying to find the cheapest replacement mahogany body for it.

It came out to around 350 EUR, which was basically a used RG520QS. So, maybe you'd like to search for that on e(vil)Bay, or even here. The RG520QS is a mahogany bodied guitar with a quilted sappely top.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 02:48 PM

My guitar is not an RG, it's a SCA but it's got a mahogany body and I adore the tone of the wood. If you listen to it unplugged you can hear a very nice deep resonance from the wood. It's really sweet sounding.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie
My guitar is not an RG, it's a SCA but it's got a mahogany body and I adore the tone of the wood. If you listen to it unplugged you can hear a very nice deep resonance from the wood. It's really sweet sounding.
I agree, I have an RG 520 with a mahogany body and it's great, a little heavy, but it's worth it for that really nice dark tone you get from it.

I have a set of Evos in it and it just sings. :-)

Mic
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

tq guys....
i will change my rg body to mahogany... no regret.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 08:32 AM

My RG620 has a mahogany body, and it sounds great. It sounded pretty good (imho) with the stock V7/V8 pickups, but it has Evos now and sounds awesome. It's not in the least bit muddy, if anything the Evos sound a tiny bit bright (easily compensated for with the tone knob/amp controls)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 02:01 PM

Scale matters most. A mahogany body 25-1/2" scale with "X" pickups will not sound like a mahogany body 24-3/4" scale with the same pickups.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterlix
Scale matters most. A mahogany body 25-1/2" scale with "X" pickups will not sound like a mahogany body 24-3/4" scale with the same pickups.
Really? That's interesting. How does it change the sound? My neck is listed at 25.1.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 01:57 PM

Shorter scale = less tension to bring the string to pitch.

Also the pickup(s) end up being at a differnt position in relation to the length of the string.

Shorter scale guitars tend to sound a little warmer, when comapared to similar guitars with the same woods and pups.

Mic
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 03:24 PM

Ahh... that makes sense. I need to come here more often, I'm learning new stuff from you guys everyday!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 06:39 PM

That's what we're here for. There is a wealth of knowledge here for the picking.

I've been at this a long time, off and on, and actually started as a semi-pro tech when I was just 18, ran into a lot of problems back then that I had to guess my way through if I couldn't find someone to help me.

Coming to this site I've learned quite a bit that would have come in very useful back then, I could have saved hundreds of dollars on duct-tape alone.

Mic

Tags
basswood body , mahogany body , mahogany guitars , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode