RG neck plate design - help dating? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

RG neck plate design - help dating?

I've got two RG550s in RFR that have unfortunately lost their serial number stickers. One of them is definitely an 87/88 as it has the basic neck plate as seen in the '88 catalogue (almost flat with "Made in Japan" across the centre) but the other has a cast plate with a big 3D Ibanez logo in the middle and a 6 digit number like the RGs in the '90 catalogue. However being RFR it can only be as late as 88?

Was there a timeline for the use of the different style neck plates, or were they all used at the same time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Dee

Re: RG neck plate design - help dating?

I'm a bit puzzled. Is it not a different neck plate that was added later?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Don't think so. I got the guitar from the original owner and the only thing he changed was the bridge pickup.

Strange huh?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 09:36 AM

What's the six digit number?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Did you buy them new, or used? It's possible one is actually an RG750 that's had a 550 neck swapped onto it. That would explain the cast neckplate. --Jason
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

They were both used. The serial on the cast plate is 80xxxx I think. I'm pretty sure it's the original neck as its headstock is colour matched.

When were the cast plates introduced?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 12:56 PM

That places it as an 88, I've had/seen 540Rs and Ss with 8XXXXX neck plates, so that plate with the '88 s/n isn't out of the ordinary. It very well could be one that went through Bensalem or LA (depending on what the plate says) for whatever reason. I'm not exactly sure how all of that worked.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 12:57 PM

BTW, are these both maple boards with matching headstocks?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Yep, both maple boards and matching headstocks. The serial number on the plate is 80xxxx and there's no mention of a USA address - just a Made In Japane reference and the Ibanez logo. It looks like this (it's very hard to photograph clearly!):

The plate on my other RG550RF is similar to this:

Tags
bridge pickup , neck plate , neck plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode