RG Neck Joint Question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

RG Neck Joint Question

I have been lurking here for a long time, I know the experts here will be able to answer this question:

Which RG models have a standard neck joint and no locking trem? Either fixed bridge or standard tremolo with no locking nut will suit my purposes.

I never knew any RG had this type neck joint until yesterday, I saw an RG on Craigslist and noticed the neck joint was neither AANJ nor the early beveled/angled "some access" joint.

My plan is to put a 24 fret non-locking RG neck on a 24 fret guitar body that has a more normal squared neck joint where an AANJ neck will not work, the neck I saw yesterday will work but I would like something a little more high end if it exists. I would prefer Japanese or Korean but will take what I can get.

I believe the guitar on Craigslist is an RG170 - anybody know of any other 24 fret models with similar neck joints and standard nut but higher quality/fancier inlays, binding, etc?

Thanks in advance. here are some pics of the neck type I need:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:47 PM

Re: RG Neck Joint Question

Ibanez catalog for 1988...1990 would be the place to look.
This can be found on ibanez.com in the catalog archives.

rg550...750...jem...etc
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
Ibanez catalog for 1988...1990 would be the place to look.
This can be found on ibanez.com in the catalog archives.

rg550...750...jem...etc
I took a look, are you referring to the "tilt joint" RGs from 88-90?

I looked through the catalogs on Ibanez.com but didn't see anything with 24 frets and a standard nut.

Also the "tilt joint" necks I have seen all end at I believe the 22nd fret and have an extended fretboard so will not work with the body I have in mind, the body is cut for a full length 24 fret neck.

Here is a pic of the neck heel from the "tilt joint" and "cutaway heel" type guitars:

And here is a pic of the neck heel style I need (as far as I can tell from pics this is what the neck heel on the RG170 in my original post looks like, pictured is a Jackson neck but I believe the neck heel on the red RG170 above is similar):

Does any option other than the RG170 exist?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 07:51 AM

Are you sure that is what you want? I'm asking because I have seen a number of RG170 necks (with the heel as in your posted image) on which people unsuccessfully tried to mount them on a traditional strat body. That throws off the intonation by effectively moving all the frets further from the bridge and thereby lengthening the scale, making intonation impossible.

However, when you say "24 fret guitar body that has a more normal squared neck joint" you indicate that you are probably recognizing the difference between a true "normal" strat heel and one (like the RG170 bodies) which is cut much deeper into the body to allow for an elongated heel on the neck. Hopefully you understand what I'm referring to because these are not interchangeable.

To the question -- the only 24-fret necks I am aware of that have the full extended heel with non-locking nut are indeed the RG170 and some RG120s. However, both of those models changed to AANJ after a couple of years so there aren't many options. I have used RG170 necks on two strat-style projects but I had to route off the extra wood to properly fit the body pocket and keep the scale + intonation where it needed to be. That process converts the neck into the extended fretboard style, as in your "tilt joint" pic.

Good luck!

Last edited by stratoskier; 11-18-2013 at 08:03 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
Are you sure that is what you want? I'm asking because I have seen a number of RG170 necks (with the heel as in your posted image) on which people unsuccessfully tried to mount them on a traditional strat body. That throws off the intonation by effectively moving all the frets further from the bridge and thereby lengthening the scale, making intonation impossible.

However, when you say "24 fret guitar body that has a more normal squared neck joint" you indicate that you are probably recognizing the difference between a true "normal" strat heel and one (like the RG170 bodies) which is cut much deeper into the body to allow for an elongated heel on the neck. Hopefully you understand what I'm referring to because these are not interchangeable.

To the question -- the only 24-fret necks I am aware of that have the full extended heel with non-locking nut are indeed the RG170 and some RG120s. However, both of those models changed to AANJ after a couple of years so there aren't many options. I have used RG170 necks on two strat-style projects but I had to route off the extra wood to properly fit the body pocket and keep the scale + intonation where it needed to be. That process converts the neck into the extended fretboard style, as in your "tilt joint" pic.

Good luck!
Yes, I need the RG170 style full extended heel - The body I want to put it on had a full length 24 fret neck. I have a nice RG neck with the AANJ which would work if I re-shaped the new body's neck joint to match the Ibanez body but I do not want to modify the body.

I knew someone here would know about this stuff - thank you for the info, I will just use a 170 neck and maybe add some cool inlays.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 10:55 PM

Let us know how it plays

Tags
aanj , standard neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode