Which RG for me? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Which RG for me?

Hey I need a little help please, I am wanting an RG but unsure which one is best for me.

I "try" to play everything from Vai to blues. Im in the UK and my budget is up to £450 and would prefer to go second hand (you get more for your money right?)

So far I have been looking at RG 550,570s, lower end prestiges and have also looked into the S470 etc models.

Any pointers at this stage would be helpful, for instance is a early 90s 550 a better buy that a newer 870 etc?

Basically which guitars should I be looking out for and I guess which ones to avoid?

P.S just been looking and it appears the 570 became the RG Prestige 1570?

Last edited by WhoMe; 08-16-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:15 PM

Re: Which RG for me?

For your budget, I'd try to find an RG550, RG560, or RG570, depending on your pickup/pickguard preferences. These are workhorse guitars that are still going strong 20 years later. Quality materials, quality hardware, proven track record. Prestiges are also excellent quality instruments, but you start getting into different neck profiles and hardware specs. Again, they're still pro-level guitars, just depends on what your preferences are. And they tend to be a little pricier in the used market.

My opinion is that a nice used RG5XX is a much better investment than a Premium, regardless of how cute the rounded fret ends are. Others will undoubtably argue the contrary.

Last edited by TAorama; 08-16-2012 at 03:37 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:22 PM

What Taorama says, 550,560,570 those are great guitars for the money. If your real lucky you might be able to snag a 750/760/770 inside your budget as well.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I was edging towards the RG5XX myself, pick guards don't really bother me they can be changed, but I would prefer a HSH setup and as far the trems go on the RG5XXXs what were standard on them or do they differ?

Im currently looking at a "94" RG570 with a lo pro, Im thinking this may be the one for me.

Last edited by WhoMe; 08-16-2012 at 03:41 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
Thanks for the replies, I was edging towards the RG5XX myself, pick guards don't really bother me they can be changed, but I would prefer a HSH setup and as far the trems go on the RG5XXXs what were standard on them or do they differ?
Edge or Lo Pro Edge depending on year. Simply the best locking trems on the planet.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Edge or Lo Pro Edge depending on year. Simply the best locking trems on the planet.
Thanks, spot on info and just was looking for on this forum From what I have been able to research so far the early ones came in 1 or 3 piece wizard necks, is that true?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
Thanks, spot on info and just was looking for on this forum From what I have been able to research so far the early ones came in 1 or 3 piece wizard necks, is that true?
Specs here mate:

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG550

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG550_(1997-2002)

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG570
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
My opinion is that a nice used RG5XX is a much better investment than a Premium, regardless of how cute the rounded fret ends are. Others will undoubtably argue the contrary.
Wait, what rounded fret ends?

I thought that was a high-end treatment that all 80s and early 90s Ibanezes got?

The only ones I've played that had rough edges were newer RG3xx and RG4xx models. My RT650, RG750, and Made in Korea EX120 (from the 80s) all have very smooth fret edges.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
Wait, what rounded fret ends?

I thought that was a high-end treatment that all 80s and early 90s Ibanezes got?
I'm referring to the current fret-end treatment on the Premiums. Previously you usually only saw that on the J-Customs. Most of the MIJ production guitars just got a bevel.

I played for 20+ years before I got my first JC with rounded ends. Looks cool, feels nice and smooth, but didn't make me play any better. I never had any complaints about the MIJ ends anyway.

(First two pics from Rich's website)

Premium

Prestige

RG570
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 08:47 PM

Reviews: 15

You can also look for a RG520. Pretty good bang for the buck if you need a 2 humbucker setup with OE.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:20 PM

Even the older 450s (Japan made) are worth considering especially the Edge equipped ones. A few also came with with the real TRS 101 trem (Takeuchi) and are decent guitars too. Both can be had cheap on the secondhand market if you look diligently for one. The Korean made 450s are not as nice. If the trem is stamped Lo TRS "II" stay away. The only key difference really that I can recall is the real TRS or Edge trem on the Japan ones vs the "II" on the Korea ones. Edge or Lo Pro is the better option but the Takeuchi made TRS trems are decent. The Korean II one is utter ****.

Again, only the Japan 450s are worth taking a look at. I think early to mid 90s is when Japan did the 450 series before it shifted back to Korea production. If you come across one give it a testdrive.

Off my memory here so unless I'm grossly not remembering correctly someone here please speak up.

Last edited by jeremywills; 08-16-2012 at 11:28 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:32 PM

Reviews: 2

IF you do go for a prestige on the lower end of the price range,,,,you can get a minty used RG1420F for a super good price. I bought both of mine new, but I'm seeing them now for a steal. They don't come with a hard case or Dimarzios, (hence, the lower price) ,which I had to pay for in upgrades, but let me tell you..........my 1420F's get played just as much as my Jems and PGMs..........they are just totally awesome guitars. Flawless craftsmanship, and a neck that, well, is exactly the same as my 3120F.....to die for. The 1420F is a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED RG!!!!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:40 PM

Reviews: 11

Get that 1994 RG570 you were talking about. Those are killer guitars!

But everyone in here is correct. The RG500 series guitars kill!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and info everyone, I feel a lot more confident with the model numbers now and which trems to avoid etc. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will have my first Ibanez NGD
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
I'm referring to the current fret-end treatment on the Premiums. Previously you usually only saw that on the J-Customs. Most of the MIJ production guitars just got a bevel.

I played for 20+ years before I got my first JC with rounded ends. Looks cool, feels nice and smooth, but didn't make me play any better. I never had any complaints about the MIJ ends anyway.

(First two pics from Rich's website)

Premium

Prestige

RG570
Thanks for posting pics.

So they just rounded them off a bit? Looks nice I guess but probably doesn't have any effect on the playing.

As long as they don't stick out and aren't rough like some of the RG3xx and 4xx ones I've played (some were fine, however. Seems to be random).

Tags
which rg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode