RG-Metal finish - how to do? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

RG-Metal finish - how to do?

I've been checking the RG-Metal and really like the finish; kinda like the Jem90thHAM It's got a rogh texture like knock-down spackle on walls.

I'd really like to see about making a custom Jem/RG using this finish. Does anybody know how they do that?

Also, would it be cheaper to have it done because less filler is needed?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 06:58 PM

Re: RG-Metal finish - how to do?

both the HAM and the RG-metal were sandblasted using a template.

I have a HAM and looking by the resin in the cavity, the entire body was sprayed in resin prior to sandblasting, I don't think it would've been cheaper than using filler on a regular finished guitar per se.

There is a bit of a difference between the HAM and metal, though. The HAM finish is much rougher, perhaps they sandblasted longer on the RG-metal, it could also be a difference in paint.

The paint on the sides of the HAM also rough, but in a different way: it's bumpy.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Could it have been done by taking a regularly finished guitar -- with the thick poly shell -- then just sandblasting off the poly bits and finishing as usual?

Do these guitars have a thick poly finish?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 02:52 AM
Vendor

Every one is different depending on how long it was blasted and how soft or dense that piece of wood was. I've had 90's that were barely any depth and some that were blasted very deep.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 10:11 AM

Post Re: RG-Metal finish - how to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Every one is different depending on how long it was blasted and how soft or dense that piece of wood was. I've had 90's that were barely any depth and some that were blasted very deep.
Interesting, but sounds logical. Each one is also different from the next as the template wasn't put the the exact same spot for every guitar, so while they share the overall shape of the texture, they're not the same. The wood grain also comes through, which is also unique.

Quote:
Could it have been done by taking a regularly finished guitar -- with the thick poly shell -- then just sandblasting off the poly bits and finishing as usual?
Very unlikely.

Quote:
Do these guitars have a thick poly finish?
I'm not sure what constitutes thick or thin, but the finish is about half as thin as the finish on my Jem777DY. (yes I have nicked my HAM in a few spots ) .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 01:35 PM

the finish is like "knock-down" ceilings. i looked in to ways of doing it at home and have come up short on answers.
trying to do it like a knock-down ceiling and clear coating was the closest i could get to a DIYS project unless you have access to sand blasting gear.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking of starting with a used RG550, creating a "random" template, blasting away parts of the finish, then coating the whole thing in a product called luminore (see http://www.luminore.com) which is a spray on metal.

But I wonder, are the RG-Metals heavy? This way might make it pretty heavy.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 09:01 PM

buy a real one......a j custom is no rg 550....and i have both...the 550 and the j custom rg metal...totally different..buy a real rg metal .but if you want to make YOUR guitar....do it!thats always very nice to do...show pictures if you have something....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 10:24 AM

i love that finish. (daydreaming smiley inserted here). the HAM90th is one of my favorite looking Jems. i haven't seen it or the RG Metal in person though to compare which i'd prefer. i only get to admire from a distance or browse Richs' pics in his gallery.
if anyone comes up with a way to do a similar finish at home, i'd love to hear how. i have an alder Jem body that is just laying around at the moment that would look awesome with that finish as well as two RG/Jem converts ready to be refinished.

Tags
clear coat , custom jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode